Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: scarlett 2i4 audio interface compatible? - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

This usb audio interface looks amazing.......but before I buy, one question:
Does anyone know if the headphone output monitors just the masters on the box, or can it be routed to the pfl in vdj8?

If not, any other suggestions? I would like a mic input, 2 stereos out (one balanced if possible), and a headphone socket!

Thanks all :-)

Inviato Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 4:55 am
If you look at the front of the unit, you'll see it has a headphone source switch. This allows you to listen to either channels 1&2 or 3&4.

Inviato Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 5:06 am
Would that mean it cannot be patched through software? If so, they have missed a huge market :-(

Inviato Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 5:28 am
What do you mean "cannot be patched"?

It has two stereo outputs. The headphone can listen to either one.

So......you can either configure VDJ to send master to one channel, cue to the other (and leave the headphone set to listen to the cue channel) or you can send each VDJ deck to a dedicated channel and switch the headphone between them to cue whichever deck you want.

Inviato Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 5:36 am
My bad, having another senior moment.... well explained, thanks for clarifying!!

I'm going to order one, but sneak it past the wife ;-)

Inviato Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 5:47 am
What about the Hercules Deejay Trim

Inviato Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 7:05 am
looks like another worthy contender......AND six outputs!

Inviato Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 7:13 am
DJ PhatsoPRO InfinityHercules Support TeamMember since 2005
Be aware that the DJ Trim will work in 2 different modes:

- 4 Inputs/ 4 Outputs

- 2 Inputs/ 6 Outputs

Inviato Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 7:28 am
Purchased the scarlett 2i4. Great from what i can tell from the reviews. I need to get started and im having issues tryin to record a set. Im running a american audio 10mxr (midi 2ch. Mixer) with virtual dj8 and the scarlett. I have all the goods setup everything in vdj setup. Not sure i have my inputs outputs right. Just want to be able to record the way i did before i went external with vdj? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance

Inviato Sat 05 Nov 16 @ 4:32 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
So, you want to use your new sound card for outputs instead of the built-in sound card of the 10MXR, or use that just for recording ?

Inviato Sun 06 Nov 16 @ 3:24 am
Hello RobGmixes :-)

The Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 1st and 2nd Generation is compatible with V DJ, every Audio Interface is compatible with V DJ as long as it's compatible with your operating system (Windows 7, Windows 10 etc.).

Recently I needed to purchase an Audio Interface for my Gigs.

A DJ Shop were I've purchased most of my gear let me try out the Audio Interfaces.
Which I did. I took them home and tried them out.

I have professional Studio Monitor Speakers at my home studio so I could listen to each Interface with detail.

One of them was the Focusrite 2i4 2nd Generation.
I wouldn't recommend this Interface, it's designed and specialized for Home Studio Recordings and not designed for DJs.
Although it provides the outputs that a DJ needs, it Lacks in Volume, it doesn't give the proper sound that a DJ needs for a Club or a Bar, it doesn't give that extra Punch that you need !!!
It's just good for recording-listening to your work in detail, but not the type of sound you would need for a Gig.
I was disappointed with it's sound ...

An Audio Interface that is Specially designed and Aimed for DJs is the Novation Audiohub 2x4.
It provides you with all the outputs that a DJ needs. Including Balanced Outputs.
It's both USB bus Powered and it has an External Power Adaptor.
It has a Power Hub with 3 USB 2.0 ports were you can connect all your USB Devices.
It's in the same price range as the Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen.

And the Best of All. It sounds Fantastic !!! It gives you that extra Punch that you need, the sound has more (Structure) and you will never run out of Volume, it always has more to give you !!!

I've tried this Interface in many different Clubs and Bars and it always sounds Amazing.
I'm completely satisfied with it.
For it's price range it gives you more !!!

I think you should Google it and Check it Out !!!

Inviato Mon 07 Nov 16 @ 8:58 pm
OK l'm guessing this is all history to the OP now but ....

RobGmixes wrote :

lol you badboy

djjohnnyrox wrote :

RobGmixes wrote :

DJ Phatso wrote :

- 4 Inputs/ 4 Outputs

- 2 Inputs/ 6 Outputs

Am l the only person seeing only 3 outputs on the Hercules DJ Trim? I thought only in the DAW world would that be 6, but for DJing where each out = a speaker pair, that'd be 3 outs surely?

SpBlackCat wrote :

I have professional Studio Monitor Speakers at my home studio so I could listen to each Interface with detail.

I wouldn't recommend this Interface, it's designed and specialized for Home Studio Recordings and not designed for DJs.
Although it provides the outputs that a DJ needs, it Lacks in Volume, it doesn't give the proper sound that a DJ needs for a Club or a Bar, it doesn't give that extra Punch that you need !!!
It's just good for recording-listening to your work in detail, but not the type of sound you would need for a Gig.

An Audio Interface that is Specially designed and Aimed for DJs is the Novation Audiohub 2x4.
It provides you with all the outputs that a DJ needs. Including Balanced Outputs.
It has a Power Hub with 3 USB 2.0 ports were you can connect all your USB Devices.

And the Best of All. It sounds Fantastic !!! It gives you that extra Punch that you need, the sound has more (Structure) and you will never run out of Volume, it always has more to give you !!!

I've tried this Interface in many different Clubs and Bars and it always sounds Amazing.

I'm no audiophile but l think you're saying the Focusrite2i4 = bad sound because it's flat, "unsweetened"?

But surely nightclub speakers would have their own EQ dials, and / or surely the DJ mixer could EQ the sound, make it punchy?

Inviato Mon 07 Nov 16 @ 11:02 pm
Yeah agree with you there nutter. I have the focusrite 2i4 myself. I bought it purely because of sound quality, and the sound quality is amazing. Its like audiophile reference headphones though, lots of people say they dont sound good. they dont understand that they are neutral reference headphones. Just like the 2i4, designed to produce a natural sound, as it was intended, not to artifically inflate the bass. That is exactly what you want, the true sound, you can then eq all you want. I run mine into an analogue mixing desk and then out to the speakers, so i can completely control the eq. I guess if you are running the speakers straight from the interface, then yeah, you have no real control over the sound.

Inviato Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 9:01 am
original nutter wrote :
OK l'm guessing this is all history to the OP now but ....

RobGmixes wrote :

lol you badboy

djjohnnyrox wrote :

RobGmixes wrote :

DJ Phatso wrote :

- 4 Inputs/ 4 Outputs

- 2 Inputs/ 6 Outputs

Am l the only person seeing only 3 outputs on the Hercules DJ Trim? I thought only in the DAW world would that be 6, but for DJing where each out = a speaker pair, that'd be 3 outs surely?

SpBlackCat wrote :

I'm no audiophile but l think you're saying the Focusrite2i4 = bad sound because it's flat, "unsweetened"?

But surely nightclub speakers would have their own EQ dials, and / or surely the DJ mixer could EQ the sound, make it punchy?

original nutter and Andy7689

I'm sorry guys but this is my opinion.

I'm not saying that Focusrite 2i4 is a Bad interface, but not the best.

It's not designed or destined for DJing and that's the Truth.
It's aimed for Studio Recording. It can be used from DJs, but it's not the best choice.

I've compared Native Instruments Audio 2 mk2, Focusrite 2i4, Numark IO 2, Novation and some other Interfaces.

The Best Sound came out of Novation, more Rich with Structure, with beat and that Extra volume you need for DJing.
Of course for it's price range. Because there are more expensive Interfaces, but for it's money it offers you a lot in a compact size.

But Sound is a Personal Matter when it comes to Audio Interfaces and Speakers.

I'm just pointing out the Pros and Cons.

Inviato Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 1:08 pm
and one more thing I forgot to mention,

The Novation Audiohub 2x4 was built in cooperation with Focusrite, the chip-set inside is Focusrite engineering-technology.

This because Focusrite and Novation are sister-companies.

The difference is Focusrite designs products for Studio Recordings,

Novation for Live performances and DJing.

Big difference in use.

Inviato Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 1:16 pm
Yeah we all have different opinions, and that is good, and mine is different to yours. You're right, the focusrite is not specifically made for djing, it's made for studio recording primarily. However, what do you want a dj interface to do? You want to be able to cue, and have low latency. The focusrite does both and has the lowest latency of anything in its class, so my opinion is, why not have the functions you need for djing, coupled with studio sound. If you need more punch, then eq, or turn the dial on the sub. Sound on sound magazine did a review on the novation hub, which I was tempted to get at the time, but the review said that it was loud, but the sound quality was no better than the internal soundcard of the laptop. So guess it depends on whether you need something loud or not. Loudness isn't really that importan to me because everything has to be run into the mixer at 0db so even on my focusrite the volume knob is never above half to get the right gain structure before the mixer. This is just my opinion.

Inviato Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 2:19 pm
Andy7689 wrote :
Yeah we all have different opinions, and that is good, and mine is different to yours. You're right, the focusrite is not specifically made for djing, it's made for studio recording primarily. However, what do you want a dj interface to do? You want to be able to cue, and have low latency. The focusrite does both and has the lowest latency of anything in its class, so my opinion is, why not have the functions you need for djing, coupled with studio sound. If you need more punch, then eq, or turn the dial on the sub. Sound on sound magazine did a review on the novation hub, which I was tempted to get at the time, but the review said that it was loud, but the sound quality was no better than the internal soundcard of the laptop. So guess it depends on whether you need something loud or not. Loudness isn't really that importan to me because everything has to be run into the mixer at 0db so even on my focusrite the volume knob is never above half to get the right gain structure before the mixer. This is just my opinion.

Like you said it's good to have different opinions :-)

and Sound is Personal matter when it comes to Interfaces, Speakers and Stereo Systems.

The review that you read:

"Sound on sound magazine did a review on the novation hub, which I was tempted to get at the time, but the review said that it was loud, but the sound quality was no better than the internal soundcard of the laptop"

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Magazines, Reviews etc. etc. are so Full of S**t !!! Like a Salesperson they only want to Promote what the are being Paid for ..!

A few years ago, companies like Hercules, Reloop and many others, used to promote Virtual DJ by giving a Light Edition of the software program and a 50% discount for upgrading to the Full version. Nowadays most companies, DJ Shops and Magazines are promoting Traktor and Serato as the better software program than Virtual DJ. Saying that it has better Sound Quality, Functionality and Lower Latency.

Can you believe that ?
Software that costs around 80 Euros better than V DJ that costs around 320 to 340 Euros.

Don't Believe what you read, that is why I preferred to Listen to them first before I decided to purchase one of them.
I have stopped years now taking reviews seriously. It's like trying to learn Martial Arts from Youtube.

I hear you my friend, your satisfied with Focusrite 2i4, and that's Cool for me and I Respect your Opinion.

But before you mention that a device has bad sound, that was mentioned in a review, from the Many that Exist.
Consider this ?

I've Listened to Focusrite 2i4 and compared it with other Interfaces.

Have you listened to Novation Audiohub to form an opinion ?

I think it isn't wise to let a Review affect ones opinion on any subject, it's all about Marketing these days ... and if I did, I would be using Traktor instead of Virtual DJ.

Inviato Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 5:08 pm
Yeah you have a point. I haven't ever run my audio through a novation hub, I have also never run my sound out of my mixer and into a pair of qtx speakers, though I'm reasonably confident it would be shocking. That said, I'm sure the novation hub is a good interface. Buy the point of my initial interjection was that the guy had asked about his sound with the focusrite, he already has one, and you jumped in to tell him it was crap, just because you couldn't get it loud enough, which isn't a problem with the interface, many don't even have volume control because the mixer should be doing this bit anyway. I just wanted to add some balance and tell the guy that actually he bought a decent interface if used properly. Neither of which answers the guys question.

Inviato Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 6:11 pm
Andy7689 wrote :
Yeah you have a point. I haven't ever run my audio through a novation hub, I have also never run my sound out of my mixer and into a pair of qtx speakers, though I'm reasonably confident it would be shocking. That said, I'm sure the novation hub is a good interface. Buy the point of my initial interjection was that the guy had asked about his sound with the focusrite, he already has one, and you jumped in to tell him it was crap, just because you couldn't get it loud enough, which isn't a problem with the interface, many don't even have volume control because the mixer should be doing this bit anyway. I just wanted to add some balance and tell the guy that actually he bought a decent interface if used properly. Neither of which answers the guys question.

I see your point Andy.

Because I'm a DJ on the Go (Mobile DJ), I've played in Nice Venues with Amazing Sound Systems and Crap Venues with very Bad Sound Equipment.
In either situation, with my personal experience, you need something Powerful and Punchy.
In one Club that I DJ at, the sound system is so Amazing that you can play with your on-board Laptop Sound Card and still get Good Sound Quality.
In another Club, although it's considered one of the Major ones, the equipment that they use is so bad, that Focusrite wouldn't be powerful enough to pull it off.

A resident DJ knows the Clubs equipment better than the anyone else, so in this case he knows exactly what his needs are.

I'm afraid I'm not one of them. Maybe because I like changing places, one place seems a bit boring to me.
I have a lot of friends who are DJs and I've seen their equipment fail sometimes or are not good enough to meet the standards that are required.
Truth is, sometimes I get carried away from some bad experiences that I've had or seen.

For what it's worth, I never trust reviews, salespersons and sales-representatives etc etc. Because in most cases, they either have been proven wrong or have never DJed, so they lack in experience in order to advise properly. So I only trust what I've tried out and tested myself and only then, through personal experience will I say my opinion.

I understand your point of view and thank your for you time Andy :-)

Inviato Tue 08 Nov 16 @ 11:39 pm
Hi there SpBlackCat, no worries, l'm not partisan about Focusrite, except the actual brand name is a bit dull given their popularity.

My point was, as l mentioned:

You want punchy sound. You complain that Focusrite gives you audio realism (ok ok of course you could spend more and get better realism).

That is because punchy is not realism.

All l'm asking is: can't you add the punch, by the proverbial "Cut the mid range, drop the bass [and pump up the treble]" - aka the "smile" EQ?

After all, surely it would broadly then be similar from track to track so no need to make huge changes from track to track when you're DJing and sending audio thru the "realism" Focusrite?

Or is your complaint that: If you EQed via DJ mixer, for example, you would have less room to twiddle EQ dials in the mix, because the "smile" EQ that you need to add "punch" has physically taken up most of the room on your mixer sliders?

But then, surely the speakers themselves would have EQ dials? [I have no idea, l know little about speakers]

Therefore l don't see the necessity to have a soundcard that sweetens the sound / adds punch, when you could add punch at the speakers, or the DJ mixer (see above, probably not a good idea) or .... one more option: the soundcard's own software settings? Surely the soundcard's GUI will have a 10 band EQ or something like that, with plenty presets, right? My mobo's Realtek sound chip lets me EQ :)

Inviato Wed 09 Nov 16 @ 3:10 am
80%