Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Stopping Win 10 automatic updates during your gig

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I have seen many friends getting prompts to restart for an update during their gigs. I know it does not take your machine down without your permision but those automatic downloads always had me nervous. So it got me thinking how I stop those automatic downloads from happening during a show.

Updates are set in Win 10 so they are defered if your are on a "Metered Connection" like a cell phone data plan. This is to avoid costing you data / money. But normal Wifi hotspot connections are not auto sensed as "Metered". You have to manually set this!

Good news is you can set any Wifi network easily yourself. So if you use a Wifi hotspot or have a specific network at your residency, you really should set that network as "Metered" even if it is not so that Windows deferes downloads at your show. If you dig a bit, there are even registry hacks for Ethernet connctions. But this tutorial is handy and should be listed in any Win 10 tweaks for live performance.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/amp/

Good luck out there! By no means am I suggesting to use this to stop your Win 10 updates all together. Just stop them at you shows. There is no need for it and it will give you one less thing to worry about.

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 1:14 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I stopped the update service, I'd love to see how to stop all telemetry to m$

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 1:43 pm
Use DWS lite. Blocks all services and ports that send data back to Slurp. Supports 7,8 & 10

I have it on all my machines and no problems whatsoever.

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 1:55 pm

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 2:54 pm
Why can't you use the update manager, to tell it when and how you want updates to be handled?

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 7:05 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Update service can chew up cpu time and I have had windows just ignore those settings.
My cpu is driven by hamsters in wheels so, killing the service entirely is best for me. and the hamsters

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 9:09 pm
Great tip - thanks!

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 10:13 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I get gigs at all hours. Better to tell it the network as I only connect to 1 network at shows. Then no need to worry. Not trying to disable everything Windows. I respect the decision to do so but my computer is a little beefy. No issues here.

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 16 @ 10:46 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)