Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Loudspeakers systems

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Multi stage music festivals in the UK are using conventional pa systems. I've have not seen any active speakers..and also class D amps may still be rare.
The more professional people don't seem to use active??????

Inviato Sat 27 May 17 @ 6:33 am
Nonsense - plenty of large PA rigs use powered (or active) cabs, and have done for years.

Inviato Sat 27 May 17 @ 7:10 am
Never mind nonsense ..all the stages at a major multi stage festival were using passive speakers, I talked to the engineers. I could also name the dominant brand but I'm not offering free advertising.

The stages are designated 1, 2, 3, 4, 5..ect. with respect to volume.
Stage 1 is where the supergroups are put.
I was in between stages 3 and 5 although I doubt I was 4.
I would not buy active speakers for a multitude of reasons.

I would add I did not use my Class D Behringer, it was put to one side as a spare. It's great for mobile work..but I wanted more so opted for heavy conventional amps.

Inviato Sat 27 May 17 @ 11:23 pm
The problem with active speakers is that they use class D amps..so you should note today I wanted the response of a traditional amp and on this occasion was not looking for lightweight mobility.

Inviato Sat 27 May 17 @ 11:33 pm
..and just to piss me off I encountered a new speaker standard.
So just to confuse us "stupid" DJ's we have speaker RMS, Program, Peak and my new one AES power.
It's all about selling us rubbish.

Inviato Sat 27 May 17 @ 11:45 pm
Still making multiple posts I see, despite being asked/told not to...

So because the one festival you attended was using passive, that (in your mind) means "festivals" (plural) are not using active rigs, and therefore no professionals are? Oh dear.

A huge number of mobile DJs use active cabs now "for a multitude of reasons". So do the big boys doing stadium PA etc.

How many times have you attended the PLASA show in the last, say, 15 years?

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 7:47 am
Who asked you to quote rules on my thread?

It's clear that the manufactures are attempting to sell rubbish to young dj's and people like you foster the deception.
We had an example of a young dj just a week or two ago who had been convinced he had top quality equipment whereas in reality he had budget active speakers.

You're like a salesman for the latest dj junk which costs the young a lot of money.
Yes.. I'm sure your always on hand to help separate the young from their money.

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 8:45 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 8:49 am
bigron1 wrote :
people like you foster the deception

What? I'm not trying to deceive anyone. Quite the opposite in fact. I don't like seeing misinformation posted in forums, and strive to correct it if possible.

...and I'm definitely not encouraging anyone to buy rubbish. Again, the opposite is true.

I've used both passive and active speaker systems myself, and my kit is certainly not budget end.

No shower curtains or Peavey for me.

Oh and you didn't answer my question about the PLASA show.

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 9:09 am
I know that Adion..but you know the point I'm making is valid.

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 9:11 am
@groovin

I've never seen you suggest an inexpensive solution when you had the chance to promote an expensive item.

No shower curtains or Peavey for me.

You're silly.
I don't use a shower curtain.
Peavey make some excellent, and some budget equipment. Open your mind.

As for going on about some show..pathetic.

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 9:34 am
bigron1 wrote :
I've never seen you suggest an inexpensive solution when you had the chance to promote an expensive item

OK so how am I "attempting to sell rubbish" or fostering deception?

bigron1 wrote :
I don't use a shower curtain

No? Do you not remember the infamous thread where you proudly stated that you'd found a way to avoid paying for a proper projection screen?

bigron1 wrote :
As for going on about some show..pathetic

It's not just "some show" (calling it that makes me think you've not heard of it). It's a well known long running yearly professional trade show for the light and sound industry. If you'd been, you'd have seen how PA systems have progressed towards active/powered cabs.

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 10:18 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I've seen very few big rigs (10Kw +) using actives. I think it's down to space and control, I could seen it being annoying to visit every cab to get the sound balance right.

Actives = plug & pray - passives = rig engineering.
Both have their merits. I have a mate who went for an all active rig (8kw), his goal was simpler setup and tear down. He achieved his goal but he freely admits it has lost flexibility.

Personally I like messing with my rig. I don't particularly care how other folk do their thing, I'm interested if they have methods that I haven't thought about, but there's a lot of navel gazing in the sound sphere.

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 11:10 am
locodog wrote :
visit every cab to get the sound balance right

Not necessary. Just plug 'em in and turn 'em up. The controlling (If required) can be done from the desk area.

Not that much different from a passive rig really. They don't go and fiddle with the gains on each amp to balance the system. They use suitably rated amps for the cabs, turn them up and balance from the desk or rack.

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 2:40 pm
Lol

If there is a knob someone can turn then it will be turned.
Put another way..if it can go wrong then it will.

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 3:05 pm
kalispera 8elw to klidi sas parakalo

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 3:22 pm
I have used passive speakers for a long time. Just recently I got two 18" active subs which is convenient for me to bring to small jobs.
Otherwise my PA rack with a few fP6400's will join.

Inviato Sun 28 May 17 @ 3:43 pm
Big rigs are normally passive.

If you have 20 speakers you don't need 20 amps

There are lots of additional parameters to consider, other than just power output, the speaker Q value along with the damping factor of the amp for instance.

I have a behringer class d and its great, sounds good drives my rig well , but i have owned better, and the whole speaker / amp setup is always going to be a compromise, your never going to have the ideal rig for every event. That's why the industry have sound engineers, they don't simply go to a gig and plug things in!

I am not going knock active or passive, both have their uses.

For me, one of the best setups from a sound quality point of view, was a pair of 15/10 with compression horns, i built myself, the design was carefully considered, i do wish i still owned them .

But the speakers were nothing without being driven well, the amp I used was analogue , heavy , bulky , fan cooled , ran quite hot, and expensive........

But you could drive it into a short circuit and it would not matter, it had a huge damping factor, which meant the bass was sublimely tight, again i do miss it.

In a large rig the advantages of passive are many, and , one amp will be driving several speakers, the amps can be monitored and if one fails it can be swapped out, your not running low level audio all over the place, ect

Inviato Mon 29 May 17 @ 6:17 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)