Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is anybody using VDJ 8 without issues? - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Hi guys just wondering if anybody has managed to use VDJ for an entire gig without any big malfunctions? If so could you please share details of the setup you are using below, I.e computer make, model + any midi controller info

I'm due a new laptop and am just curious to see if it tends to be more stable on certain systems.

Cheers in advance

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 3:06 pm
I've tried for the last 4 or 5 gigs and always ended up going back to 7. The last couple on different machines it has just completely frozen and not even created a crashguard.

I'm running out of patience to keep trying to be honest. My new DDJ-SX2 won't be supported in VDJ7 so I may just have to move to Serato DJ 1.7

Keith

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 3:40 pm

Its so frustrating coming from a software that was unbelievably stable with anything I could throw at it to something that can't even last a gig without throwing a fit!

I keep saying it but I'm so disappointed with version 8, I don't understand why they had to start from the ground up when all version 7 needed was an upgrade in sound engine.

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 3:58 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I appear to be running it fine on a variety of controllers, and decks. Where there has been a issue it was caused by my lack of understanding. It has took me over a month to get use to VDJ, it is a big jump from 7.

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 4:00 pm
cleio81PRO InfinityMember since 2012
I've actually had very few problems with VDJ 8. aside from that crazy karaoke snafu that happened in the update before last.

I'm using a HP Envy running windows 7 (screw windows 8), with a 4th gen I7 core, 16 GB Ram, and a Beats audio card (not the best I know but it's what I could afford at the time). there are only two other programs on the computer and all of my music is on externals to keep everything moving quickly. I've been using that for a long time. I just added the Denon MC6000MK2 as well, seems to work beautifully.

If you want more specs on the computer let me know. I rather enjoy working with computers and have put together several high functioning rigs.

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 4:20 pm
Hi cleio81, you have a very nice laptop. I last week wanted a cheap backup laptop. What I had available was a 1200mhz Celeron, with a 120gb hdd, and 1gb of memory. I tried to run it using a Native Instruments Audio2dj usb card, it was useless. I immediately thought that Vdj was a resource hog. Hm..well it run well using a Behringer UAC202, and also using its own built in sound card. I have many laptops, you don't need a top spec laptop to simply play a song. Nor do you need an Apple Mac at a price which will empty your wallet, and then still give you configuration problems.
People need to learn how to manage a computers resources, not hurl a sack full of money at the problems.

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 4:37 pm
cleio81PRO InfinityMember since 2012
bigron1 wrote :
Hi cleio81, you have a very nice laptop. I last week wanted a cheap backup laptop. What I had available was a 1200mhz Celeron, with a 120gb hdd, and 1gb of memory. I tried to run it using a Native Instruments Audio2dj usb card, it was useless. I immediately thought that Vdj was a resource hog. Hm..well it run well using a Behringer UAC202, and also using its own built in sound card. I have many laptops, you don't need a top spec laptop to simply play a song. Nor do you need an Apple Mac at a price which will empty your wallet, and then still give you configuration problems.
People need to learn how to manage a computers resources, not hurl a sack full of money at the problems.

This is very true. I actually scored that laptop for around $500. just knowing when to buy, what is really important, and where to find the coupons can be really important. I am also known to be something of an overachiever when it comes to my DJing....
That and I needed something for video mixing (because that is more fun. ^-^)

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 4:44 pm
PS. Windows 8.1 is also fine, we have that running well on a new Asus laptop which we use alongside a ddj-sx which we have only just got back after a 2 month period of repair by Pioneer sub contractors.
There are a lot of people about who cannot configure, or use a computer.

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 4:45 pm
I use VDJ8 with a pioneer xdjr1 and a self built pc (i5, 8gb ram, 250gb ssd, 4tb hdd, win 7pro). I mix videos and run presentation and tickertape software simultaneously...... no problems at all yet, after a couple of months (3 nights per week).

Sometimes the asio driver fails to initialise and I have to pull the usb, but once connected its been rock solid :-D

Inviato Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 11:29 pm
DJJAMMPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Been using vdj8 for about 5 6 months now, its been rock solid, now i have induced my own problems ..example hot swapping hdmi cables while gigging.. vdj stayed playing fine but my video window would not exit my notebook screen , I created the problem and fact that im not up on all the correct shortcuts for ver 8 to turn video off and on. the reason im stating this is there is a manual and if you read it usually has info in there, so my laziness on reading has been my downfall.. I love vdj 8 and since the team is getting closer to perfect timecode dvs engine. It could be there is no other software out there that comes close .. This just may be fact VDJ may just have become the best and i mean this on what its abilities as a dj software versus all the others what it does and what they can do, If the rumors are true that the dvs engine is fixed then seriously vdj is better than the all other competitors out there, the only thing thay had on vdj was timecode(DVS).
One very important thing I would like to also state. Cpu and gpu are so important in selecting a notebook or desktop for djing especially if you do video mixing and plugins etcc.. If you plan on using vdj and want a good laptop stay away from Best Buy and Department Store run of the mill basic notebooks. you need to find a computer reseller that you can build an MSI ,Sager, Asus, Gigabyte and Alienware is even good, Even a good lenovo custom build. I know from experence. if you have any questions about computer selection pm me i will give you my honest experience information. for those running motorized platters you need a processor thats a lot faster than the mininmum hardware requirement.

DJ JAMM

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 1:07 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
No problem here !
Using with Video Output and have no problem now.
I have to say that the latest updates (beta) has given me more stability.

ASUS G55 3630QM 16Gb Ram, 2Gb Video, Windows 7
Pioneer CDJ2000 X 2, DJM2000 both in HID/Midi mode.

Like DJJAMM say, you need a good computer to perform.

Freppa

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 2:41 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
No problems on my end. What I think is, some, not all but some, of the users having issues are not fully testing and preparing their set ups prior to taking them live.

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 7:04 am
I can crash it just by scrolling through my effects fast on my DDJ SP1, this can and does happen every time I scroll through them.........had and still have the same problem with 7. I would something as simple as changing effects wouldn't be a big deal but it's to much for VDJ no matter the version.

I see Don started a thread in the beta section but everyone seems to be side stepping or trying to place blame somewhere else when I also believe it's a VDJ problem and the effects themselves........

With all that said I've only used 8 live once and it held up. I had one problem where it seemed to sound like I had a dirty needle. The funny part about thAt is, I was using cdj's so not really sure what happened there.

If you use 8 at a gig and it messes up that your fault........

One more thing for you cats quoting the guy right above you, STOP IT please, lmmfao!!

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 7:27 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
If it's crashing while scrolling through the effects it's likely to be an incompatible effect trying to load.

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 7:40 am
Hi beatbreaker1, it is more likely that it is your fault that you cannot scroll through the effects. We can with a DDJ-SX. You do not mention what type of laptop you are using? The video plugins are the most likely suspects for overloading the resources of your computer. Just remove some of the plugins in turn, and work out which is the problem. Make sure your computer is optimised for VDJ. That is an art all by itself.
Don't just blame VDJ for your shortcomings, which is indeed what I have been wrongly doing in recent weeks.
I have been amazed by how good VDJ is when it is fully understood, including the features of its mappings. Understanding the mappings is difficult because there are few guides. Studying the mappings themselves is worthwhile.

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 8:39 am
Nice try fellas but this is not my fault, PERIOD!! Doesn't matter if I use a Mac or my Windows based machine, doesn't matter if it's an audio effect or video effect, if I scroll theoigh them fast it'll crash VDJ.

And this leads to my next point, why is it so hard for y'all to believe that VDJ is at fault here?? This has been happening for a couple of versions now!! And why should I have to remove ANY plugins when they are to best tested by the team before being made avaible for download??

As for the mapping, what the hell does that have to do with this?? So your saying the supplied mapping is wrong??

As for my machines I use either a 2011 MacBook Pro i7 with 16 gig of ram with a 1 gig video card and the other is an Asus i7 with 16 gig of ram and a 2 gig video card. As for being optimized, this isn't my first rodeo as I've been doing this a long time.

NEXT............

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 8:51 am
I don't think a DJ has the right to expect a computer to be plug and play out of the box.
All sorts of factors come into play, such as firmware, software, and bios upgrades.
On top of the software problems we have hardware issues.
As the clever geeks take the lead the required IQ of a DJ has jumped in recent years .
Money will not buy perfection, hard work might.
Such is life.

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 9:07 am
Great so now I'm an idiot yet you still never answered any of the above questions 👍

Have a beautiful day, I'm done here ✌️

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 9:11 am
"As for the mapping, what the hell does that have to do with this?? So your saying the supplied mapping is wrong??"

I was blaming VDJ8 for problems, and it turn out I did not understand some of the new features in the software.
The mappings are critical, if you do not fully understand what your controller is doing it is your fault when things go wrong.
I have had to study the mappings closely to enable faultless performance. So many functions are often layered upon a single button or knob.

The mappings are CRITICAL.

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 9:23 am
To add to the importance of the mappings I will point out that resourceful DJ's tailor the mapping to their personal needs.
Plug and play boys are going to be left far behind.
Our DJ world is changing.
It is my belief that Pioneers CDJ dominance is close to collapse.

Inviato Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 9:30 am
61%