Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Explicit Lyrics tag

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

ChrisBoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've seen a couple suggestions (color and icon) for explicit lyrics. It seems that it would be a pretty easy database field to add. I think a 3 or 4 state flag would be plenty: Radio, Explicit, Potentially Explicit, NSFC (not safe for church). It also seems that with the various feedback tools available, a tool could be created to scan a library for potential explicit lyrics. Could we at least get a dabase field added?

Inviato Sun 23 Jun 13 @ 11:23 am
From my own experience all that info is in the title of the song, ex Amen (dirty), Amen (clean). I think with 8 you'll be able to color your track titles so you could always associate a color with explicit lyrics or whatever you want. Or you could use field 1/2 and then have it show in your browser.

I still say your track titles should have this info in them......

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 12:49 am
While the track title may indeed often have the information, it's not the same as having a field specifically as a flag.

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 7:34 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Adapt! there are 24 fields already available to you, I use the album field for the month using ie: Apr - May - Jun etc, just place a D there or in one of the other unused fields and problem solved.

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 9:45 am
I thought this forum was for wishes and features... that's my wish for a feature - a database field specifically to flag explicit lyrics. There are lots of ways to adapt, but that's sloppy database management. If you use a field for something other than what it's intended, then you're asking for data corruption and confusion.

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 9:58 am
While you are right about this being for wishes, in my opinion it's sloppy not having your tracks tagged properly with the right info ex Amen (dirty), Amen (clean).

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 10:11 am
Maybe I'm not getting my point across here. Tags come from many sources. Re-writing tags does not write them back to the file by default and not all file support tags, so in the interest of data integrity (between the original file and the database). From a strictly database/data perspective, in order to maintain data integrity with the original file, re-using tags that may be otherwise used is what I'm calling sloppy. A separate, dedicated field for song information that is increasingly becoming relevant is something that just makes sense. The extension of this field would be the ability to incorporate consistent flagging in multiple databases allowing OTHER people to flag songs (even just by title, not just by mix) that there are versions out there that are explicit. If someone comes and requests a song that I don't know, and I find it on groove shark, how am I supposed to know to make sure to look for a radio safe edit?

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 10:46 am
OK so are we talking about your tracks in general or Groove shark tracks?? If were talking about GS then I don't think VDJ has anyway of knowing it's an explicit track because that's up to who ever uploaded it in the first place.

But yeah you never know they might like your suggestions and add them. Peace......

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 11:13 am
Actually, it's about both. It has to start somewhere and if there is going to be any infrastructure "out there" there has to be a place to store it... one step at a time. There's so much cool networking stuff already incorporated, it's just something else to help out.

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 11:26 am
Most people seem to have managed fine so far without a specific tag for explicitness (almost 20 years for MP3s). :-)

Personally, I append the song title appropriately if it's not already marked as such.

Tags don't "come from many sources", they come from you. You're the one buying the music and adding it to your database. You're also the one responsible for checking if it's clean before playing it live.

Re-writing tags does write them back to the file, if you use suitable software for the job (file tagging software).

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 12:07 pm
20 more years and we are going to hear on AIR are bleep...bleep...bleep..bleep....etc for the entire song.

Why can't the Artist just stop the swearing.....

Anyway, I put (dirty) on filenames and in Album names ex. (The Heist) (dirty)

Inviato Fri 28 Jun 13 @ 11:27 pm
I know what you mean. Some artists seem to find success purely because their song has strong swearing in it.

Inviato Sat 29 Jun 13 @ 5:01 am
You guys are right with language lately, and don't even get me started with the video content...

Inviato Sat 06 Jul 13 @ 10:43 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
"Will Smith don't gotta cuss in his raps to sell his records
Well, I do. So f*** him and f*** you too" - Stay classy, Eminem.

Inviato Mon 08 Jul 13 @ 10:41 am
So I know many people use color coding, the custom tags fields (only 2.. really?), or add special characters or words to their other tags, but I think there should be a simple, dedicated way to flag a track as Explicit (ie: dirty). This would be so helpful and free up other fields so they can do what they are supposed to do.

One thing I can think of is just a simple checkbox. The flag should be written to the audio file itself (not just the VDJ database). Then, in the track browser, we can either show/hide the explicit column or who some kind of badge, kind of like how in iTunes a track is marked with a small "E"

A more flexible option would be to have a field as a pull down list where you can just choose a value such as "clean","explicit", etc. This makes it more flexible and can be more helpful to users with more specific needs. Maybe a rating system like they do with movies or TV shows (M = Mature, Y=Youth, etc.) could work too.

I'm not sure if there are any standards for audio, but if not.... hey this would be a great place to start.

Any of these should not be difficult to implement in a future release. I just think that everyone needs to agree upon how to do it and then make it happen. Please comment if you agree or have other thoughts. Maybe we can get Atomix to to something like this sooner rather than later?

Inviato Tue 07 Aug 18 @ 4:25 pm
DjTechOnline wrote :
So I know many people use color coding, the custom tags fields (only 2.. really?), or add special characters or words to their other tags, but I think there should be a simple, dedicated way to flag a track as Explicit (ie: dirty). This would be so helpful and free up other fields so they can do what they are supposed to do.

One thing I can think of is just a simple checkbox. The flag should be written to the audio file itself (not just the VDJ database). Then, in the track browser, we can either show/hide the explicit column or who some kind of badge, kind of like how in iTunes a track is marked with a small "E"

A more flexible option would be to have a field as a pull down list where you can just choose a value such as "clean","explicit", etc. This makes it more flexible and can be more helpful to users with more specific needs. Maybe a rating system like they do with movies or TV shows (M = Mature, Y=Youth, etc.) could work too.

I'm not sure if there are any standards for audio, but if not.... hey this would be a great place to start.

Any of these should not be difficult to implement in a future release. I just think that everyone (including record pools) needs to agree upon how to do it and then make it happen. Please comment if you agree or have other thoughts. Maybe we can get Atomix to to push something like this? If enough people agree, then maybe this can become a best-practices standard of sorts.

Inviato Wed 22 Aug 18 @ 2:14 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)