Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: trying to learn to mix smoothly

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

ss2274Home userMember since 2015
I mix Trance and Deep House. I did a great mix once, but I have tried to mix after that and i just can't make that perfect mix where you can't even tell when one tracks is another and you can't tell when it changed. I did this once. I have heard people it's bout track selection which brings millions of possibilities. What goes together other than tracks in he same key....what are you looking for when deciding if 2 tracks go together....I have mixed drums in the past, but if you are going to mix say synth or a bassline, im just trying to learn to mix this stuff. I have also use the slam technique.....as far as mixing synths how do you mix this smoothly?

Inviato Fri 28 Oct 16 @ 6:04 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Key, rhythm, careful eq'ing and gradual volume adjustment, get phrasing spot on.
practice practice practice
some dj's don't use the crossfader, they leave the xfader in the centre and use the upfaders

Inviato Fri 28 Oct 16 @ 6:23 am
ss2274Home userMember since 2015
Yea I do not use the crossafder either......i have been experimenting with a high pass filter oo

Inviato Fri 28 Oct 16 @ 6:56 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Indeed, usually the method for single track mixing/mastering is to have a frequency range devoted to one instrument [started back with mo-town] if you have too many instruments in a frequency range it sounds messy.
Sometimes [but pretty rarely] a two track mix will work without eq'ing but this is down to key and equally as important rhythm.
Use loops [32 or 64] of percussion intros of tracks to start your mix earlier and it will sound like a smother transition

Inviato Fri 28 Oct 16 @ 7:18 am
If there is a drum break, which there almost always is on a House track, it never fails to combine opening lead-in beat track with mid-section drum break. The smooth part happens when you learn to synch your beats, and fade in and out smoothly. DJ Mr D

Inviato Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 3:29 am
I'm sure I've read the exact same OP on a different forum.

Inviato Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 8:49 am
Yep! djforums.com, digitaldjtips.com....

Talking of Google, there are plenty of articles out there on how to mix, how to improve your mixing and so on. Not to mention YouTube videos. Oops, I mentioned them.

Inviato Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 10:36 am
I Created This Combination for my easy mixing and have been using it for a while.. I decided to share here to make things a little easy for everyone too.
::::::::

NOTE MORE IMPORTNAT: Below combination is Deck related... Deck 1 code on work from left to right deck mixing and Deck 2 on right to left deck mixing

HOW IT WORKS AS EASY MIX AND WITH PERFECT BEAT MATCHING ON BOTH DECK

If you have a song already playing on Deck 1(Left Deck), Load your next track on Deck 2 (Right). The PFL will be on the deck not playing or just loaded.. just by pressing the LETTER or NUMBER you assigned the below Deck1 combination, will automatically Synchronize Beat On Both Decks, Loopout song playing on Deck 1, Kill Eq_low and Eq_Mid set at 47% on Deck 1, Deck 2 starts playing automatically and synchronizinly on beat while auto crossfading to Deck 2 Auto crossfade speed between is set at 2700ms..Killing the eq low and eq mid balances the mixing or give you a smother cross fading.. Same applies to both deck.

MAPPER TO MIX FROM LEFT TO RIGHT DECK WHEN A SONG IS ALREADY LOADED :
Use This Code when Mix From Deck 1 (Left Deck ) to Deck 2 (Right Deck) After Having loaded your desired next track to deck 2

(1)
DECK 1 (LEFT DECK) TO MIX THROUGH DECK 2 MAPPER KEYWORD:

deck 1 effect "LoopOut" select & deck 1 eq_kill_low & set_deck1 eq_low 50% & auto_crossfade 6000ms & deck 1 effect active & deck 1 eq_mid 47% & beatlock & play_sync_onbeat

(2)
DECK 2 (RIGHT DECK) TO MIX THROUGH DECK 1 MAPPER KEYWORD:

deck 2 effect "LoopOut" select & deck 2 eq_kill_low & set_deck2 eq_low 50% & auto_crossfade 6000ms & deck 2 effect active & deck 2 eq_mid 47% & beatlock & play_sync_onbeat

PLEASE SET MAPPERS ON DIFFERENT LETTERS OR NUMBER AND EACH LETTER OR NUMBER WILL ACTIVATE EITHER LEFT TO RIGHT DECK MIXING OR RIGHT TO LEFT MIXING

TRY AND PLEASE GIVE YOUR FEEDBACK OR IF YOU NEED ME TO ADD ANY MORE EFFECT OR FUNCTIONS, PLEASE LET ME A MESSAGE.

Inviato Sun 01 Jan 17 @ 9:50 pm
Please do not SHOUT (by using all capitals) when posting.

Also please do not post the same message more than once. You've posted this a few times now.

Inviato Sun 01 Jan 17 @ 11:12 pm
@ groovindj

Thanks for correcting me about the capitals, but i intended no harm..

I´m used to that whenever i do not have my glasses on... But big up for the correction but the mapper he need is not exact same of my post.. my included effects (lootouts) Eq Settings, etc..

Are we not here to help one another anymore?... What if he never find my post about the solution to his problem or need & no possible solution given to him yet?.. is better to post the link to my post or just close the page after reading the problem.. No one knows it better...

Thanks for pointing it out clear about capitalization of my posts...

Inviato Wed 04 Jan 17 @ 8:04 am
Learn how to recognize song structure...for instance, Shut Up And Dance - Walk The Moon (not a very hip example I know but bear with me):
I typically use a version that has an 8 bar intro and outro (find more of those kinds of tracks if you can as opposed to radio or album versions).

The key is D-flat (for guitar players, it's standard tuning down a half step) and the tempo 128bpm.

Song starts with a four on the floor kick drum and a very Edge style guitar hook (extended version I use has an 8 bar intro with a kick drum..album version just has the guitar part for two bars and straight into the song)
Intro Chorus (Oh don't you dare look back...) Bass comes in over the guitar and kick drum (4 bars)
Intro Chorus Part 2 (This woman is my destiny she says...) Tom toms come in to build up (4 bars)

4 bar instrumental break
1st Verse (We were victims of the night...) (8 bars)
1st Bridge (She took my arm, I don't know how it happened...) (4 bars)
1st Chorus...Power chords and straight ahead dance rock (8 bars)

(repeat a second time) (24 bars)

Instrumental break (synth/guitar solo) (8 bars)
2nd bridge (Deep in her eyes I could see the future...) (8 bars)

Instrumental break (Edge-style guitar hook from beginning) (4 bars)
Repeat Intro Chorus (8 bars with last bar vocals only)
Repeat Main Chorus (8 bars)

Outro (8 bars)

Extended outro with Edge-style guitar (Extended version...album/radio version ends abruptly)

So if you can think of a song like that and recognize when the changes happen, and think like a musician, you'll find DJing to be easy. Your transitions will be a lot smoother and you'll also know when to drop in your next song, and it will also influence your song choices.

Inviato Sun 08 Jan 17 @ 4:56 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)