Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Boot camped Mac, use PC or Mac?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I've got a mid 2010 MBP 15" i7 boot camped with W7. I've used the PC version for DJing since the Mac was new nearly 6 years ago mainly because I was 100% video DJing. As we all know the video side was always better for the Video 'extras' that were not available on the Mac side. I did have a short few weeks in the autumn of 2014 using the Mac version of VDJ on Maverick OS doing weddings.

After 'upgrading' to Yosemite I found the Mac almost unusable and very slow, so, returned to the PC version for DJing. Recently, after upgrading to El Capitan, the Mac has become much more responsive. Also, I have just upped the memory from 4gbs to 8gbs and found VDJ8 working great on the Mac side. I've had the 8gbs installed before but had 2 complete shut downs with a full dance floor 2 consecutive Fridays in my nightclub residency over 3 years ago. The Applestore 'geniuses' claimed it was the Crucial memory causing the crashes. So, reinstalled the original 4gb and never had another crash. Thought I'd give the 8gbs another chance and so far, so good.

There's a few weeks til the wedding season kicks in again so I'm copying all my history, playlists (70!!) and virtual folders for use with the Mac side. I mainly do wedding work now and sadly don't do video anymore, although, video works great on the Mac side too. I'm sure there will be plenty of Mac users that use nothing else but the Mac version of VDJ.

Would love to get a new Mac, but, funds are limited, so, now that the price of SSD has dropped as well as capacity has risen, I'm thinking of upgrading with a Crucial 1tb SSD and swapping out the DVD drive and installing the current 750gb main drive in there. This would eliminate the need for an external HD for the tunes and videos (would still carry it to gigs for backup).

Any opinions on these plans guys?

Inviato Wed 10 Feb 16 @ 2:06 am
I use a 2010 macbook pro 13 that is bootcamped.... I was doing video as well , with vdj7 I did not like the way it ran on the mac side for video so I ran it with windows. With VDJ 8 the mac side does video very well, and as always with either 7 or 8 it does music perfectly. The only benefit I see for using windows is that there are more plug ins available. For me stability on VDJ is rock solid on either operating system. I still tend to use the windows side more just because of my old playlists

Inviato Thu 11 Feb 16 @ 3:47 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I still get people wanting me to play cd's, does this not happen to you?
If I'm using my MC3000 all I have is my DVD drive which I would not want to lose.
Would you not then need a cdj if you did swop out your DVD drive?

Inviato Thu 11 Feb 16 @ 8:59 pm
I swapped my DVD drive for a 2 tb hard drive As far as putting someone's cd or usb drive in my computer I would never do it All You need is for someone to had me a virused usb drive or cd and your night is over

Inviato Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 12:59 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
That's a point I needed reminding of, I've allowed a two people to use usb flash drives on my karaoke nights, and an important birthday party client to use cd's.
I trust these people.

Hm.. one day this will go wrong.

Inviato Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 1:06 am
@bigron1 - In 18 months of doing weddings I've only had about 3 or 4 CDs handed to me with the first dance, only one of them had a pre-mix of tunes that the bride and groom had created. That's the only time that I would use someone else's CD, it's unlikely the bride and groom would sabotage their own wedding lol. All the others I already had the tune in my database. It's easy enough to carry an external DVD drive that connects through USB for those rare occasions. Nearly all weddings I do I already have the first dance, if not, I have access to the venue's wi-fi.

@djjohnnyrox - have you tried copying your playlists over? It's dead easy on VDJ8. I currently have 70 playlists, I use the Mac Finder to go to the Windows VDJ Playlist folder and copy them, then go to the same Mac VDJ Playlist folder and paste (overwriting previous playlists). As I use an external HD drive for all my music, the Mac playlists are connected to the tunes automatically. Try it. ;-)

Inviato Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 1:44 am
Funny how things turn out.

Had a string of major cashes at home two weeks ago. Took it to the Applestore, they tested it and found the 750gb internal HD dying. I've now fitted a Samsung 500gb SSD. The Samsung cloning software supplied spent three hours copying then crashed at 99% stating that it could not adjust the partition size due to errors on the source drive (going from 750gb to 500gb but with only 300gb of software to transfer). After fixing permissions on the Mac partition and CHKDSK on the PC partition set it away for another three hours and found the same error, grrrrrrrr. Probably the fault on the drive causing this (2 bad sectors). Gave up with this software.

Then used Carbon Copy Clone to copy the Mac partition to the drive (split to 250gb each for Mac and PC). The Mac works great (and fast!), have not been so successful with the PC partition. Tried an img copy and failed to make a bootable partition. Spent way too much time trying to copy it, so, DJed last nights wedding with the Mac version quite happily. Thinking of redoing the Bootcamp from scratch with a new fresh copy of Windows 7 (and maybe try W10). Not too bothered about DJing with the PC version now that the Mac version has matured. But, would still like it available as a backup + there's also software on the PC that's not available on the Mac (and vice versa).

One thing I discovered using the Mac version (El Capitan), analysing tracks and changing the colour in the browser would not 'stick'. Found a setting in the options 'Options/Browser/readOnly' that was set to 'yes'. Changed it to 'no' and all is fine. I use Paragon NTFS for Mac OSX and use an external 2tb NTFS HD for all my music and videos. In a few months I may get a 1tb SSD to fit in the DVD drive tray to store my music and vids (and carry an external DVD drive for the rare occasion I may need one).

OK, back to the grind, got a playlist to assemble for tonights wedding.

Inviato Sat 19 Mar 16 @ 11:43 am
I just cant wrap my head around these YOU Mac Fanboys thinking ya think ya shit don't stink just because ya use macs & look down on Pc users but 4ever on here @%^&%#$@#$ talking about BOOTCAMP ??? why why if mac are so superior why even mess with windows since your precious macs are so much better ??? just stay in your lane and use you high priced macs......my specs on my WINDOWS laptop will run circles around your macs i come to realize most DJ's get a @$%^%^#$ mac just so they can look cool & show that sorry azz apple logo to the crowd.... hey look at me ya i have an apple logo shinning to the crowd. always on here CRYING about bootcamp SAT IN YA;S OWN LANE.......

Inviato Sun 20 Mar 16 @ 8:58 am
djtyme209 wrote :
I just cant wrap my head around these YOU Mac Fanboys thinking ya think ya shit don't stink just because ya use macs & look down on Pc users but 4ever on here @%^&%#$@#$ talking about BOOTCAMP ??? why why if mac are so superior why even mess with windows since your precious macs are so much better ??? just stay in your lane and use you high priced macs......my specs on my WINDOWS laptop will run circles around your macs i come to realize most DJ's get a @$%^%^#$ mac just so they can look cool & show that sorry azz apple logo to the crowd.... hey look at me ya i have an apple logo shinning to the crowd. always on here CRYING about bootcamp SAT IN YA;S OWN LANE.......

Since I speak English it's hard for me to understand what you are writing but I think you're asking why a Mac user would boot camp his computer.

The reason , because we can.....

Inviato Sun 20 Mar 16 @ 9:48 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
The reason , because we can.....

Welll, PC users can also install OSX on their system (Hackintosh) - so that's not a unique thing :-)

It's not something I'd ever do anyway.

I've tried using Macs once (Mac Mini) but couldn't stand the min/max/close buttons being on the left. Since then, the Mini was pressed into service as a NAS, running Windows XP.

Inviato Sun 20 Mar 16 @ 11:06 am
Once I was 7 years old; running VDJ on a PC. Then I discovered OSX

But honestly; I started on a PC, used it professionally for a year and got tired of crashing. 10 years with a Mac and not 1 crash even after a MGD bath one night. OSX still performs better than 64 bit Windows.

And yes; I have Bootcamp. It runs Windows better than any PC I have used. I use it to play Steam games not available on OSX and to run the Powercommander application for my motorcycle. That's it.

Inviato Sun 20 Mar 16 @ 5:34 pm
gstribPRO InfinityMember since 2010
DJSoulman wrote :
I've got a mid 2010 MBP 15" i7 boot camped with W7. I've used the PC version for DJing since the Mac was new nearly 6 years ago mainly because I was 100% video DJing. As we all know the video side was always better for the Video 'extras' that were not available on the Mac side. I did have a short few weeks in the autumn of 2014 using the Mac version of VDJ on Maverick OS doing weddings.

After 'upgrading' to Yosemite I found the Mac almost unusable and very slow, so, returned to the PC version for DJing. Recently, after upgrading to El Capitan, the Mac has become much more responsive. Also, I have just upped the memory from 4gbs to 8gbs and found VDJ8 working great on the Mac side. I've had the 8gbs installed before but had 2 complete shut downs with a full dance floor 2 consecutive Fridays in my nightclub residency over 3 years ago. The Applestore 'geniuses' claimed it was the Crucial memory causing the crashes. So, reinstalled the original 4gb and never had another crash. Thought I'd give the 8gbs another chance and so far, so good.

There's a few weeks til the wedding season kicks in again so I'm copying all my history, playlists (70!!) and virtual folders for use with the Mac side. I mainly do wedding work now and sadly don't do video anymore, although, video works great on the Mac side too. I'm sure there will be plenty of Mac users that use nothing else but the Mac version of VDJ.

Would love to get a new Mac, but, funds are limited, so, now that the price of SSD has dropped as well as capacity has risen, I'm thinking of upgrading with a Crucial 1tb SSD and swapping out the DVD drive and installing the current 750gb main drive in there. This would eliminate the need for an external HD for the tunes and videos (would still carry it to gigs for backup).

Any opinions on these plans guys?

What i would recommend you do is upgrade your ram to 16gb and upgrade your hard drive to a 1tb ssd on your current MBP. I have a macbook pro 13inch 2010-2012 model and I run VDJ on it flawlessly using this setup. I run a lot of program while i am mixing; VDJ, Logic Pro X (for recording mixes), safari, etc... This upgrade greatly helped me because have not had any problems with the software crashing or my computer slowing down. One thing that you have to make sure you get right is the type of ram and ssd that you put into your machine. If you don't put compatible upgrades into your macbook then then will be problems. I would recommend going to the site below to get the various things for your macbook that you need to get it working like you need!

Message me directly if you need any help!

Site for all Mac upgrades: http://www.macsales.com

Inviato Mon 21 Mar 16 @ 11:15 am
gstrib wrote :

What i would recommend you do is upgrade your ram to 16gb and upgrade your hard drive to a 1tb ssd on your current MBP.

Can't upgrade the RAM to 16gb as it's a 2010 MBP and can only upgrade to a max of 8gb (already done).

Was thinking of a 1tb SSD, but, put in a 500gb SSD last week. I have all my music and vids on an external 2tb, they take up around 750gb. So, I thought that it would be better to have 500gb for the 2 operating systems and maybe at a later stage get a 1tb to fit in the DVD drivebay to hold the music and vids.

Used the Mac partition for DJing 2 weddings last weekend as the Windows partition was not ready. Have nearly finished installing a new copy of Windows 7 on the PC partition. At least I will have the option of which to use for DJing and have a backup OS in case one goes bad (which did happen to me a few months ago).

..............just so I can look cool & show that sorry azz apple logo to the crowd.......... LOL

Inviato Tue 22 Mar 16 @ 12:52 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)