Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How do I prevent VDJ8.2 from analyzing when track is loaded ?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I've just finished (after 2 months, every evening till late at night) analyzing 9000+ tracks (coming from Traktor, so had to edit (cue points, loops, beatgrid) all my tracks again)). I'm now on VDJ 8.2 build 3798 (last update from several days ago).
Now I notice when I load a track in a player, VDJ seems to automatic analyze (set/adjust beatgrid) the track again (all tough it was already analyzed, cue points set, BPM grid set (with red marker set in BPM editor)). Hereby, in some cases, my settings are being moved and 'redone' by VDJ.
I'm not amused ... !
Is there a way to prevent VDJ from automatic analyzing (redoing beat grid), so all my settings (cue points, firts beat marker (Beat Editor), saved loops) stay as I put them ?
I don't want 2 months of work wasted by VDJ because 'the beat analyzer has been updated' ...
And yes, I have 'ExperimentalBeatAnanlyzer' set to NO in the Options.

Inviato Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 8:55 pm
You can't avoid it.

VDJ was updated with a revised analyzer and they decided to force a rescan of each track when played or loaded in the Automix panel. Not quite sure why as there have been a lot of people asking about this. Personally I think the rescan should have been an option but hey ho.

Apparently if you have manual beatgrid settings they do not get changed when the tracks are reanalyzed.

Inviato Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 8:59 pm
Whats the point in (re)analyzing already analyzed tracks on load ????
I think it's pretty simple to add an option in the Options menu by the programmers to 'Re-Analyze tracks on load YES / NO'
This track (picture) was manually beat grid and still VDJ moved (re-analyzed) the First Beat Marker (red line) a few millimeter on load, making the beat grid slightly off-beat and thereby the Saved Loop in the track is also no longer accurate and also slightly off.
Manually set:

After re-analyzing (just by loading track in a deck):

2 months manual work down the drain ????

Inviato Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 9:35 pm
I'm sure the devs will chime in. They definitely said that manual adjustments will not be modified with the new analyzer so I can't explain that one.

Inviato Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 9:38 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
'Options menu by the programmers to 'Re-Analyze tracks on load YES / NO' "

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 12:10 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Manually modified grids should indeed not be modified.
How do you usually modify the grid?

Also, which track did you use in the screenshot?

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 3:25 am
It is a random track from my collection (club music). A current club-track, so with a steady beat(grid). I have manually edit all my club tracks (with metronome ON) like in the first screenshot. Now, after VDJ automatic re-analyzing, metronome is slightly off (screenshot 2) (with is normal if you look at the position of the adjusted First Beat Marker) which also has effect on the Saved Loop (first beat of loop is also slightly off).
Here's how I modify grids:
1) I load the track in a deck (VDJ does it's automatic analyzing)
2) I open BPM Editor
3) I activate metronome, zoom in at the firs beat marker (red line) and if the metronome is off-beat (beginning from the First Beat Marker), I adjust (move) te first beat marker until metronome is on-beat.

In many cases I had to fine-tune the First Beat Marker position to be like in the first screenshot. If VDJ put the marker automatic spot-on, I did no adjust (logic, if it's good, no need to change).
So I made sure all my tracks are beat-grid (First Beat Marker set) like in screenshot 1. If VDJ didn't do it right, I adjusted it.
So in both cases the beat grid has to stay as it is.
Manually set or automatic set by VDJ.
If I didn't adjust the automatic set beat grid, that means it was good. So why redo it (and apparently adjust in some cases) a beat grid that was fine for me in the first place ?

I don't understand why VDJ does a reanalyzing of already analyzed tracks ? If a track is analyzed and you are not happy with the (beat grid) result, you manually adjust until you're satisfied. Or you CHOOSE to let VDJ reanalyze if you don't want to put effort in manual editing.

And being able to lock the beat grid when you put a lot of manual effort in finetuning is pretty essential in DJ software ...

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 12:48 pm
Kristof St wrote :
I don't understand why VDJ does a reanalyzing of already analyzed tracks

Read the second message again. The analysis code was updated / improved.

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 7:27 pm
To actually see the issue happening, I made this video.
Track is 'Dave Lambert - Funky town'.

And the track was already analyzed, you can see the LOAD marker (manually set by me).

These are screenshots of the before and after in BPM Editor:

BEFORE VDJ re-analyze (analyzed and edit/(re)set First Beat Marker by myself):

AFTER VDJ re-analyze (only by loading track in deck) modifying the First Beat Marker (wrong):

As you can see, VDJ automatic re-analyzed and moved the First Beat Marker (1/2 beat move forward), making the grid start (first of 4 beats measure) 1/2 beat too late.
Al tough the track was (before last software update) manually edit, LOAD marker set and First Beat Marker set on the right position, when loading the track AFTER the last software update (few days ago), VDJ re-analyzed and modified the First Beat Maker (and thereby also the beat grid), overruling my manual editing ...

Pretty nasty problem

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 9:00 pm
groovindj wrote :
Kristof St wrote :
I don't understand why VDJ does a reanalyzing of already analyzed tracks

Read the second message again. The analysis code was updated / improved.

Read the first line of Adion again ;-)

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 9:13 pm
I agree with Adion, but that's not what were failing to understand.

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 9:17 pm
I'll rephrase than: I don't understand why VDJ does a re-analyzing of already analyzed and manually modified tracks ?
But I think you know that's what I meant ;-)

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 9:24 pm
more is happening during analyzing of files then adjusting the beatgrid (volume analysis, key, beatgrid, etc....)

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 11:05 pm
If VDJ is only "re-analyzing" the tracks one time after the update was taken, then it has to be writing a hidden tag to the files or maintaining a file in the config folder to keep track of which tracks it has and hasn't encountered and "fixed" since the update. Otherwise It would re-analyze every track every time it's loaded after installing the update. If someone can figure out where this info is being stored, an external script could be written to tag all your tracks as "fixed", keeping the new and improved algorithm away from your previously analysed tracks. The mods have stated that tracks with manually added/adjusted BPM info should be automatically excluded from being re-analyzed by the update, but that doesn't keep it from muffing up the tracks which were properly auto-analyzed by the old algorithm and subsequently not manually adjusted. This should have been optional for premium users, otherwise we are paying to beta test unstable software, software that many of us count on to make our livelihood.

Inviato Wed 26 Jul 17 @ 5:47 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)