Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Tags loading on another computer

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hello,
I edited 71 files on one computer, and they synced to the cloud and to my notebook.
On the notebook, I hit Reload Tags.
Only SOME of the tags reload - those on the files of which I changed the filenames. Those where the filename stayed the same, Virtual DJ is not reloading the tags on the notebook.

If I go to the original computer and change the filename and save it, I can Recurse on the other computer, and the tags are loaded immediately. However, I can't seem to force them to reload.

a) Can we please look in to fixing this?
b) Is there a workaround that I can use in the meantime?

Inviato Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 12:38 am
Anyone seen this yet?

Inviato Sat 19 Aug 17 @ 2:20 am
Sean Arenas wrote :
Anyone seen this yet?

How can we get this looked at?

Inviato Wed 23 Aug 17 @ 10:35 am
I do this all the time with no issue.
I think you need to verify the tags are actually written to these files.

Also I would use a batch reload tags instead of recurse.

Inviato Wed 23 Aug 17 @ 11:32 am
wickedmix wrote :
I do this all the time with no issue.
I think you need to verify the tags are actually written to these files.

Also I would use a batch reload tags instead of recurse.

If you check my original post, you'll notice that I DO use the Reload Tags feature.

How do I "verify the tags are actually written" - I use VDJ to edit a file, I add tags, I Save the file, and VDJ views the file with all the tags. It's colored, it's got a genre, etc.

Google Drive syncs it to the notebook computer. On the notebook computer, I Recurse (to find any new files) then I Reload Tags (to make sure all tags are ready by VDJ). The tags for SOME of them are there (the ones who's filenames changed) but for OTHERS the tags are missing.

If I rename the file and re-sync it, the tags will appear. So, apparently the tags have saved to the file, they just aren't being read by VDJ on the Notebook unless the filename changes.

So, can we please look in to a fix for this, and is there a workaround that I can use in the meantime?

Inviato Wed 23 Aug 17 @ 10:15 pm
So let me get this straight.... the files that you've been editing (tags) had already been added to the notebook at some earlier point?

You've then edited the tags on another computer, and you're now trying to add those same tracks back to the notebook?

Inviato Wed 23 Aug 17 @ 10:47 pm
groovindj wrote :
So let me get this straight.... the files that you've been editing (tags) had already been added to the notebook at some earlier point?

You've then edited the tags on another computer, and you're now trying to add those same tracks back to the notebook?

The files exist on both computers.
I edit the tags on one computer. The file syncs to the other computer.
On the notebook, I recurse and reload tags.
But the new tags don't load.
If I rename the file on the original computer and sync that file, the tags load. Therefore, the tags are saving. They just aren't being reloaded on the notebook computer.

Inviato Thu 24 Aug 17 @ 2:06 am
Can someone please address this issue?

I've had two gigs since I posted about this that require he use of song themes. But since this feature isn't working correctly, it really messes up my ability to show a list of songs to a singer.

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 17 @ 7:27 pm
here is my guess VDJ does not update the modified file date when tags are changed so it causes these files not to get synced because the sync software only sees a change when dates change. therefore the files do not get the new tags on the other machine.

when you rename the file it works because the sync software sees a new file to sync.

test my theory by changing a tag and see if the modified date changes in explorer......

I would check for you but I do not have time at the moment .......

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 17 @ 7:35 pm
Why not work around it in the meantime?

Delete the files from the notebook, then clean yoyr DB (removing the reference to said files).

Once you've done that, add the files and let VDJ pick them up as if they're new.

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 17 @ 7:38 pm
wickedmix wrote :
here is my guess VDJ does not update the modified file date when tags are changed so it causes these files not to get synced because the sync software only sees a change when dates change. therefore the files do not get the new tags on the other machine.

when you rename the file it works because the sync software sees a new file to sync.

test my theory by changing a tag and see if the modified date changes in explorer......

I would check for you but I do not have time at the moment .......

Good suggestion, testing commencing.

1) Found "Blue Christmas" by Mickey Gilley and hit File Operations > Open in Finder
2) Edited it within VDJ and changed JUST the Genre (no other tags)
3) Clicked OK (did not click Rename File) and I have tags set to Auto Save

The file updated in about 3 seconds in the Finder window. Google Drive recognized the change and synced it to the cloud. Went to the notebook, the file synced. Hit reload tags and ... it got the tag.

It worked this particular time, but I'm not sure why it worked now, but doesn't work many other times.

I just did a search for ClrSng, a Genre tag I created for songs with a color in the title.

On my desktop computer, I have 77 files that match the search, but on the notebook only 41.

When I look at the two lists and sort by title, I can use the process of elimination to see which songs are not showing up with the ClrSng search on the Notebook.

So, I search for one of those. The date/time stamp is the same on both computers. I just did another Reload Tags, and the song still doesn't show the new Genre tag.

Why is the song not picking up the Genre tag on the notebook computer?

When I'm at a gig and edit a Genre tag on my Notebook, I want for it to sync back to my desktop. But it's only happening about 60% of the time (41 out of 70 files).

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 17 @ 9:33 pm
groovindj wrote :
Why not work around it in the meantime?

Delete the files from the notebook, then clean yoyr DB (removing the reference to said files).

Once you've done that, add the files and let VDJ pick them up as if they're new.

If I delete the files off the notebook, they will be deleted from the cloud. Google Drive automatically scans for changes and syncronizes files between all active devices.

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 17 @ 9:34 pm
Sean Arenas wrote :
they will be deleted from the cloud

Well so what? You've still got the originals somewhere, yes? They didn't just appear on the cloud from nowhere.

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 17 @ 10:15 pm
groovindj wrote :
Sean Arenas wrote :
they will be deleted from the cloud

Well so what? You've still got the originals somewhere, yes? They didn't just appear on the cloud from nowhere.

You only quoted part of what I said. Get the second sentence and you'll understand:
"Google Drive automatically scans for changes and syncronizes files between all active devices."

This means that if I delete the file from the notebook, it will be deleted from the cloud. Then my desktop computer will sync (meaning, it will delete the file from my desktop computer). Then all copies of my file are deleted.

Inviato Sat 26 Aug 17 @ 8:59 pm
I think you're making excuses. Creating a mountain out of a molehill.

TURN OFF THE CLOUD ACCESS.

Take backups of the files to an external HDD or flash drive (something that should be routine anyway).

Stop creating obstacles that aren't there. :-)

Inviato Sat 26 Aug 17 @ 9:13 pm
Just for testing purposes:

1) Turn OFF 'setTagsauto' option in VirtualDj on BOTH computers. This means that every time you update a song you'll have to press the WRITE TAG button.
However, this also means that VirtualDj INFO window will show you BOTH the info it keeps in it's database, and the info stored on the tag itself

2) On one computer edit a file and press the WRITE tags button.

3) Close VirtualDj

4) Let Google Drive do it's job

5) Start VirtualDj on the other computer.

6) Don't reload tags (yet)

7) Browse directly for the changed file and open INFO window. Observe if the updated tags info is present or not (it should show underneath each field)

8) If updated info is present then close INFO window and try reloading the tags to see if it updates the info on VirtualDj database or not. If the updated info is NOT present then Google drive DIDN'T sync the file!

9) Repeat the other way around (edit something on computer B then check on computer A)

PS: I don't know the mechanics of Google Drive, but here comes some technical information:
ID3 tags have a so called "white space" inside them. The correct term is "padding"
This white space is used to allow small modifications of the tag's data without changing the size of the file every time the info changes.
Therefore, small corrections of your tags (in terms of bits and bytes) won't result a file size change on the file itself!
Only if the white space get's filled the ID3 tag will grow up enough to hold the new data plus some new padding.

Depending on the mechanics of each syncing file software, this can be an issue. As I said I don't know how Google Drive detects file changes. However if GD gives a lot of trust on filesize then there's a chance it won't sync a file because it thinks the file hasn't changed despite the fact that it's timestap has.

Inviato Mon 28 Aug 17 @ 11:52 am
As stated above I use Robomirror to sync my music folder and my VDJ folder to an external HDD.

It takes literally seconds to sync between the machines and it works perfectly every time.

I found doing this through the cloud a nightmare as you get syncing errors and it caused a lot of hassle.

Inviato Mon 28 Aug 17 @ 11:56 am
mrdjalPRO InfinityMember since 2009
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Just for testing purposes:

1) Turn OFF 'setTagsauto' option in VirtualDj on BOTH computers. This means that every time you update a song you'll have to press the WRITE TAG button.
However, this also means that VirtualDj INFO window will show you BOTH the info it keeps in it's database, and the info stored on the tag itself

2) On one computer edit a file and press the WRITE tags button.

3) Close VirtualDj

4) Let Google Drive do it's job

5) Start VirtualDj on the other computer.

6) Don't reload tags (yet)

7) Browse directly for the changed file and open INFO window. Observe if the updated tags info is present or not (it should show underneath each field)

8) If updated info is present then close INFO window and try reloading the tags to see if it updates the info on VirtualDj database or not. If the updated info is NOT present then Google drive DIDN'T sync the file!

9) Repeat the other way around (edit something on computer B then check on computer A)

PS: I don't know the mechanics of Google Drive, but here comes some technical information:
ID3 tags have a so called "white space" inside them. The correct term is "padding"
This white space is used to allow small modifications of the tag's data without changing the size of the file every time the info changes.
Therefore, small corrections of your tags (in terms of bits and bytes) won't result a file size change on the file itself!
Only if the white space get's filled the ID3 tag will grow up enough to hold the new data plus some new padding.

Depending on the mechanics of each syncing file software, this can be an issue. As I said I don't know how Google Drive detects file changes. However if GD gives a lot of trust on filesize then there's a chance it won't sync a file because it thinks the file hasn't changed despite the fact that it's timestap has.

Great Job trying to help
Just felt I had to say that

Inviato Mon 11 Sep 17 @ 1:26 pm

Inviato Mon 11 Sep 17 @ 4:21 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)