Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Adjusting the Level of Auto-gain to avoid the Limiter from kicking in, please help ... - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Hello People,

I have read in the forum that if I reduce the DB in the auto-gain then the Limiter won't kick in that easy, especially when I add more base or middle frequencies to the song, because it will have more headroom, now with the slightest adjustment the Limiter kicks in easily distorting the song ...

What I read is that I have to change the Value from 1 to either 0.750 or 0.800, so I can either have 0.250 or 0.200 for headroom.

The problem is that I can't seem to find the option so I can make such an adjustment to the auto-gain (Gain), can someone please help me out ?!?

I've searched all the options in the configuration and I haven't been able to find it ...

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 7:35 am
because I am new in the Forum and with VDJ8 I don't want to make a mistake that will effect the software in any way ...

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 7:37 am
I will appreciate any help, answers or opinions to this problem !!

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 7:40 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
search for zeroDB

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 8:03 am
zeroDB, do you know where this is exactly located so I can adjust the Value ???

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 8:06 am
Just search for it...

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 8:15 am
the option zeroDB only gives you the ability to adjust GAIN -3, -6, -9, -12 DB ...

is there any other option or adjustment on VDJ8 where you can place the value 0.750 or 0.800 like I had read ???

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 9:07 am
or does this option maybe only exist in the previous version VDJ&7.4.1 ...?

can someone please help me out with this ...?

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 9:08 am
Just input the number. Try stuff, it doesn't cost owt.

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 9:34 am
does anyone else have any other opinions or solutions on this subject ???

I'll appreciate any new information on this subject ...!

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 1:52 pm
The options have changed, but you can input any value you want, say 0.75. If that does not work for you, you can always go back to default.

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 2:52 pm
Locodog has given you the info that is for this subject.
Instead of writing numbers, you now select in dB.

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 2:53 pm
Or you could lower your input and raise your output.

Inviato Sat 16 May 15 @ 3:01 pm
Thank you locodog for your help :-)

Thanks MrJackson2014 & A Man and His Music :-)

I'll try the info that you all have given me out and see the results !!!

Inviato Mon 18 May 15 @ 7:42 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Am I right in saying that because the limiter is applied to the master volume (internally), when playing in external mode the limiter is likely to kick in because VDJ reads the internal level created by having two tracks playing together at full volume with full EQ, in other words VDJ isn't considering the fact that the signals are being divided by two channels. In this instance surely it'd be better to disable the limiter?

I'm using a DJM900 as a soundcard/external mixer, and even with the gain level set at 0.75 (as per the old version/settings) the limiter is still kicking in slightly and I can hear the sound 'peaking', of course the files are standard.

Inviato Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 2:48 pm
truth is it is never a good thing to disable the limiter it functions even in external mixer mode if u output clipped material to the mixer it would sound like crap

each line has a limiter and so does the master if in internal mode.

each line has a limiter still in external mode..........

slightly hitting the limiter isn't a issue but if u can hear distortion or the light never goes off something needs adjusted.

Inviato Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 3:20 pm
My concern is that the behavior of the limiter is based on the idea that most users are using controllers only (internal), so what's the optimal solution if you're using an external mixer? Increase the headroom to offset the master gain kicking in unnecessarily? This isn't really an ideal solution for external mixer users - although I may be wrong in the way I'm understanding the software's role here.

Inviato Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 3:32 pm
in external mixer mode the software is only controlling the line level going into the mixer you really want that to be clip free right?

zeroDB still adjust the line levels if that is the question.

i let someone else more articulate explain it more :-)

Inviato Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 3:42 pm
Where is the "Get limiter value" derived from? The master, lines or both? I've been seeing this kick in albeit slightly.

Of course I want clip free sound, but I'm trying to avoid the limiter needing to kick in at all. It seems that I need to move to -6db to guarantee the limiter from kicking in, at -3db there is still a prospect of entering the red based on the way the software is using these values.

Inviato Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 4:03 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you are using external mixer, then independent limiters are used on each of the deck outputs. So it's not considering the mixed level of both signals in that case.

Inviato Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 4:42 pm
69%