Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Does Virtual DJ support Rekordbox?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so here goes:

I am currently a Virtual DJ (VDJ) Pro Infinity user. I have both VDJ 7 Pro and VDJ 8 installed on my DJ laptop.

I'm planning on purchasing a Pioneer XDJ-R1 controller. There a section in the documentation that indicates that I need to prep tracks with rekordbox onto a USB stick in order for the controller to be able to use them. This is meant to be used as a back up in case the laptop crashes and my primary DJ app (VDJ) is not available.

I know, with VDJ, I can import pretty much anything iTunes related, but my question is:

Since the controller is sold with a version of VDJ (LE); does VDJ allow me to import music, playlists and so on from the rekordbox software also?

Thanks!

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 5:07 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
There is not currently any Rekordbox library integration for any VDJ version.

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 1:22 pm
The XDJ-R1 is designed as a stand-alone unit, for those who don't want to use DJ software.

It isn't even supported as a controller by Pioneer's own Rekordbox DJ software.

If your primary choice is VDJ I would suggest you investigate a controller such as the DDJ-SX2, which has a mixer section with line inputs, so you can run a backup player through it if the laptop crashes.

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 5:45 pm
groovindj wrote :
The XDJ-R1 is designed as a stand-alone unit, for those who don't want to use DJ software.

It isn't even supported as a controller by Pioneer's own Rekordbox DJ software.

If your primary choice is VDJ I would suggest you investigate a controller such as the DDJ-SX2, which has a mixer section with line inputs, so you can run a backup player through it if the laptop crashes.

The "all-in-one's" like this unit are DESIGNED to have the flexibility to be used WITH a laptop and DJ software Like VDJ as a controller with the OPTION to be used as a stand alone unit using either the CD players built into the unit OR the USB ports built into the unit.

By the way, the XDJ-R1 also provides a wireless interface to connect to an iPad (you have to download the app, but the app is free). So that's 4 optional ways to use 1 device.

Option 1) Controller with VDJ
Option 2) Stand Alone unit with USB sitck
Option 3) Stand alone unit with CD Players
Option 4) Combination of iPad + any of the above

The reason I am interested in this piece of gear is because it provides additional capabilities without having to purchase additional gear keeping my mobile setup to a minimum while still providing "back-up" options to running a laptop.

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 6:38 pm
Oops, sorry - I just realised that I've got myself confused between the R1 and the new RX.

The things I mentioned are true of the RX.

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 7:01 pm
Rekordbox DJ doesn't exactly support a whole lot of controllers right now anyway because they JUST released the software. (https://www.rekordbox.com/en/support/link.php)

Rekordbox (the library management tool) is required for using a USB stick in the XDJ-R1.

The R1 comes packaged with VDJ LE - so, it can be used as a controller.

None of this is really all that important since it wasn't really related to my original post. I only wanted to know IF VDJ supported anything from the rekordbox library management side. This was me trying to find out if I could avoid iTunes by using the rekordbox library since I have to use it to prep USB sticks for use with the XDJ-R1 anyway.

This question was already answered.

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 7:11 pm
FYI there's some software called Rekord Buddy by Next Audio Labs which is designed for importing and exporting of various DJ software libraries.

RB version 2 is very close to release, and they plan to add support for Virtual DJ - which does mean that you will be able to swap/share between Rekordbox and Virtual DJ libraries.

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 7:31 pm
With the amount of Pioneer gear out in the DJ profession and Pioneer's current lean towards requiring rekordbox library management; it will most likely be only a matter of time before Serato and VDJ (possibly a couple others) start making adaptations for importing library stuff directly from rekordbox.

I'll have to Google the stuff you mentioned and see if I can find it. Not having to use 2 library management tools (rekordbox & iTunes) sounds great; although direct import into VDJ and not needing additional software to do the same thing sounds way better.

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 7:41 pm
In vdj 8 there is a new feature called "my library" basically it works like rekordbox . You can separate your crates by year,bpm and even harmonic value . Check it out on plugins " addon"

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 12:15 am
stevonatty3 wrote :
In vdj 8 there is a new feature called "my library" basically it works like rekordbox . You can separate your crates by year,bpm and even harmonic value . Check it out on plugins " addon"

Again, this isn't what I'm looking to do.

1) The Pioneer XDJ-R1 REQUIRES tracks to be processed through the RekordBox Library Management tool in order for the Controller to recognize the tracks from a USB Flash Drive.

2) If I have to use RekordBox to process tracks to use a backup device (USB Flash Drive); I would prefer to be able to export the tracks from RekordBox to VDJ and a USB Drive, that way, I could just process my whole library ONCE and then just pick and choose what songs I want to put on the USB Drive; thus eliminating multiple library management tools and using only the one I will HAVE to use anyway.

3) To any VDJ Developers: You may want to figure out a way to support RekordBox File Management since Pioneer seems to be heading more and more in the driection of FORCING people purchasing Pioneer DJ Gear into using RekordBox in part or in full (some newer Pioneer Controllers ONLY work wih RekordBoxDJ Software).

Inviato Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 5:10 am
The only Pioneer controller I'm aware of that we don't support is the RZX.

Every other controller works with VDJ, meaning you don't have to use rekordbox at all if you don't want to.

Inviato Tue 13 Dec 16 @ 8:44 am
SBDJ wrote :

Every other controller works with VDJ, meaning you don't have to use rekordbox at all if you don't want to.

Okay, you all seem to be missing the point here....

In order to enable the XDJ-R1 Full functionality in USB Mode (see picture), the tracks on the USB have to be processed through RekordBox.
https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product/all-in-one-system/xdj-r1/black/overview/

If I have to use RekordBox to process tracks for the USB; I would rather be able to process my entire DJ Library and choose which tracks I want on the USB as a backup to the Laptop.

The problem here is VDJ (as far as I know) doesn't support the tracks processed through RekordBox. So processing the entire library would be a waste of time when it comes to using a laptop, this would cause me to essentially have 2 libraries. One Library for the RekordBox Tracks to be put on the USB and One Library for the Laptop.

This means I have to either use 2 different Library management tools [primary Library (laptop & iTunes) and backup Library (USB & RekordBox)] OR I would only use RekordBox for the USB and manually manage the rest of my Library.

Once again, if you haven't noticed, Pioneer is progressively starting to force people to use RekordBox in some fashion for their newer controllers. It would be wise of VDJ to support tracks processed by RekordBox.

Inviato Tue 13 Dec 16 @ 9:18 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Maybe I'm wrong, but 'processing' tracks with rekordbox is also simply creating a database with info no?
If the songs are just copied in mp3/mp4 form to the usb stick, it's not problem for vdj to read them from the usb stick as well.

Inviato Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 9:29 am
Adion wrote :
Maybe I'm wrong, but 'processing' tracks with rekordbox is also simply creating a database with info no?
If the songs are just copied in mp3/mp4 form to the usb stick, it's not problem for vdj to read them from the usb stick as well.

That's one thing I'm not sure about.

I read the software manual and it "sounds like" it just adds tags (BeatGrid, Cue Loop, Match and My Tag). The Manual says it supports MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF, Apple Lossless File and FLAC.

The only problem is this is the "input" file format and the manual doesn't mention an output file format.

I know iTunes will take your MP3 library and basically make a "copy" of it in the AAC format and I'd rather not have to keep 2 copies of my library on one hard drive (seems to defeat the purpose of having copies).

The only thing the manual specifies in the "Export" section is that Playlists created in RekordBox are exported as rekordbox.xml file format.

I guess I was hoping to find someone here that has used RekordBox and could tell me what it does and whether or not I would be able to use the tracks in VDJ.

Inviato Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 10:17 am
As far as I am aware, Rekordbox doesn't change the format of the audio tracks when it exports them. If they start off as MP3s, then they will still be MP3s when Rekordbox exports them to the USB flash drive. For starters, changing from one compressed file type to another would reduce the audio quality.

I think Rekordbox just creates a database file on the drive along with the exported tracks, that their hardware (CDJ, XDJ etc) reads.

It's also not a 100% necessity to run files through Rekordbox to have Pioneer hardware play them. They will still load and play "unprocessed" straight from a drive.

FYI I have Rekordbox DJ myself but exporting tracks for playback on Pioneer hardware is not something I do. I just know how it works!

Inviato Wed 14 Dec 16 @ 8:54 pm
groovindj wrote :
As far as I am aware, Rekordbox doesn't change the format of the audio tracks when it exports them. If they start off as MP3s, then they will still be MP3s when Rekordbox exports them to the USB flash drive. For starters, changing from one compressed file type to another would reduce the audio quality.

I think Rekordbox just creates a database file on the drive along with the exported tracks, that their hardware (CDJ, XDJ etc) reads.

It's also not a 100% necessity to run files through Rekordbox to have Pioneer hardware play them. They will still load and play "unprocessed" straight from a drive.

FYI I have Rekordbox DJ myself but exporting tracks for playback on Pioneer hardware is not something I do. I just know how it works!

Thank you for the information. It was helpful.

The XDJ-R1 information page says
"Analyse your tracks in the included rekordbox™ software and load via USB to access a host of exciting features including Beat Sync and Quantized Beat FX."

So, it sounds like it can play tracks straight from a USB, but in order to use some of the features of the controller such as the sync button as well as loops that will automatically start on the next beat (quantize); I need to use RekordBox and then export the tracks.

While I understand I need to know how to beat match and loop manually; it's nice to have "get out of jail free cards".

At the end of the day, I'm really trying to figure out whether I want to spend almost $1,000 on a controller and then not be able to use everything efficiently (process tracks and make playlists with RecordBox, then "export" to an external hard drive for use with Virtual DJ and export separate tracks and playlists to a USB thumb drive as a backup to play straight from the controller).

The only thing I'm not sure of is if VDJ can use the RekordBox information (will cue points show up? will predefined loops work properly? will playlists appear in VDJ? etc.)

Inviato Thu 15 Dec 16 @ 5:21 am
DJ Wyld 1 wrote :
The only thing I'm not sure of is if VDJ can use the RekordBox information (will cue points show up? will predefined loops work properly? will playlists appear in VDJ? etc.)

As said earlier, no, there is no library integration with Rekordbox.

Inviato Thu 15 Dec 16 @ 2:32 pm
@DJ Wyld 1, if you want to buy a product like this (able to play files without a computer) then you will just have to bite the bullet. The convenience of having standalone playback is offset by the inconvenience of the analysis.

It's not just Pioneer that uses their own app to do the analysis. The same is true of Denon, Numark, Stanton and undoubtedly others. Some players are capable of onboard analysing, but it's usually much slower than via a computer. I've had both Denon and Numark stuff that's required their own "librarian" software.

See my earlier post about Rekord Buddy. VDJ support is planned. You just might have a rather long wait!

Inviato Thu 15 Dec 16 @ 6:10 pm
SBDJ wrote :

Buenas y sabemos si será RZX compatible con virtual Dj soon

Inviato Fri 16 Dec 16 @ 3:16 am
i guess importing tunes from one to another can be done easy but i just open both programs vdj and rekordbox side by side and created a playlist in vdj and just selected the tracks from my other playlist in rekordbox and dragged them over to the vdj playlist.

Inviato Fri 15 Jun 18 @ 4:54 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)