Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Can the program istantly change track when I use a hot cue?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

KeramiHome userMember since 2017
I'd like that when I use a hot cue from track A, track B will stop, and viceversa.

Inviato Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 10:55 am
That doesn't happen automatically however you can use a script something like this:

deck 1 pause & deck 1 goto_cue 1 & deck 2 play

Inviato Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 10:57 am
KeramiHome userMember since 2017
That's weird, I tought that DJ would use something like this as a basic thing...

Inviato Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 1:34 pm
Well he could do it with a POI.

Not sure how well it'd sound but I'm pretty sure it could be done.

Inviato Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 1:35 pm
Where is the problem to hit play on 2nd deck and cut this song in using the crossfader.
These are basics things for DJs imo...

Inviato Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 2:31 pm
Hot cues are for playing a track from a certain place, not stopping another track.

Even on top end equipment (e.g. CDJ-2000) hot cues go to a location and play from there. They don't affect the other deck/track.

Stopping the other track is the DJs job. :-)

Inviato Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 2:33 pm
Kerami wrote :
That's weird, I tought that DJ would use something like this as a basic thing...

No, that's not how hot cues work

You are pretty much describing a drop/cut mix, and you normally get that from doing a fast crossfade and press play on the new track
On some setups you can also use something like fader start

So VDJ can do this in different ways, but it's not really a normal thing to do for a DJ, and normally has nothing to do with hot cues

Inviato Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 4:06 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
deck 1 hotcue X & deck 2 stop & crossfader 0%
Or
deck 2 hotcue X & deck 1 stop & crossfader 100%

Inviato Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 6:55 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I understand that Kerami is asking about this.

It has been around for a long time with Pio and RB and I have used it with my cdj2000 for a very long time.
And turntablists surely been using it between songs in their sets.

The name Hotcue is the same in RB, and I would like to call it just Cue in Vdj (not Hotcue like it is in Poi editor).

Example when jumping between songs with "HotCue": https://vimeo.com/226696587

Inviato Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 7:47 am
freppa wrote :
I understand that Kerami is asking about this.

It has been around for a long time with Pio and RB and I have used it with my cdj2000 for a very long time.
And turntablists surely been using it between songs in their sets.

The name Hotcue is the same in RB, and I would like to call it just Cue in Vdj (not Hotcue like it is in Poi editor).

Example when jumping between songs with "HotCue": https://vimeo.com/226696587

Hot cue means that the track starts from the cue point when pressed.
Cue means that the track stop when pressed
So if you want the track (or any other track) to play when pressing the button, hot cue is the correct name

The feature you are showing in the video should be called something like skip track, I guess.

As earlier explained can do the same as RB (and so incredibly much more) in VDJ if you want to, by adding scripts like the one shown above

Inviato Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 8:45 am
Thank you for the explanation Klaus.

The best thing with RBs hotcue list is that you can add what track you want and jump between them.
I would like to know if that could be done with Vdj or if it is just the loaded songs on the decks?

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 6:09 am
Some history, before the answer:

The term "Hot Cue" was actually used quite a lot time before Pioneer used it on a CDJ.
The term "Hot Cue" was adopted first by PC software, and the hotcues were stored on a "per track" basis.
Some CD players floating around at that time (early 2000's) such as a few Denon's named the same feature as "Hot Start" and it usually involved using a second "loop in" point
Near the mid 2000's the terms "stored cue-points" and "hot cues" were really combined in the software world.
At about the same time, Pioneer introduced CDJ-1000.
It had the ability to store up to 3 "cue-points" on a SD-card on a PER DISC basis (that was because the S/N of the optical disc was used as an ID to store the cue-points)

From that point onwards, for many years there were 2 different ways to use "stored cue points / hot cues"
Software was always using "per track" logic since computers offered "unlimited storage space" and since there was no "fixed" playlist facility (the user could modify the playlist at any time whereas an Audio CD, once burned can't be changed)
Hardware used "per disc" logic, mainly because of limited storage to store information for many discs.

The hardware approach made a new culture on DJ's: They used the "hot cues" (for many years Pioneer called them Memory Points) to jump live between different tracks on the same disc. It was not their intended usage, but they become quite popular for that usage as well.

When Pioneer introduced USB sticks and Rekordbox (as a preparation program) on it's players it expanded the "memory" system a little bit, but it kept the separation between "memory points" and "hot cues"

Today: On software solution, hot cues still apply "per track". Even on Rekordbox Dj (the live Dj software, not the preparation mode)
On hardware: Everyone else but Pioneer uses a "per track" basis as well
Pioneer still keeps two different systems. The "memory" system and the "hot cue" system

To answer your question:
Natively, a hot cue can't jump on another track.
You can program some buttons on your keyboard / GUI / Controller to load specific tracks and jump to specific hot cues providing a functionality similar to what hardware units were doing on the "per disc" case, but the solution is not elegant enough.
So, technically it can be done, but it's not advised. It's like trying to put a nail in the wall by hitting it with a screwdriver... It can be done, but not wise and elegant...

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 7:05 am
Nice writeup!

I was thinking: what about a padpage where pad 1 and 2 triggers hot cue 1 and 2 on deck 1, pad 3 and 4 triggers hot cue 1 and 2 on deck 2 and so on for all 4 decks. On top of that all pads ensure that the deck volumes are turned up on the correct deck, and down on all other decks, and that the crossfader is at 50%
That will give you a similar kind of feel but only for the currently loaded 4 track (so no additional loading involved)

That whould be fairy simple to make, wouldn't it?

On top of that maybe add script to stop the other 3 decks if running, and maybe a sync option if relevant

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 8:04 am
I have tried, an manage to get this to work now.

For example from deck 2 to deck 1: deck 1 hotcue 21 & deck 2 stop & crossfader -100%

I use hotcues 20 and above for this functions and will give them another color to easily see it on the players.

The thing is that this cue function will work even if Im not having a cue that is above 20 in the other loaded tracks.

Would like some help with the script to make it unusable if there is no cue above 20 on other tracks?

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 8:47 am
As I said, you can program buttons to do "virtually anything"
But it's not an elegant/clean solution...
Sure you can divide the 8 pads to 4 decks (2 hotcues per deck) or to 2 decks (4 hotcues per deck) but still, jumping between different songs requires the songs to be loaded somehow on a deck. (pre-loaded or real time)
One other solution would be to create and save a "deck set", but this option still limits you on ONE deck set...

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 8:50 am
freppa wrote :
I have tried, an manage to get this to work now.

For example from deck 2 to deck 1: deck 1 hotcue 21 & deck 2 stop & crossfader -100%

I use hotcues 20 and above for this functions and will give them another color to easily see it on the players.

The thing is that this cue function will work even if Im not having a cue that is above 20 in the other loaded tracks.

Would like some help with the script to make it unusable if there is no cue above 20 on other tracks?

From deck 1 to deck 2:
deck 2 hot_cue 20 ? deck 2 hot_cue 20 & crossfader 100% & deck 1 stop

From deck 2 to deck 1:
deck 1 hot_cue 20 ? deck 1 hot_cue 20 & crossfader 0% & deck 2 stop

Of course you can change the cue numbers, but:
This script doesn't check if there's a hotcue greater than 20. It checks only if there's hotcue 20
Therefore if a track has hotcues 21,22 and 24 programmed, but not hotcue 20, the script WON'T execute

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 8:55 am
A bit more elegant a way would have a action poi on the start of your track to load all your other tracks to invisible decks then they're loaded into memory and can instantly be cloned on to a visible deck, there are many ways to skin this cat.

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 8:57 am
I know that you love invisible decks, but it's NOT a good idea to advise NON POWER users to use them...
Too many things can go wrong, and users can be left wondering what's happening... ;)

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 9:03 am
I would like to learn more about it though, locodog.

we are all newbies at some time ;-)

what about a tutorial video?

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 9:09 am
It doesn't need a video tutorial, it's really simple, I'll send you a pm with some questions later in the day.

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 12:24 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)