Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to set up for using laptop, VD, mixer, PA and headphones. - Page: 2

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

I have spoken to the PA store and they are supplying 2 powered speakers for connection to laptop. I will use the Behringer audio interface for my headphones cueing etc. I will plug speakers into laptop and use the mixer within VDJ. Hopefully this set up will work as I have been advised this should be OK.

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 9:20 am
Using a "virtual" mixer on screen with just a mouse is very different to having hands-on control with a physical DJ mixer or a USB DJ controller.

This is why the vast majority of "computer DJs" use hardware connected to their computer, to give them real knobs, buttons and faders.

One big difference is that DJs may often need to control two things at once, with both hands. You simply can't do that with a mouse.

Even something as basic as a Numark DJ2GO will be more comfortable than nothing at all, IMO.

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 11:17 am
groovindj wrote :
Using a "virtual" mixer on screen with just a mouse is very different to having hands-on control with a physical DJ mixer or a USB DJ controller.

This is why the vast majority of "computer DJs" use hardware connected to their computer, to give them real knobs, buttons and faders.

One big difference is that DJs may often need to control two things at once, with both hands. You simply can't do that with a mouse.

Even something as basic as a Numark DJ2GO will be more comfortable than nothing at all, IMO.

Thanks mate. That controller I did look at funnily enough. Would it need mapping and would I still need the audio interface/two soundcards with that controller? Would it just be plug and play with the license I have or do i need to just select that controller and it will work? Could I also just use the small cheap usb soundcard I have with the internal one and this controller if need be?

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 12:17 pm

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 12:30 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
Numark DJ2GO 2 Portable DJ Controller with Built-In Audio Interface https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074D5NXT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7XJlBbD0EPKWC
If you go for the DJ2GO 2 then it includes an audio interface. It is plug and play with VDJ so you’ll be good to go.

Thanks mate I will go for that I think! In terms of set up does it need the two sound cards or just that. I am thinking in terms of mixing, cueing etc? Then do the powered speakers just still go in to laptop as per PA shop? I take it it comes with all cables needed? Cheers

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 12:37 pm
Joydivision1974 wrote :
djtouchdan wrote :
Numark DJ2GO 2 Portable DJ Controller with Built-In Audio Interface https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074D5NXT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7XJlBbD0EPKWC
If you go for the DJ2GO 2 then it includes an audio interface. It is plug and play with VDJ so you’ll be good to go.

Thanks mate I will go for that I think! In terms of set up does it need the two sound cards or just that. I am thinking in terms of mixing, cueing etc? Then do the powered speakers just still go in to laptop as per PA shop? I take it it comes with all cables needed? Cheers

this controller has built in sound card that covers cueing and master outputs......
this is a link to the vdj manual for it so you can see what it does before you purchase it -> https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/numark/dj2go2.html

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 12:49 pm
wickedmix wrote :
Joydivision1974 wrote :
djtouchdan wrote :

this controller has built in sound card that covers cueing and master outputs......
this is a link to the vdj manual for it so you can see what it does before you purchase it -> https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/numark/dj2go2.html

Mate this looks perfect! What cable would I need from this to go into powered speakers?

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 12:56 pm
Just ordered it. Now I can't wait to get it. Thanks for all your help re this everyone.

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 1:04 pm
That depends on the speakers. They may have XLR inputs, or jack inputs (6.3mm mono or 3.5mm stereo), or RCA.

You're probably safest with something like this.

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 1:07 pm
groovindj wrote :
That depends on the speakers. They may have XLR inputs, or jack inputs (6.3mm mono or 3.5mm stereo), or RCA.

Thanks mate I will have to check. They said the speakers would go straight into the laptop but not sure I could do that into the controller?

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 1:08 pm
If they're supplying a cable then it will probably have a 3.5mm stereo jack plug on it, for the laptop.

The same 3.5mm jack fitting is on the DJ2GO so you'd just plug into there instead of the laptop.

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 1:14 pm
groovindj wrote :
If they're supplying a cable then it will probably have a 3.5mm stereo jack plug on it, for the laptop.

The same 3.5mm jack fitting is on the DJ2GO so you'd just plug into there instead of the laptop.

Thanks so much mate!

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 1:15 pm
You'd better buy your own cable anyway, just in case they don't supply one, or it's too short or whatever. Also good to just have a spare.

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 1:19 pm
Joydivision1974 wrote :
I have spoken to the PA store and they are supplying 2 powered speakers for connection to laptop. I will use the Behringer audio interface for my headphones cueing etc. I will plug speakers into laptop and use the mixer within VDJ. Hopefully this set up will work as I have been advised this should be OK.

You haven't mentioned your mixing style, yet. It wouldn't hurt to plug in the controller, at least as a standby. It may have its own audio interface.

I do pretty well with the touch screen, for my needs. Using just the mouse for electronic would be difficult. I hope yours is wired! I do still use the mouse to do some menu navigation, but not as a course of mixing.

I think you will be good in the audio chain. Keep on practicing as if you are already there! The better you do on this first gig, the more likely the 'bug' will drive you to better yourself and become one of the pros!

Good luck! It is time for breakfast in California, so I am off to the kitchen... The best to you!

Inviato Sat 23 Jun 18 @ 2:05 pm
AudioMaverick wrote :
Joydivision1974 wrote :

You haven't mentioned your mixing style, yet. It wouldn't hurt to plug in the controller, at least as a standby. It may have its own audio interface.

I do pretty well with the touch screen, for my needs. Using just the mouse for electronic would be difficult. I hope yours is wired! I do still use the mouse to do some menu navigation, but not as a course of mixing.

I think you will be good in the audio chain. Keep on practicing as if you are already there! The better you do on this first gig, the more likely the 'bug' will drive you to better yourself and become one of the pros!

Good luck! It is time for breakfast in California, so I am off to the kitchen... The best to you!

Not sure what my mixing style is to be sure mate haha.

Yeah, I will have a wired mouse as well.

I am very excited about this gig and think it's a great way to do my first one as not in a club and no payment for it but lots of people, outside and there will be lots of people up for a good night. Just hope I don't get pestered for requests all night lol.

Hope you enjoyed your breakfast. Today England play in the world cup and I'm doing a BBQ for some friends and I may even spin a tune or two.

Inviato Sun 24 Jun 18 @ 7:51 am
Joydivision1974, just a note about quotes on this forum. If you are responding to a post right above the post that you are writing, you don't have to quote it. Also, where do you live, Shirley there has to be a DJ that lives close to you, that uses VirtualDJ?

Inviato Mon 25 Jun 18 @ 3:00 am
HI A Man.

Thanks for advice. Honestly, I don't know anyone near me that uses VDJ. I am in Kent UK.

Inviato Mon 25 Jun 18 @ 7:06 am
So I plugged in the DJ2GO2 last night. Have to say I was very impressed and has set me in good stead for the set on Saturday. This will take a little getting used to to use as only have a matter of days now. I did notice I will have to be careful around the jog wheels as they are very sensitive. Thanks all for your help.

Inviato Tue 26 Jun 18 @ 10:04 am
I would turn off vinyl mode. That way the jogs will only pitch bend and you’ll be less likely to make an obvious error.

Inviato Tue 26 Jun 18 @ 11:47 am
djtouchdan wrote :
I would turn off vinyl mode. That way the jogs will only pitch bend and you’ll be less likely to make an obvious error.

Thanks mate. I will look into that. Cheers.

Inviato Tue 26 Jun 18 @ 12:29 pm
87%