Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Serato Sample - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

So what do you guys think? Could be illy...

Inviato Tue 11 Jul 17 @ 12:40 am
It looks like they have yet again turned to VDJ8 for inspiration :)
A bit like a mix between the VDJ sample editor and POI editor
- but with a new kind of workflow and as a stand alone product

Inviato Tue 11 Jul 17 @ 10:16 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Nothing new here, Reason's Dr Rex has done exactly this for a decade, maybe longer.

Inviato Tue 11 Jul 17 @ 3:12 pm
Yup.......

Inviato Tue 11 Jul 17 @ 4:52 pm
klausmogensen wrote :

I have been saying that, They even go through the wish thread and take ideas Atomix wont and their users love it.

DJs today need producer like features today, Once DJing went digital it opened an ability floodgate, The capabilities are limitless. Its all about the mix. All features should be to maximize the mix. Time to tech-up....

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 4:53 am
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
klausmogensen wrote :

I have been saying that, They even go through the wish thread and take ideas Atomix wont and their users love it.

But Serato are so far behind. It's crazy

Unless they open up everything, and implement a scripting language like VDJ script, they will never be able to match the capabilities of VDJ
An open platform and an "internal reprogramming language" is key
I don't think any of the 20+ videos I have made on cool VDJ features are possible to do in Serato
In VDJ there really are no limits on what you can do

On top of that the Serato devs are slow
When they release a beta it's big news, even if there is almost nothing new in it
Even if you compare it to the VDJ Early Access releases, VDJ probably releases new features 10 times as often as Serato

The same goes with the bug fixing.
If it's a general clear-cut bug, it gets fixed almost instantly in VDJ, you upgrade (automatically if you want) and the bug is gone
On Serato bug fixing takes months - sometimes years

This of course means that the stability of VDJ is much better than it is on Serato - bug fixing speed and stability goes hand in hand

Personally I don't understand how any pro DJ can live with the way Serato handles things
But to each their own, I guess

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 7:02 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I guess VDJ in a technical view of things VDJ is ahead of the competitors.
But it lacks one thing and that is curcial nowadays - marketing.

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 7:47 am
Some say marketing, others say hype...

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 4:17 pm
PachN wrote :

I know about it, and to be honest that's all that matters to me. Marketing has absolutely no effect on my next mix, so I leave that to the guys in marketing. In this day and age, if you are a DJ and don't know about Virtual DJ, then you are in a place that doesn't have internet. Those of us that use this software, are actually marketing it to everyone that looks at our systems. I know some in the past were insecure and used skins that looked like other software, (I never understood that), but to each his own. On the other hand, most of us are very proud users, and don't hesitate to applaud it's features. The other software's have great features also, but most of them have been late to implement the features that matter to me. This sample thing will be good for their users. Maybe it will be a free update, because we know they love to give away free updates.

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 6:14 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
klausmogensen wrote :

But Serato are so far behind. It's crazy

Unless they open up everything, and implement a scripting language like VDJ script, they will never be able to match the capabilities of VDJ
An open platform and an "internal reprogramming language" is key
I don't think any of the 20+ videos I have made on cool VDJ features are possible to do in Serato
In VDJ there really are no limits on what you can do

On top of that the Serato devs are slow
When they release a beta it's big news, even if there is almost nothing new in it
Even if you compare it to the VDJ Early Access releases, VDJ probably releases new features 10 times as often as Serato

The same goes with the bug fixing.
If it's a general clear-cut bug, it gets fixed almost instantly in VDJ, you upgrade (automatically if you want) and the bug is gone
On Serato bug fixing takes months - sometimes years

This of course means that the stability of VDJ is much better than it is on Serato - bug fixing speed and stability goes hand in hand

Personally I don't understand how any pro DJ can live with the way Serato handles things
But to each their own, I guess

Because the vast majority of DJs cant program, they just want it to work. If I could program I would never ask for new features, I would just program it myself. Most Djs just want the features that elevate the mix, and dont have to worry about programming.

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 6:19 pm
You can't race a F1 car (in fact you can't race ANY PRO race car) without knowing basic car engineering.
Same goes for DJ-ing these days... If you want to keep up, you need to learn basic "programming" / "scripting" / "remapping"
The days that a DJ was just playing one song behind the other are way beyond us.
All programs I'm aware off (VirtualDj, Serato, Traktor and Rekordbox Dj) as a minimum allow you to remap your controller with one method or another.
Therefore, some basic "programming/scripting" knowledge is part of the game now if you want to take it to the next step...

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 6:59 pm
EDIT: I changed my mind. No need for me to reply. Nothing good can come from it

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 7:02 pm
One more time, djing is programming - the right thing at the right time.
And one more time for this one too, djing you learn beatmixing then song structure, then key progression, then hw which is electronics & rig engineering, dmx and maybe video timelining. event management.

At what point do you say to yourself 'i want to stop learning' ?

If you're using a computer as a tool, learn your tool to stay ahead, or you know wait for the programming to spoon feed it to you and be bang in the middle of the curve

Time doesn't stand still.

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 7:32 pm
Amen to that :-)

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 7:36 pm
PachN wrote :

Yes... VDJ do have a problem with marketing but what about us, the users. We barely promote VDJ of its uses... I, myself have lack. If we promoting showing VDJ in use we would have a better chance of stopping that nonsense criticism of VDJ. Now I've heard that VDJ is only best for mobile events while Serato is better for clubs... BS!!! We as users need to displaying our talent while using of VDJ. So create a form and strategize a plan...

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 7:38 pm
Anddddddddd, we're off. This thread should stay focused on the topic of Serato Sample.

Inviato Wed 12 Jul 17 @ 7:49 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
Anddddddddd, we're off. This thread should stay focused on the topic of Serato Sample.

I've notice a lot of your comments and most are NEVER encouragement... I'm not saying to have baby your statement and I do agree I went off topic but I also stated to lets start a form about that promoting VDJ better... Nevertheless you are title to your option.

Inviato Fri 14 Jul 17 @ 12:34 pm
Thank you.

Inviato Fri 14 Jul 17 @ 7:38 pm
You guys should stop promoting VDJ Script for someone that has little knowledge about such things. Here's why.

1) VDJ Script doesn't even have a syntax check tool as far as I know.

2) VDJ Script has no way of tracing thru when something is not working

3) The language syntax sucks

You should be complaining to Atomix to fix it and then maybe promote. What no tools for scripting and how long has it been out?

Simple script is ok but still boggles some people.

So you write some script and say it does not run... No info is provided about why. So this is what people should learn as a next step? Your kidding right? When is Atomix going finish the first step and then provide something with sanity? You want things to get better right?

PS: don't blame the messenger :)

Inviato Sat 15 Jul 17 @ 3:57 pm
Hi, proud vdj user here, but i have to say something in favor of serato sample, because it's not a dj product, but more a production tool aimed at beat makers and remixers.
I bought one license for half the price during the beta test period and what i liked about that kind of product is the pitch shifting and timestretch quality and the very fast workflow when i need to extract something from a full song, it loads fast, it has different detection modes, it also allows to focus in a smooth and clean way on every part of the song and insert the cue points manually and yes, it looks very similar to vdj sample editors, but serato sample allows you to open a full song and have the cue points mapped on your keyboard instantly, then you can pitch shift/timestretch each of the cues independently plus some other creative tools, but it's not a tool aimed at live performance.
Doing the same with vdj, is a bit elaborated at the moment, especially creating sample banks from 1 song, but they are 2 different products and vdj does very well all the rest.
About the marketing conversation, after talking with many serato users, what it bothers them is how virtual dj is introduced on this page:

https://it.virtualdj.com/products/virtualdj/why.html

and on a very respected youtube channel dj tlm have something to say:

https://youtu.be/y-z3_UzEwyc?t=104

So VDJ is a little bit disliked in certain environments and most of the times who dislikes it never tried it.

Inviato Fri 11 Aug 17 @ 6:42 pm
87%