Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Changing computer - little advise please. - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

I am getting my new laptop today as my current laptop cant handle what i want to throw at it. Long story short. I backed up the VDJ folder in my documents last night and all my music to an external hard drive. On the new laptop the music will not be in the same drive letter. The new laptop has a C drive which is just for the OS so will be on the D drive.

After doing some research, I think I have two options.

Option 1 - on old laptop, within VDJ, move all music from C drive to external hard drive, connect to new laptop and then move it all again to new drive. Problem with this option is that i want to keep everything on old laptop as a backup laptop.

Option 2 - Use file and replace on the main database file on new laptop. This looks the best option, though I have a couple of questions. Lets say a current location is c/users/jennifer/music/flacfiles/........ can i just tell it to find "c/users/jennifer/" and replace with "d/users/andy/" or do i have to tell it the whole file path. So, can it just replace the start of the file path? 2nd question is, do the xml files in the other folders, like the playlist folder, samples folder etc need anything doing with them?

Any help will be much appreciated. I have spent a lot of hours tagging, rating, setting up hot cues etc and I dont want to screw up the xml.

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 8:32 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Yes, you can use an xml editor and do a search & replace like that.

The easier way would have been to copy the files from your computer to the external hard drive from within virtualdj though.
That way virtualdj would have copied the correct database entries on the external hard drive directly.

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 9:15 am
Hi Adion, thank you for the reply. I havent done anything yet. Will be doing it tonight.

If i copy the files to the hard drive though. At that point i will have each track in two locations on my computer. Which file will the xml database point to?

Are you saying that if i copy all my files to the external hard drive. Then drag and drop the VDJ folder to the new computer that VDJ will now see all those files and i can then move them to the hard drive of the new computer? would this work without losing anything?

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 9:29 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
VDJ creates a database on each drive.
So there would be one entry on your computer's c drive (documents\virtualdj\database.xml) pointing to the one on the c drive, and one entry in the external drive's database (d:\virtualdj\database.xml) pointing to the copy on the external drive.

When you connect the external drive to the other computer, vdj will read the database on that drive to get info for the files on that drive.

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 10:43 am
Ah, right, that makes sense. Didn't realise that. Thank you very much Adion.

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 10:46 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Andy7689 wrote :

drag and drop the VDJ folder to the new computer

I have luck with copy and paste instead of "drag and drop" using VDJ browser.

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 12:44 pm
Yeah, although from what Adion is saying, I think i need to copy the files from within VDJ to external drive and that will create its own database file, which should then operate straight off the new laptop. Ill find out tonight, just had confirmation its been delivered and left with a neighbour so could be an exciting evening or a frustrating one.

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 1:14 pm
Just wanted to say Thank you guys. All set up and working like a dream, not lost anything apart from having to change a few settings back to how i like them. I finally have the computing power to run pretty much zero latency. Now if only i could figure out how to use this stuff :)

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 8:57 pm
What computer did you get? Post the specs so we can all salivate and be jealous! :-)

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 10:07 pm
haha, well groovin, after you told me my audio interface was crap :) i bought a focusrite 2i4 super low latency. But the laptop couldn't handle it at all. So I bought a ASUS ROG Strix Model GL702VM-GC010T 17.3 (Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz turbo to 3.5GHz, FHD 1920 x 1080 Screen, NVIDIA Pascal GTX1060 (6 GB), 24 GB ram at 2666 speed, 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD+ 128 GB SSD.

Deleted everything off it this evening, running VDJ only though i dont think it would matter with those specs. To think, i only bought a mixtrack 3 to have a play because I already had a PA system so thought i could try my hand at Djing. Becoming quite expensive :)

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 11:12 pm
great choice on the lappy (I have g73 & g53).

Inviato Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 1:50 am
Thanks, yeah its a hell of a machine. I must have looked at 500 laptops over the last couple of weeks, comparing them, reading reviews etc. In the end, i just thought well if I am going to get one, then get a really good one. Should last me at least five years and probably more.

Inviato Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 7:05 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Great choice !
Ive had my G55 about 4 years and it still rocks.

Inviato Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 7:22 pm
17.3 ouch that's a monster! I bought one with a similar size screen some years ago now, and rarely use it because it's so big and heavy. It mainly sits in its bag unused.

Inviato Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 9:54 pm
Yeah it is a big screen, but i like that. There is a lot of information on the screen and my eyes are not getting any younger. As i get better though i guess i will be looking at the screen less. Its quite thin and light though as a unit.

Inviato Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 10:05 pm
NuzzletPRO InfinityMember since 2015
I don't know if this will much extra help but:

VirtualDJ stores everything under C:/Users/"User"/Documents/VirtualDJ File Path will vary based on system configuration, and OS.

I use Microsoft Onedrive, and I have it set to sync the contents of the VirtualDJ data folder. On my laptop (MS Surface pro 4), I also have it syncing the same way, so the folders remain identical on both devices, plus a backup in the cloud in case of data loss, or if I need to add a new

You can copy the VirtualDJ folder from one machine to another with a thumbdrive, or keep it on a thumbdrive entirely. The file path for it is specified in VirtualDJ's config.

The VirtualDJ folder contains:
-Song Data
-CU Cached Music
-Skins, Controler Mappings and, Devices
-Skin Settings
-Config
-And basically everything else that relates to data storage.

The only parts of VirtualDJ that aren't in the folder are:
-Music in other places
-Application Installation
-Images somtimes

Hope I helped.

Inviato Thu 24 Nov 16 @ 2:16 am
Thanks Nuzlett. I am currently just backing everything up to an external hardrive once a week, though i think there is a windows tool which will sync two folders. I plan on getting a second SSD drive, as there is a spare slot for one and then syncing to that. Might look at onedrive though and set that up.

Inviato Thu 24 Nov 16 @ 7:24 am
Hi, I have changed my laptop too and what I've read makes me assume that - to mantain hot cues and almost any other setting - I just have to copy the Virtual DJ folder from the old to the new PC.
If that's not correct, what is the right procedure?
Thanks
Giuseppe

Inviato Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 12:34 pm
From within VDJ, move or copy all your tracks to the external hard drive. Then on new computer, plug in hard drive and then move/copy to the internal drive of the computer. Then just copy/move the VDJ folder in "my documents" to the new computer. All worked great for me.

Inviato Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 1:04 pm
Thanks Andy. I presume I must do both copies (from old PC to HD and from HD to new PC) from within VDJ, right?

Inviato Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 1:10 pm
83%