Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Serious crash at a GIg. MCX8000 and 8.2

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi Guys, this is the first time in 10 years DJing with virtual DJ that my system let me down.

I was supper happy playing with the MCX8000 and VDJ 8.2, all features working, playing videos, etc. then suddenly I started to notice the audio became choppy... Then i got about a second of total audio cutoff in the song playing. I decided to stop loading videos and threw a couple of songs... Just enough time to get a song cued up on the MCX8000, VDJ crashed and froze completely.

I restarted windows, tried again. Played another 5-6 songs, noticed it choppy again. Before ot crashed again, i restarted the computer again. This time it gave me blue screen and went into recovery. I let it recover to an earlier date, before VDJ8.2 installation. It came back fine, but this time, the mouse would freeze about a minute after windows load. I literally restored it to different dates about 6 times, while playing very few songs I had on the USB stick and spotify on my phone via Line input.
Almost an hour of DJing with my phone, trying to fix the computer, taking requests and controlling the lights, I realized I had to move on. My 3 years old Asus Gaming laptop ( i7, 8Gb Ram, 2.5GB dedicated video, brand new fresh 480SSD with windows 10 Pro ) had died.

Plugged my external hard drive on the old old laptop i use to control DMX, it had VDJ7 on it, and DJ'd with no headphones like this till the end of the party. It was very stressful.... What a bad experience.

At this point I dont know what happened. I thought about a real hardware problem on the Laptop, but It would actually work fine during system restore, for several minutes.", but when windows load , it freezes to death. Today I will format and test it all the way after.

Any similar experiences would be highly appreciated if shared with me!

Thanks

Inviato Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 1:15 pm
Most likely it's a bad RAM chip
Download a utility to check your RAM

Inviato Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 1:23 pm
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
I had a similar experience with my HP laptop a few years ago. It turned out to be the video card. There was a problem that happened with that model because of how the video card was built in.

About a year ago, I had a similar problem on my desktop machine and it was the video card. To be specific, the RAM in the video card.

System RAM can cause that issue and so can CPU.

I too would suggest that you run some scans to test those components.

One other thing that it could be is improper cooling. Laptops are like vacuums. They suck up all the dirt, cat/dog hair, dust, etc. After a while, the cooling get's so bad that the computer starts to glitch. When it overheats, to protect itself, those things can occur. It may need to be cleaned.

Inviato Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 5:59 pm
That was on saturday, it was an outdoor party, about 90 degrees at night outside... I am starting to think it could have been a cooling problem. Today, the laptop is running the same setup, on a hD video playlist all day long, no problems!! I am thrilled!

The Memory test passed, what other softwares should I use to test other things?

Inviato Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 8:24 pm
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
Look up UBCD. Stands for Ultimate Boot CD. It's a collection of Linux apps for things such as this. There are a few different programs for each thing. I think there are like 6 different memory test programs. One of them I used and it tests the video card memory too.

Like you said, I have a feeling that it was a heat issue. You should still check to see if the computer can be cleaned inside. It's good general maintenance. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, your local computer shop probably will for about $70. At least that's what it is around here.

Inviato Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 8:37 pm
Greets! So here's my horror story: Serious crash(es) at gig -- G4V and 8.2

Roughly two weeks ago, decided to try out one of the early access builds of VDJ 8.2.3236; wanted to try new pad mode, experience new audio/video engines and performance. Everything had been working fine on v 8.1.2857 for several months using Windows 10 64-bit. Tested at home for a couple minutes with videos and audio, everything seemed normal. Got to gig Friday night (Father's Day weekend kickoff) and everything that could go wrong, did!

Chapter I: First off, I DJ at skating rinks and skaters HATE to have groove interrupted by silence mid-song! 15 minutes into set, audio drops for about 5 seconds, then everything comes back. VDJ continued playing, but controller halts; no slider/knob/button response, LEDs lit like Christmas tree! NP, I start controlling everything in VDJ with trackpad/keyboard/mouse plus no one's really there yet. 30 minutes go by, audio halts again for about double the time (or maybe it seemed that way), more people skating and crowd starts to notice. At this point I grab my cell phone (which has copy of several most frequently used virtual folders on SD card) put it in airplane mode, plug it directly into the house Mackie board and play directly from that while I bounce the controller and VDJ to refresh everything.

Chapter II: Everything seemed back to normal and now halfway done with (4 hr) set. This time audio buzzes for about 5 seconds then drops again! This time there's silence for ~30 seconds and then music resumes w/controller frozen again. Now I'm like "screw it, something more serious going on." Made another quick playlist on phone to keep music going for at least 10 songs. I decided to uninstall the bld 3236 (keeping the settings and database of course), restart the laptop (which seemed like eternity) and reinstall 8.1.2857 from external drive. Also decided to shut down the videos/graphics I was displaying on the video monitor until I was sure audio would play with stability.

Chapter III: Success! Everything seemed back to normal for the next 1hr 45min. Turned the video monitor back on and got through the most crowded portion of the session until last 15 minutes...5 second audio buzz and sound drop again. Folks were already filing out so I just played a couple close out tracks on phone to (mercifully) finish the night. Fortunately management knew I had a good track record so I still got paid and the music was essentially flowing throughout the session.

Post Set: I was able to recreate the problem at home playing a 60 minute test set with the same failures 15 minutes in and again 10 minutes afterwards. Since VDJ did not technically crash, there was no crash log to refer to. The controller seemed to be experiencing audio issues. Therefore I went into VDJ audio settings and deleted the profile that was using the Gemini controller ASIO drivers. I then setup the G4V to use Windows WASAPI audio drivers for the controller. I also uninstalled Gemini ASIO drivers completely from laptop and rebooted. After that, i was able to play three different sets of 4hrs (audio only, videos only, audio+videos & graphics) and audio drops and controller freezes were no more.

Assumptions: 8.2.3236 + Windows 10 + Gemini ASIO drivers = disaster (for me)

Lessons Learned? (1) Keep backup music on portable device available at moments notice in case of equipment or software failure. (2) Avoid upgrading ANYTHING (OS updates, controller updates) right before gig without extensive testing in similar conditions as venue. (3) Stay on stable VDJ versions unless new version will address a specific problem you're having or is adding a 'must-have' feature.

I personally like being on the 'cutting' edge of technology, but not the 'bleeding' edge...that can get you gig-less! Hope this amused and helps you all in some way. Cheers!

Inviato Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 3:44 am
leneerPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2014
In China,Multiple user feedback similar problems.

Inviato Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 9:20 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)