Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Whats the future of Virtual Dj - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Theres so much fixing and tweaking going on with V8, i wonder whats in store with future updates and features. Like what happen to the timeline feature. Reason im asking is becuase im stuck between VDJ and TSP, basically the remix decks in traktor is the reason i use traktor...is there a comparable feature in the works.

Inviato Wed 27 May 15 @ 6:03 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
The remix decks in Traktor are terrific.
However, there had to be one, the people here have constructed an open plan sampler on which they will focus a great deal of attention, and they will surpass the Traktor remix decks.

Inviato Wed 27 May 15 @ 6:40 pm
that would be cool, i think being able to control the pitch of the samples would be a great feature...but we will see, mix on....

Inviato Wed 27 May 15 @ 10:29 pm
No major features have been added since V8 was released and some from the previous version are still missing. Who knows ..... and you should know by now that Atomix don't announce their plans to anyone!

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 1:49 am
Yeah Like Keith has said nothing major has been added and some old features which in my opinion shouldn't have been removed still haven't been brought back, hell that stupid glare on the rhythum wave is still there!!

I love VDJ as much as anybody here but something's are pushing me away.

I'm hoping things turn around but this is not what I waited 2 1/2 years for.........

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 9:28 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
There has been no major features added, true but getting V8 stable is the priory (this is the foundation on which everything else will be built). The CU debacle hasn't helped, (just before there was some really interesting additions) but there has been some small additions (with little to no fanfare) Colouring tracks via script, a small thing that has saved me 1000's *5 seconds, repeat_start scripts (still learning applications for this) Script in search (a great idea)

PFFX, Flip are proven in concept, I just need to learn more C++ to turn them into plugins. I've also ideas for a sample sequencer (think like the beatgrid fx gui calling samples)
Remix decks I can't see a problem other than making it accessible to the majority of HW. I see it using decks instead of the sampler. but will most likely need an auxiliary HW.

My future wishes that I can't solve myself is greater VST hosting (loading FXP's to 3rd party vst's, Glitch2 being my prime desire, effectrix works well enough though)

Win 10 with holo view may lead to some very interesting developments (given time we could have holo HW)
Check out the seaboard grand for interesting future tech.

Final note reasoned ideas is the currency to get new features, saying "I want X feature like Y software" is weak, saying "I want X like Y and I imagine it will roughly work with Z type of script" is something the devs are more likely to look into, because if you look back what was a user plugin that was popular, gets added into the program.

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 12:05 pm
So in your last statement your basically saying unless we know our way around script we might as well not even ask for anything??

There's only a few of you script kings around and I think that says a lot!! It's hard for most to grasp (well for me it is).

The script makes VDJ stupid powerful but at the same time it's a curse because if you don't understand it, forget about it. Example would be the last couple of updates have been script based. If you took a poll I bet only a few people here actually will know how to use them. So on that alone what good are these updates??

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 1:03 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
He's saying that when you make a request it's better to give real world application rather than just because software x has it. It's like when people say they want 'more effects' - it's not exactly helpful. The more specific you can be with a request, and the more weight you can give to it the better (that's not a dig at you Huey, you're generally quite specific with those requests, but not everyone is!) as after all a dev then has to imagine that request, it's implementation and usage, then actually go away and do it.

As for the usefulness of scripting, well, it doesn't always impact an end user directly however often new script commands are a result of a mapping requirement for a controller. So it might not impact you directly, but if you're using a controller that works better as a result of that change then you are benefiting. Ditto for plugins, often script changes can assist plugin authors, so again that can benefit you.

As you know we generally don't talk about what we are working on or what is coming next, but I can assure there is plenty happening!

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 2:01 pm
Doesn't really seem that way from the outside Scott.

When v8 was announced it then took ages to finally come out. Then we were told the initial release was just the start of bigger things .... and that was over a year ago.

Excuse me if I don't hold my breath!

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 2:08 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
No my last statement was meant to read "If you understand what is possible within the current system, then you can put forward more credible/actionable ideas.

The ball never stops rolling, keep up.

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 3:34 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Same here Scott, been over a year since I asked for those blank monitors to be reverted back to the way they worked in v7 and all the other versions, God knows why it hasn't or won't be fixed. And not forgetting the little matter of returning or replacing clipbank, we spoke on that but nothing has happened.

This is not a pop at you mate, more at the system we have to live by, bit like Newcastle United... we get no info from them either, underlying feeling is, what was promised or anticipated for video sampler in V8 has not been delivered and appears we are stuck with a choice of liking it or lumping it, me, like a lot of others are still running V7 simply because of the inadequacies of the video sampler.

Yet the basic premise of it in V8 offers so much promise, but the neglect has left it like the black sheep of the family.

If there is no one available or able to tackle the video sampler can that person not be sourced from outside the company?

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 3:47 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
The blank video screens is design intent. The work around if you don't like it is a skin edit.

As for clipbank, well I have been tinkering with something, but you still have slideshow which does video, and you have the video sampler - which AFAIK its only problem is that it can't be a visualisation? I don't know what you think is missing from it that we promised?

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 4:43 pm
I ask for features x and y because they might be a great idea, and remember this 99 decks thing so we are capable of this feature, also these other softwares are trolling our feature request thread, im sure they are, because they implement our ideas and taking them...might as well take a few of theirs....

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 6:01 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Spend some time using a Pioneer mixer (DJM2000 or DJM900) and play with the effects, the filter high/low pass, echo, delay, phaser, reverb, slip roll etc, some of them are post fader too. Now go from that to any controller of your choice, lets say a DDJSX...good luck in the FX department, you've just experienced a MASSIVE downgrade. Serious pro grade standard FX are what's needed, whether free or paid I'm happy.

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 6:15 pm
locodog wrote :
No my last statement was meant to read "If you understand what is possible within the current system, then you can put forward more credible/actionable ideas.

The ball never stops rolling, keep up.

It's just "1's" & "0's" it can do whatever.......within the possibilities of the current programmers.

Sometimes I feel like they don't think as a DJ would but then again I don't know who they are or what they do........

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 7:29 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
"Sometimes I feel like they don't think as a DJ"
Their not DJ's, their top of the range programmers/developers.
Their as good as you get.
It's down to experienced DJ's like yourself to push them in the right direction.
You're important.

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 7:39 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
SBDJ wrote :
The blank video screens is design intent. The work around if you don't like it is a skin edit.

Nope, I don't like it one bit.

Why would somebody deliberately design out a visual aid that has been used for years? I just cannot see the reasoning to it and, in it's place put blank screens, that simply is beyond my comprehension. Those monitor screens gave a great visual aid as to whether the deck is running live or not.

Maybe's this is one of the reasons why visual samples don't work unless there is a music video in one of the decks.

As I haven't mastered the black art of skinning, I'm in the hands of a white knight in shining armour (better known as Dan, lol) he has been great trying to help me out but obviously he has commitments elsewhere before my request gets on a list.

I never said I'd been promised anything (oops, looks like I did, lol, on this occassion), what I did say (usually) was the video sampler had shown great promise initially in the pre alpha forums and what was discussed there.

SBDJ wrote :
As for clipbank, well I have been tinkering with something

Great news that you may get the chance to bring a version of clipbank back, (slideshow is a poor mans version.)

Sorry for banging on about it, but who else will you guys have a chance to moan about over coffee, if I didn't do it, lol.

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 8:02 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
because they implement our ideas

And in some cases do it better!!

bagpuss wrote :

Spend some time using a Pioneer mixer (DJM2000 or DJM900) and play with the effects, the filter high/low pass, echo, delay, phaser, reverb, slip roll etc, some of them are post fader too. Now go from that to any controller of your choice, lets say a DDJSX...good luck in the FX department, you've just experienced a MASSIVE downgrade. Serious pro grade standard FX are what's needed, whether free or paid I'm happy.

Agreed!! But then everybody wants to throw the whole "but we can use VST's" at you. Yeah some great but just not practical to use in a live setting.........

Just like I said in my thread in the plugins forum, this is the last time I'm asking for anything...........

Peace, Love & Chicken Grease ✌️

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 8:12 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Inviato Thu 28 May 15 @ 8:48 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
tayla wrote :
SBDJ wrote :

Nope, I don't like it one bit.

Why would somebody deliberately design out a visual aid that has been used for years? I just cannot see the reasoning to it and, in it's place put blank screens, that simply is beyond my comprehension. Those monitor screens gave a great visual aid as to whether the deck is running live or not.

The deck previews show the video that's coming from the decks. What you see there is what will be used by the video crossfader and selected transition.

Video samples and master visualisations are rendered directly on the output. They are not affected by the transition and are not deck-specific, therefore it's illogical that they would appear on the deck preview.
On the default skin the master and deck previews are all shown together, so you don't really miss anything that you can't see either.

Inviato Fri 29 May 15 @ 2:59 am
56%