Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: karaoke list app? - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Hi everyone. Im wondering does anyone use tablets/ipads for singers to select their karaoke songs.Books seem so dated now not to mention its lots of pages to get in a binder which falls apart or gets wet!!! anyone using a cleverer system yet? cheers guys
regards Trev

Inviato Tue 17 Dec 13 @ 11:01 am
Seems like a great idea at first, but then I think about the people that would use it. I have to fix my books constantly, because of abuse. I would think the tablet would have to be mounted onto an unmovable object. We are talking about people that are drinking.

Inviato Tue 17 Dec 13 @ 12:54 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I have tried using laptops in the past. People still looked for the books.
Tablets have gotten cheaper. Maybe something with an OtterBox and a mount like stated above.
I may try one again in the next year to see how it goes.

Inviato Tue 17 Dec 13 @ 3:04 pm
Totally agree with risks mentioned but as stated tablets are so much cheaper now and the military grade protective cases available maybe 2 tied to a table near setup seems an attractive alternative to constant repair of books. Problem I think is finding an app that works. Airier only supports windows or macs not ..... Just realised iOS is iPad wonder if it works?

Inviato Tue 17 Dec 13 @ 6:14 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Maybe a smartphone app, or just a webpage for that matter, where punters can look through your list.

Inviato Tue 17 Dec 13 @ 7:51 pm
Maybe try a style sheet that workes with the existing database. PDF seemed to combersome for people to use for me. I haven't tried a style sheet and web page yet.

Inviato Tue 17 Dec 13 @ 7:57 pm

Inviato Wed 18 Dec 13 @ 11:23 am
There are a few solutions available for this. I met a few of them at DJ conventions. One will actually transfer all of your books for you. I will have to look for the info.

Inviato Wed 18 Dec 13 @ 11:23 am
I decided to go a little further and created an application for touch screens that was both a karaoke database and song submission system. Got rid of books, slips and pens. The one problem is the occasional heart sinking when some idiot goes up to it and pretty much starts thumping the screen but there are a few things that can be done to reduce risk of damage.

Inviato Wed 18 Dec 13 @ 2:50 pm
si1988uk wrote :
I decided to go a little further and created an application for touch screens that was both a karaoke database and song submission system. Got rid of books, slips and pens. The one problem is the occasional heart sinking when some idiot goes up to it and pretty much starts thumping the screen but there are a few things that can be done to reduce risk of damage.

A bat?

Inviato Wed 18 Dec 13 @ 7:09 pm
This thread has caused me to loose a few hours. I started playing with stylesheets and have managed to get the browser to populate the information. I need to find out why my data base has empty fields for some of the karaoke titles and authors. I am rescanning and repairing to find out if that is the issue. My files are zipped, so id3 tag info does not fill if I am correct. I thought it entered the information from the filename, which is why I renamed the files the way I did. I'll find out when its done scanning.

Inviato Wed 18 Dec 13 @ 7:13 pm
I just simply publish my songs on a web domain..., used wordpress and a table plug in

www.karaoke.sureview-online.co.uk/karaoke

very simple , but works ok for my small events, I still have a couple of books, but anyone with a smart phone can look the list up online

Inviato Thu 19 Dec 13 @ 6:47 pm
I have started a little project which is essentially a database exported as an xml file that is a forced home page on an anyone-can-connect wireless router (no real internet access, just points every single domain name to the same one saved page)
Not connected to playing out computer so no issues with who connects, etc. so anyone can search from their own smartphones, ipads, etc.
This worked well when I didnt have a big song collection! Now though its a bit sluggish and struggle with routers not having a big memory for the file.
My new plan is spare laptop, usb bootable linux thumb drive so no risk to normal OS install, and a live song request system of some kind!
Alhough I will admit im a bit out of my comfort zone so if anyone has set up linux style web servers or can recommend a good tutorial (as googling gives very mixed results) I would really appreciate it.

Inviato Fri 20 Dec 13 @ 8:55 pm
Oh and I used to prepare slides for a slideshow on the projectors between songs grouped with new releases, songs by one artist at a time, etc. but i would love to have it overlayed over the bottom of the screen like the phone and request a song number lists they had on the music channels MTV, etc (remember when they actually played music?) from a database, as the slides got really laborious to keep updating so they kind of fizzled out.
Anyone have any ideas where to start with creating a text based overlay from a database?

Inviato Fri 20 Dec 13 @ 9:47 pm
spud1511 wrote :
I have started a little project which is essentially a database exported as an xml file that is a forced home page on an anyone-can-connect wireless router (no real internet access, just points every single domain name to the same one saved page)
Not connected to playing out computer so no issues with who connects, etc. so anyone can search from their own smartphones, ipads, etc.
This worked well when I didnt have a big song collection! Now though its a bit sluggish and struggle with routers not having a big memory for the file.
My new plan is spare laptop, usb bootable linux thumb drive so no risk to normal OS install, and a live song request system of some kind!
Alhough I will admit im a bit out of my comfort zone so if anyone has set up linux style web servers or can recommend a good tutorial (as googling gives very mixed results) I would really appreciate it.

I have been doing kiosks for different solutions for a while now. My first karaoke solution I spoke of earlier was using this same solution.

http://www.binaryemotions.com/easy-digital-signage/
I've been using this one with good success this year for a registration solution at Skydive Chicago.
It is capable of hosting websites, this may give you both a local and accessible solution. I have not looked into it more yet. I need to learn more about working with the XML myself first.

Inviato Fri 20 Dec 13 @ 10:04 pm
spud1511 wrote :
Oh and I used to prepare slides for a slideshow on the projectors between songs grouped with new releases, songs by one artist at a time, etc. but i would love to have it overlayed over the bottom of the screen like the phone and request a song number lists they had on the music channels MTV, etc (remember when they actually played music?) from a database, as the slides got really laborious to keep updating so they kind of fizzled out.
Anyone have any ideas where to start with creating a text based overlay from a database?

Maybe an overlay with an Essential Media plugin, or SBDJ scroll text plugin.

Inviato Fri 20 Dec 13 @ 10:35 pm
Hi Blckjck,
I think you might have slightly misunderstood, I was meaning the laptop functioning as a local web host that feeds the pages to connected devices on the local network (to overcome the routers page size limitations) and shows me the requests as they come in.
But that said, I have bookmarked the link you gave with the mindset that it would be a perfect add-on to what I am trying to do for when the inevitable 'i dont have a smartphone' etc comes along as it looks absolutely perfect for adding a public use terminal afterwards. Thanks for link!

Inviato Sat 21 Dec 13 @ 5:20 am
spud1511 wrote :
Hi Blckjck,
I think you might have slightly misunderstood, I was meaning the laptop functioning as a local web host that feeds the pages to connected devices on the local network (to overcome the routers page size limitations) and shows me the requests as they come in.
But that said, I have bookmarked the link you gave with the mindset that it would be a perfect add-on to what I am trying to do for when the inevitable 'i dont have a smartphone' etc comes along as it looks absolutely perfect for adding a public use terminal afterwards. Thanks for link!

The "public terminal can also work as a web server. Or, you can use that district to host as a server and show you the request page. It's based off Debian. They also have ready to use LAMP packages that get a server up and running quickly. I like this solution because it can boot and run on any PC. If something happens to the one your using, your not rebuilding it.

It can install on a DVD or on the hard drive so you don't even have a USB stick sticking out.

Inviato Sat 21 Dec 13 @ 1:07 pm
Ya there are a lot of possibilities for a technical solution to this problem. The best one we found and use for our live venues is: https://karaokedj.com The reason we like it is because it is extremely easy to use and 100% cloud-based (so no software) & simply requires an internet connection (which everyone already has through their phones). Once our db was loaded in, we give our guests business cards with our branding and logos and they scan the QR code on the business card with their phones and have full access to our songs and submit their requests! Very slick.

Inviato Wed 17 Sep 14 @ 4:28 am
the web site to karaoke dj does not work and the phone is busy

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 3:34 pm
43%