Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: BPM / Tempo Output

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

c18ccPRO InfinityMember since 2014
I would like to have a continuous BPM-synced click/metronome based off of the active deck BPM in VirtualDJ.

Here are my ideas:
1) Have a program or piece of hardware running alongside VDJ that reads the BPM output from VDJ?
2) Use a program or piece of hardware that can do live BPM analysis from incoming audio and create a click (on computer mic OR iphone)?
3) Use a function within VDJ to send a click (or similar sound) to a third channel on my soundcard?

This may be an impossible feat, but I know a lot of you folks are absolute pros at this type of problem solving.

Thanks ahead for any help!

Inviato Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 9:24 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
To what end/

Inviato Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 10:12 pm
My lighting rig is controlled via an RCA input. I tried a direct output from the mixer, but the full audio signal throws the lights too randomly (even with eq). I'm currently controlling it with a tap-tempo metronome on my iPhone, which is very reliable, but inconvenient to tap out the tempo as I'm quick mixing (I average about 40 songs/minute).

Inviato Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 11:51 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Sampler could be a workaround , if you dont use that in your mixing.
So just an idea... You can add a "sampler" line in the Audio Setup of VirtualDJ, e.g. use the built-in sound card of your laptop, route a cable from the computer's sound output to your lighting rig, have a Kick sample playing (will always sync to what you playing out live)
Not sure f that will work though, and depends on what gear/sound card/mixer you are using.

Inviato Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 12:45 am
djdad wrote :
Sampler could be a workaround , if you dont use that in your mixing.
So just an idea... You can add a "sampler" line in the Audio Setup of VirtualDJ, e.g. use the built-in sound card of your laptop, route a cable from the computer's sound output to your lighting rig, have a Kick sample playing (will always sync to what you playing out live)
Not sure f that will work though, and depends on what gear/sound card/mixer you are using.

Woooow. We're on to something now! I've got this working pretty good, and even created a couple different patterns that auto beat-sync to the playing deck (half-time, double time, fast strobe, etc). Now, if only I had actually mapped out the beat grids to all of my transition tracks hah! Two questions:

1) Is there a mode in the sampler that will stop a currently playing sample when a different sample is triggered?
2) Are there any concerns to using my CDJs as my main soundcard and running the samples straight out of my MacBook's soundcard to the lights? Been crash-free in VDJ8 since December '15 (knock knock knock), and not looking to throw any wrenches into the system.

Thank you so much for the help!

For anyone interested- we modded the master unit in a Chauvet lighting rig at our club to use a mono female phono input in place of the crappy electret microphone that never works properly. It was a 15 minute job, and now the lights in the whole club run directly off any signal (I've been using the booth out on my mixer, which has been great for the last year, but I'm looking to refine a bit - hence the original post). I've had so many people ask who controls our lighting, and I love telling them it's a $0.10 part and 50 ft. of mono RCA cable.

Inviato Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 4:27 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
1 look at sampler groupings, the default sample set already behaves this way
2 Running two soundcards never promises perfect synchronisity although I think it will be fine for this purpose.

Inviato Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 4:34 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
c18cc wrote :
1) Is there a mode in the sampler that will stop a currently playing sample when a different sample is triggered?

You will need to add those samples to the same Group. When samples are in the same Group, triggering any of them, will automatically stop the other sample of the same Group (if playing)

c18cc wrote :
2) Are there any concerns to using my CDJs as my main soundcard and running the samples straight out of my MacBook's soundcard to the lights? Been crash-free in VDJ8 since December '15 (knock knock knock), and not looking to throw any wrenches into the system.

I dont see a problem here. Just make sure both sound card are on the same SampleRate (44.1 or 48 Khz)
The only known issue is for the CDJs350, 850 when switching from USB mode to CD mode (loses soundcard), but not quite sure if this miss-function occurs on Mac.

Inviato Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 4:51 pm
ClayDJPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Maybe for a separate post, but tell us a bit more about your Chauvet mod. What is the 0.10 cent part and where is it used?
Possibly others would like to look into this mod.

Inviato Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 6:06 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)