Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Ideas for a better TimeCode experience/performance

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

The TimeCode performance with CD's is absolutely amazing, so I'm generally talking about using TimeCode-Vinyls.
I think there is a lot of room for improvements. Let me know what you think about it.

1. Improving Anti-Skip:
There is an "Anti-Skip" option already which only works in Smart-Mode.
But I think there are a lot more possibilities...
So if the turntable turns and I'm stopping it manually with my hand, the signal does NOT break off immediately,
and I mean within the first 100 milliseconds after touching the vinyl...
Rather it has a "fast decrease" due to the small movements happening by stopping the turntable manually.
So I can imagine to work with this difference:
If the software recognizes this relatively fast "decrease", it does what it does normally.
But if the software recognizes a really strong "cutaway" of the signal, just like lifting the needle, it should just keep running the song for a small amount of milliseconds until we can really say there is a difference between a needle-jump or if the needle was really lifted away.
But to not affect the scratch behavior this should only come to work if the signal really breaks away instantly.
This would be a reeeeaaal improvement on the stability, because small breaks caused by needle-bounces will just be skipped.
I can discover this behavior in some other softwares, too. They do a really small brakedown-effect in this case...
So it shouldn't be a problem for VDJ to get this working.
Maybe there could be an option to set the milliseconds:
0 = off
1-500 = milliseconds after a breakaway of the signal until the song stops.

2. Recognizing the Signal if not in use
If the option timecode_active is off, i see it as an important feature to still get a recognition of the TimeCode-Signal.
So I know even if I'm playing on "Internal Mode" what quality my TimeCode has.
I posted this in an other post already:
https://virtualdj.com/forums/221837/Wishes_and_new_features/Input-Level_and_quality_of_the_Timecode-Signal_even_if_TC_is_NOT_active_.html

3. TimeCode-Recognation-Antimation-Thing
To be faster at troubleshooting TimeCode-Problems, a big wish of mine is to get a visual element in the skin of the round TimeCode-Recognation-Antimation-Thing which you can find under "Options -> Timecode"...
I just call it "TimeCode-Spectrum".
In this way I could watch the signal and kind of estimate if it works fine with the bass getting through the turntable for example.
Or if both sides of the signal arrive the software.
Please do me that favour! <3
Maybe just like the song-cover element, but then it is "deck 1 timecode_spectrum" or something like that :)

4. StickerLock
I don't want to advertise other softwares. But in this case it is the only way to describe what I mean.
Serato has a feature that is called StickerLock.
I had it explained to me by a serato-developer... He said:
"Just because we are not using the absolute mode, it doesn't mean we dont have the absolute position on the vinyl.
This makes it possible to save a specific position on the Vinyl inside the software, mark it with a Sticker on the Vinyl, and sync it to a cue-point...
Now every time the vinyl passes this point we also pass the cue-point.
But even if the needle bounces, we can calculate where the Sticker on the Vinyl is located, so even if we are in relative mode, we can sync the cycling position of the Sticker to be on point. No matter on which minute we are on the vinyl... But if you spin back to the Sticker on the Vinyl, there will be your synced Cue-Point in the Software."

So I think this describes it very good...
And since VDJ has the RPM feature for the platters (which is not only an animation) there should not be a problem with implementing this feature.

5. SlipMode
Get the SlipMode working on TimeCode.
By recognizing the dirrfence between pitch/speed of the platter or real back and forth movements.
This already excists with "timecodePitchSlideIgnoreBend"... Why not make more with this information?

6. Switch automatically to Internal Mode and back again
Lets say the Vinyl is 15 minutes long.
Implement an option to set a minute- or a percentage-value after which the software jumps into internal mode (timecode_active off), so even if the needle is in the last groove of the Vinyl, the song doesn't get affected.
(Its saved inside the software that the needle passed this specific point with a regular movement, so the software plays the song but still waits in the background for the timecode signal.)
As soon as the needle gets lifed and dropped on a position before our specific point, timecode_active will be switched to on and the software used the timecode again.

7. Browse by TimeCode (Vinyl)
So we can recognize if the needle got lifted or if the platter is held by hand. (See point 1 of this post)
If the needle got lifted we can prepare the software for future actions related to the timecode...
(Just like point 6 of this post, but there is a difference between dropping the needle after the specific point or let the needle pass the point.)
In this case we want the software to browse if we drop the needle after the specific point.
So we scrub the vinyl back and forth and move around in our tracklist, we stop at our choosen track, lift the needle again and drop it before the specific point... The track will load and play just as we move the vinyl.

So I hope this ideas will be taken seriously or their potential even get recognizes by our programmers.
I would be soooo happy to see this features or a part of it in future updates...
Especially because some fragments of the needed algorhythms are already in the software.
Just make more out of them!

Thanks!

Inviato Tue 24 Apr 18 @ 3:00 am
8. Make the timecode_quality work more accurate
The timecode_quality query is way too slow.
Make it work faster without any or only very little decay-time (or give it an option to set the speed of the "refreshing-rate"), so it shows even small timecode-misreadings. This would be much more helpful.

9. Implement new Verbs

• get_level 'timecode' --> to get the Level of the TimeCode-Signal.
  • get_timecode_position or get_timecode_time --> to get the position of the timecode.
  • deck X timecode_calibrate --> To quickly re-calibrate the timecode of the given deck.
  • get_timecode_speed --> Gives back the real speed of the TimeCode-Signal.

10. Implement new Options

• timecodeBrowse Yes or No --> To turn on & off the browse-function via Timecode-Vinyl.
  • timecodeBrowseBorder --> After which point on the Vinyl the browse-function is available.
  • timecodeBrowseSpeed --> Set the sensivity of turning the vinyl and browsing speed.
  • timecodeQualityFPS --> Set the refreshing-rate of the timecode_quality, to make it possible to see quality changes percisly.
  • slipmodeOnTimecode Yes or No --> To set the possibility of slipmoding with timecode.
  • AutomaticInternal Yes or No --> To turn on & off the "Switching to InternalMode & back again automatically"-funtion.
  • AutomaticInternalBorder --> Set the point on the Vinyl after which the software automatically switches off timecode_active.

11. Give the TimeCode-Circles in the config a Silence-Area like in VDJ7
The Silence-Area was very helpful in VDJ7. Just bring it back again!
So we can see how the silence area relates to the timecode volume.

Inviato Thu 26 Apr 18 @ 2:04 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)