Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to set up for using laptop, VD, mixer, PA and headphones. - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Hi all,

I have a set next week and I am getting a little worried due to not knowing how to set up properly.

I have been told the PA company will be supplying a mixer, speakers and PA. I will be using a laptop, free version of VDJ, (a mouse and not a controller as my first time DJ-ing at a private party) and the internal sound card of laptop. Things I have at my disposal are a splitter cable, all other cables I have been told will be supplied by the PA hire company. Can anyone tell me how to configure this planned set up - IE what goes from laptop, to mixer and then PA and where will I plug head phones in. To date I have been practising at home with headphones and a small speaker. Also the configuration settings withing virtual DJ for this and for mixing in my headphones?

Thanks in advance.

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 12:06 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Sounds like you are throwing yourself in the deepend here mate,
What sounds ok on a home stereo can sound terrible on a PA, I'd really recomend a stereo out external sound card (audio interface)

But if you're going to go ahead and use the internal sound card take your splitter and plug the left and right in to separate desk channels, bring 2 rca to 1/4 " (mono) convertors as some desks are limited on the rca inputs, the headphone channel keep the desk fader down, and pfl on, and plug your phones in to the desk.
I'd also recommend using the stereochanel addon on your master to mix down stereo to mono.

Final thing have some sort of simple back up.

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 12:47 pm
Thanks Loco.

That's why I wanted to ask mate as I feel like i'm going in the deep end here. The PA company reckon they have everything we need but I want to make sure.

Have you got any links to the type of sound cards with outputs I might need mate? Hopefully some reasonably priced ones haha?

I am getting even more worried now and don't want to have to back out due to not having the right set up and have just over a week.

Also have you got link to the types of cable you mentioned?

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 12:55 pm
While i have a look for a audio interface, please tell me what your splitter cable looks like, obviously 1 end is a stereo 1/8 inch jack, whats on the other end?

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 1:04 pm
Have a google shop for "audio interface 2 out"

Anything will sound better than internal audio, you'll also need 2 stereo 1/4 inch jacks to patch from your AI to their desk but if you let the PA company know they'll have loads of these.

Actually every pa guy i've met has more converters adaptors and work arounds to wire a festival, get there early, ask to speak to them after they've done their bit, and if you go for a AI you have 1 master mono balanced and 1 monitor balanced.
If you go internal you have tje same but unbalanced.

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 1:22 pm
HI loco, would I also need teh pro version of VDJ as I havethe free version with IDJ pool subscription?

Thanks

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 1:53 pm
With just a master&headphones output you are ok using a home licence.

That's a weird splitter for djing, i honestly can't say what would happen plugging it to a PA with that.

Something like this is the usual route for home master&headphones setups

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-STEREO-SOCKETS-SPLITTER-CABLE/dp/B005ERD4AC

The correct way to describe what you want is
Stereo minijack (3.5mm or 1/8 inch for imperial) male, split to 2 mono minijack female.

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 2:20 pm
Hi Loco,

I may have posted wrong pic. The splitter I have goes into the laptop headphone socket and then has two 3.5mm inputs coming from that mate. Looks teh same as teh one you posted.

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 2:26 pm
The cable you posted was a mic headphone splitter, it actually might work i just can't get my head round what that would do to a mixing desk.

The AI, very cheap but will be better than internal audio, and since it has rca outs (known as unbalanced outs) you would need a pair of rca leads and 2 rca to jack adaptors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/6-35mm-inch-Phono-Socket-Adaptors/dp/B008F7T2XQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529592117&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rca+to+jack+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=41PATpR6u%2BL&ref=plSrch

To plug in to their desk.

Ideally you want something with balenced outputs, but for that you need stereo jack or xlr outs and associated cables.
But it's not the end of the world, the desk will have unbalanced inputs.

i think you will have more value in unbalanced, you'd get more use in a home setup,
Good luck with the gig, here's hoping you get more.

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 2:56 pm
Thanks Loco. Appreciate all your help mate.

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 3:09 pm
I'd suggest you need to have a word with either the PA company or the organiser, as if all they've told you is "a mixer" that's not enough info.

Is it a DJ mixer or a PA mixer (for bands etc)? They're different beasties, with different types of inputs, channels and outputs.

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 4:28 pm
JoyDivision1974... Everyone is giving great advise, here. My two bits are...

-The Behringer UFO-222 is a decent unbalanced line interface for this purpose. I carry a UFO-202, as a fallback device. Having this will allow you to use the headphone jack for a headphone, and actually use it to cue up songs.
. Carry a good RCA cable pair with you.
. To cover your bases on connectivity, it would be worth getting an RCA(Female to mini-stereo adapter, as well as a couple female RCA to male TS (1/4" plug) adapters. That should help ensure you get patched into most mixers.
.. Side Note: Make sure you set your line level and keep it in one place. That will allow the sound staff to set gain levels so you are high enough without saturating the input stage.

- Go Professional! Not only is it in the software terms of use, but the features you get will more than justify using it. At least, pay for the first month and get through the show. Consider investing in the full version. I am sure you will be glad you did!

I have to say that this is an exciting moment for you. Congratulations on getting your first gig offer! May you do well and continue to get better on every event you engage!

Inviato Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 9:56 pm
Thanks Audio. Really appreciate you input. Thanks also for your good wishes.

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 18 @ 6:54 am
Audi,

Have you got a link to the cables you mentioned and what they look like as I am not sure?

Thanks

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 18 @ 10:45 am
From the Amazon UK site, these seem to be coming up near the top...
-
UGREEN RCA Cable, 2RCA to 2RCA Male Stereo Audio Cable 2m Gold Plated for DJ Controller
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Controller-Theater-Consoles-Systems/dp/B00B2HOY4S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529684934&sr=8-4&keywords=stereo+RCA+cables
-
UGREEN RCA Audio Cable, 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 2 RCA Phono Y Audio Splitter Cable 2m for DJ Controller
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Splitter-Surround-Controller-Connector-Green/dp/B00LM2Y2U4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1529684934&sr=8-6&keywords=stereo%2BRCA%2Bcables&th=1

Usually, with line-out devices like the UFO-222, you can keep the gain at 100% and let VDJ and the sound staff get you at amplitude. If they let you know you have distortion, start dropping down to 95 or 90 and see how that does.

Again, the best to you and let everyone know how you did!

Joydivision1974 wrote :
Audi,

Have you got a link to the cables you mentioned and what they look like as I am not sure?

Thanks

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 18 @ 4:33 pm
Is it me, or does this young person seem to be getting more confused, as his post multiply? Learning to DJ via forum, is like trying to become a surgeon by watching Grey's Anatomy. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and now I'm going to add to it.

1. His profile says he lives in the states, why are we giving him UK links? Yeah, I know he started it, but we should have directed him to U.S. sites, which may have different availabilities, and shipping times.

2. We have a list of acceptable interfaces located here.

3. In your first thread you said that you were not using a controller, but a mouse. So, I assume you are not using a DJ mixer to mix, but mixing in the software. If this is the case, then a Numark DJIO2, will help you out. You will only need one of these. You should also buy this. Just in case the sound companies mixer on takes 1/4 inch inputs. (The four pack is just for good measure, in case you drop one through a grate)

4. You don't have a DJ friend that can actually show you these basic (for us), setup scenarios? This will help you more than a bunch of guys telling you over the forum. What state do you live in, maybe one of our members live close enough to help you?

5. I am going to close you other threads, because they should all lead here. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 18 @ 7:24 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
Is it me, or does this young person seem to be getting more confused, as his post multiply? Learning to DJ via forum, is like trying to become a surgeon by watching Grey's Anatomy. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and now I'm going to add to it.

1. His profile says he lives in the states, why are we giving him UK links? Yeah, I know he started it, but we should have directed him to U.S. sites, which may have different availabilities, and shipping times.

2. We have a list of acceptable interfaces located here.

3. In your first thread you said that you were not using a controller, but a mouse. So, I assume you are not using a DJ mixer to mix, but mixing in the software. If this is the case, then a Numark DJIO2, will help you out. You will only need one of these. You should also buy this. Just in case the sound companies mixer on takes 1/4 inch inputs. (The four pack is just for good measure, in case you drop one through a grate)

4. You don't have a DJ friend that can actually show you these basic (for us), setup scenarios? This will help you more than a bunch of guys telling you over the forum. What state do you live in, maybe one of our members live close enough to help you?

5. I am going to close you other threads, because they should all lead here. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks mate. Apologies that I am getting confused. I seem to have got bogged down with the wealth of information I have received.

I have changed my profile to UK now as not sure why it said US as thought I set that.

The PA company said they would provide a DJ mixer.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else near me that uses virtual DJ which would have been a huge help.

Hopefully I can get through this upcoming set as I'm getting more worried by the day.

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 5:02 am
Joydivision1974, I am glad to see we have a senior moderator in to give pointers! The first gig is a right of passage. How well you perform is dependent on your abilities. One doesn't start out a professional, but I did make the assumption that you have been doing enough mixing to feel like making your debut. Since you asked about connecting your gear, that is how I approached this thread. And, I did fail to include the RCA-to-TS connectors link I said I would. "A Man and His Music" has a US Amazon link to a 4 pack that I am sure you can find on the UK side.

If you know the DJ controller you will be given to use, check the Virtual DJ Addons (plugins) menu for a skin to match it... https://www.virtualdj.com/plugins/ . It usually helps to have the screen match. I am nearly 60 and use a 24 inch touch screen as my controller... I tend to be unorthodox in my approach... hence the 'AudioMaverick' name...

I am in California, and it is about 11:30PM, here. I am not sure we can coordinate hours, but I would be up for seeing if we could do a short Google Remote Desktop to go over some basics with you. That 7 to 8 hours plus side for you might not do well, but worth a try.

If you do feel you would like to see some examples, You tube has some decent short videos to check out. If they make you nervous, then you can decide if you think you are jumping in early.
. Crossfader - I just ran across this you Tube site, this week. About a month ago, the "DJ Tips & Tricks" category put out "5 Mixing Ideas for DJs - Transition Techniques" If you can do 2 or 3 of these, you might be in good shape for a standard floor set... Not so good for EDM/House. I don't have the UK URL, but here is the US link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hc8bmEaCqM
. There are beginner lessons that I am assuming you are ahead of. You will notice that a lot of these tutorials are Serato based, even on Digital DJ Tips. If I can assist, I will!

You only have you first time, once. It is OK to feel overwhelmed. Do your planning, pick you music set(s) and practice, practice, practice!

By the way, I noticed your status is now "Pro Subscriber"... Time to get into the Filters! I'll shoot you a PM on using the comments section to help find music... as soon as I find my notes (:>)

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 6:41 am
AudioMaverick wrote :
Joydivision1974, I am glad to see we have a senior moderator in to give pointers! The first gig is a right of passage. How well you perform is dependent on your abilities. One doesn't start out a professional, but I did make the assumption that you have been doing enough mixing to feel like making your debut. Since you asked about connecting your gear, that is how I approached this thread. And, I did fail to include the RCA-to-TS connectors link I said I would. "A Man and His Music" has a US Amazon link to a 4 pack that I am sure you can find on the UK side.

If you know the DJ controller you will be given to use, check the Virtual DJ Addons (plugins) menu for a skin to match it... https://www.virtualdj.com/plugins/ . It usually helps to have the screen match. I am nearly 60 and use a 24 inch touch screen as my controller... I tend to be unorthodox in my approach... hence the 'AudioMaverick' name...

I am in California, and it is about 11:30PM, here. I am not sure we can coordinate hours, but I would be up for seeing if we could do a short Google Remote Desktop to go over some basics with you. That 7 to 8 hours plus side for you might not do well, but worth a try.

If you do feel you would like to see some examples, You tube has some decent short videos to check out. If they make you nervous, then you can decide if you think you are jumping in early.
. Crossfader - I just ran across this you Tube site, this week. About a month ago, the "DJ Tips & Tricks" category put out "5 Mixing Ideas for DJs - Transition Techniques" If you can do 2 or 3 of these, you might be in good shape for a standard floor set... Not so good for EDM/House. I don't have the UK URL, but here is the US link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hc8bmEaCqM
. There are beginner lessons that I am assuming you are ahead of. You will notice that a lot of these tutorials are Serato based, even on Digital DJ Tips. If I can assist, I will!

You only have you first time, once. It is OK to feel overwhelmed. Do your planning, pick you music set(s) and practice, practice, practice!

By the way, I noticed your status is now "Pro Subscriber"... Time to get into the Filters! I'll shoot you a PM on using the comments section to help find music... as soon as I find my notes (:>)

Thanks mate. Your post was really helpful.

I have watched loads of You tube videos and my mixing, beat matching and fading in and out etc are a lot better with practice.

I am editing my comments in library as we speak.

I won't be using a controller and touch screen.

My only issue at present seems to be the sound card one. Do I stick with the Behringer UCA22 one or go with a Numark DJ IO II USB DJ Audio Interface, what do you all think??

I am starting to think I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 8:24 am
43%