Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Does anyone know anything about the law when it comes to taking pictures at your events?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Please send me a private message. I have some questions about these things and how US copyright and exclusive rights come into play. Thanks.

Inviato Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 6:40 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Google your own countries "laws on taking pictures at public events" brought up a whole host of much of a muchness about the same thing, I guessing why you are asking this so going to have a stab at a quick reply, personally if I'm taking photo's at an event running a simple polite disclaimer on the screens would help or a simple sign at a photobooth along the lines... Images will be taken throughout the evening of "whoever's event" and will be used for promotional purposes at a possible future date, if you wish not to participate please inform "insert name"

It is a polite disclaimer and whether legally it would hold any water is not for me to say but at least you have it out there, similarly you could but something up on the page/gallery you are promoting whereby if informed you would remove an image as directed.

Inviato Mon 27 Jun 16 @ 7:43 pm
In Australia and the UK there are several ways you can go about this:

IMPLIED RELEASE:
Have a notice plastered around the venue saying something like:

During this event, by ...., we may take video or pictures of you for your own memories and marketing reasons.
If you do not wish for this to happen please see a member of staff, NOTE: a reference picture will need to be taken so we know who to not include in the end products.

TALENT RELEASE FORMS (the correct way to do it)

Download a talent release form from Screen Australia and hand these out to every single person - it's a bi** but that is the correct and cover your A*** way to do it

Implied release is OK in some venues but has zero standing in court, you cannot do an implied release in a domestic environment because you have been invited into their home - you can get them to hand out the posters though, which is different.

Australian Law goes like this:

The filming or photography of individuals is permitted in any public (outdoor) environment unless that person is committing a crime, does not give permission or you are acting suspect (stalking). Thus, highly open to interpretation, which is the idea.

How to get around this without the paper work:

1. Talk to your bloo** client and tell them you'd like to take pictures to put on your site and for them as well, most fully agree to this
2. Get the client to spread the word to the party goers
3. Find out who doesn't want their picture taken, if ANYONE says no then DON'T bring a camera - the shoot is ofrf because it's just not worth it.

Inviato Tue 05 Jul 16 @ 5:27 am
You put a rider in your contract stating that pictures taken will be used for promotional purposes. This will cover you for that event, with that client. However, if a guest ask that you take a picture down from your site, you must do so immediately. They can only sue you if you don't take it down. Most people these days have pictures up for public view, that are not flattering to put it mildly. Most will not mind, but you must honor any request to take them down. My best advise is to ignore what I just said, and talk to a lawyer, that you are paying.

Inviato Sun 10 Jul 16 @ 3:01 am
good news: I did talk to a lawyer about this..
Bad news: i'm from Canada ;-)

they told me that its about the disclaimer. I disclaimer stating pictures or videos will be taken for commercial purposes with a poster on the front entrance to the building is best.. In a contract ? kinda dangerous, the person signing the contract has to be able to testify in court that they got permission (guest agreed with the disclaimer) of anyone who is clearly visible in the pictures or videos.
in practice? no precedents I am aware of. & How much money would you get out of the AVG DJ for this? I'm thinking the money wouldnt even cover the lawyer fees LOL
The right thing to do? just make sure everyone has the option to opt out.. some people (from psychiatrists to gangsters) really REALLY dont like their public picture taken, so cover your butt..

Inviato Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 5:23 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)