Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Importing Serato Cue points to VDJ? - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

djrkadePRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hi there,

I've noticed a lot of tracks (especially video tracks I buy) have Serato cue points already pre-set into them and wanted to know how to get those to automatically pop up in VDJ.

Also, are VDJ cue points set to the database file (meaning if I move the file, the cue points are gone?) I'd really like to be able to not lose cue points after spending time to set them.

Thanks for any help and I LOVE VDJ. Can't wait for version 8.

Inviato Wed 09 May 12 @ 9:54 pm

Inviato Thu 10 May 12 @ 7:17 am
Support staff wrote :
Cue points are currently stored in the VirtualDJ database only. Make sure that you keep a regular backup if this information is important to you: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/How%20do%20I%20backup%20my%20VirtualDJ%20database%20and%20settings.html

VirtualDJ does not currently support reading Serato specific data. However, in most cases its generally better to set cue points yourself exactly where you want them, especially if you use always use specific numbers for certain points in a song.

It actually SUX that VDJ can't read Serato Cue points....especially when you have around 15-20 thousand files already with cue points set in Serato and you want to cross over or use VDJ sometimes. Having to redo every cue with as many files as I have would take forever!!!

Inviato Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 2:01 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
How does serato manage the database? Text comparison is with in my coding abilities.

Inviato Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 3:58 pm
ldb1968 wrote :

It actually SUX that VDJ can't read Serato Cue points....especially when you have around 15-20 thousand files already with cue points set in Serato and you want to cross over or use VDJ sometimes. Having to redo every cue with as many files as I have would take forever!!!

That can work both ways, why doesn't Serato read VDJ cue points??

Inviato Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 4:03 pm
you can always use the sandbox function to set your cues while the track is playing live to the crowd. I wouldn't recommend dependency on it, but you can definitely do it when necessary.

Inviato Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 4:09 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :
ldb1968 wrote :

That can work both ways, why doesn't Serato read VDJ cue points??

There are more DJ'S using Serato than VDJ......that's a fact! I like both but switched to Serato DJ a few years ago

Inviato Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 5:02 pm
ldb1968 wrote :
There are more DJ'S using Serato than VDJ......that's a fact!

Can you point us to your source for this fact please?

Inviato Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 5:13 pm
Who cares? More people speak Chinese, Gerbils don't understand quantum physics, I'm convinced that my cat is stealing electronic components to evil ends.
Although to be fair the work put into db management and having to rework it would put may folk off switching.
It would be a cunning ploy if atomix made a converter, serato would have to do the same and databases would be almost standardised.

I'm looking for a example serato db to see how they do it. It cant be much more than what VDJ has,

Inviato Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 5:26 pm
Serato stores that info in the id3 tag itself (I believe) where as VDJ you have to have the database or you got nothing even if you've scanned the tracks a million times.

Inviato Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 6:20 pm
And it stores the frames for the hotcues where?, (Which field?)

* It's comments isn't it, I always wondered what the numbers were about.

Inviato Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 6:23 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No, the serato hot cues are not stored in the comments field. ID3 allow for custom tags - the cues are most likely stored in a custom field..

Inviato Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 1:06 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Yes they are, for example on MP4 files they are stored in com.serato.dj:markers. There are a number of other fields including markersv2. The information stored in these fields is also encoded and as yet I've not found anything out there about them.

Inviato Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 7:17 am
According to a post on the Serato forum (thanks Google) they're stored in the GEOB tag.

Traktor apparently stores them in a separate database (like VDJ) but can also write them to tags.

Traktor is able to import Serato data.

IMO storing the info in a database is a better idea. As long as you've backed that up, you're safe.

Storing it in the files, you'd have to back up every file specifically if/when you added or changed cue points.

Inviato Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 8:22 am
There are also the benefits of not writing to the files - these files could HD video files on a USB hard drive and writing their tags could be comparatively slow. There is also less risk of file corruption if you don't ever write to the file. Plus you still have to keep a database anyway to enable searching.

I wasn't aware Traktor read Serato cue points? I know they used to provide a data import tool for SSL (not SDJ) but I thought they had stopped updating it?

I've pulled all the Serato tag data out of files in the past, that's the easy part. I haven't really poked around attempting to decipher it yet though.

Inviato Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 9:02 am
I cant see it being much more than the cue number and the sample frame number, why would you need anything else.

Inviato Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 9:29 am
From one MP4 file with serato cue points:

com.serato.dj:markers

YXBwbGljYXRpb24vb2N0ZXQtc3RyZWFtAABTZXJhdG8gTWFya2Vyc18AAgUAAAAOAAAA8v//
//8A/////wDMAAABAAAAHvf/////AP////8AzMwAAQAAAD3d/////wD/////AADMAAEAAAM5
8f////8A/////wAAzMwBAP//////////AP////8AAAAAAAD//////////wD/////AAAAAAMA
//////////8A/////wAAAAADAP//////////AP////8AAAAAAwD//////////wD/////AAAA
AAMA//////////8A/////wAAAAADAP//////////AP////8AAAAAAwD//////////wD/////
AAAAAAMA//////////8A/////wAAAAADAP//////////AP////8AAAAAAwAA////c

com.serato.dj:markersv2

YXBwbGljYXRpb24vb2N0ZXQtc3RyZWFtAABTZXJhdG8gTWFya2VyczIAAQFBUUZEVDB4UFVn
QUFBQUFFQVAvLy8wTlZSUUFBQUFBTkFBQUFBQUR5QU13QUFBQUFBRU5WUlFBQUFBQU5BQUVB
QUI3M0FNek0KQUFBQUFFTlZSUUFBQUFBTkFBSUFBRDNkQUFETUFBQUFBRU5WUlFBQUFBQU5B
QU1BQXpueEFBRE16QUFBQUEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAE

I may have a look at the encoding at some point in the future.

Inviato Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 10:01 am
There's a util called ScratchTools that can convert Traktor data (inc loops & cues) to Serato Scratch Live data.

Inviato Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 10:10 am
jakovskiPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006
First of all - they are both BASE64 encoded (UTF8): try out here: http://www.base64decode.org/

After encoding i get something like this:

application/octet-stream��Serato Markers_��������������������=������9������������������������������������������������������������������

Looks like binary stuff..... YOu should use a cmmand line encoder or a decoder which offers the decoded binary files for download.

Greets, Heiko

Inviato Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 11:51 am
Like I say I've not had the time to look into it and I don't anticipate that changing any time soon ;)

Inviato Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 12:00 pm
21%