Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Song stopped twice last night - had to restart controller and VDJ - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

I am using a Pioneer XDJ-RX2 on a MacBook Pro with latest version of VDJ 2018 (early access). Twice last night while I was warming up (thankfully) the song started to stutter (and the jogwheel stuttered) until it stopped after about 5 seconds. I loaded in a new song which started to play but then did the same thing. I tried to restart VDJ but got no sound through my controller so had to restart that too. This happened twice. Fortunately during the main bit of my set it was alright.
I did wonder whether it was heat related but my laptop felt cool and I managed 5 hours the night before in a much hotter room. I'm a bit worried now for my main gig next Friday as it appeared quite random. As the program didn't crash as such (I manually closed it) will there be anything on my log? I wasn't connected to the internet at the time but have since run VDK with an internet connection if it sends it retrospectively.

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 4:10 pm
unless the program closes and reopens by itself there will be no reports sent as far as i know

make sure you have a good tight USB cable. and as always keep you laptop cool.

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 4:14 pm
USB cable is decent and the MacBook felt pretty cool to me.

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 4:17 pm
Is it the USB cable that came with the controller? Change it anyway, just to be sure & eliminate that possibility.

As for heat, well it's been up around 30C/86F for weeks now in the UK, and that's the ambient temperature. The laptop will be hotter than that as it's generating heat. If it doesn't have nice cool air to replace the hot stuff, it will struggle - and 30C is not cool!

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 4:24 pm
It's a new cable as it's used with a MacBook Pro so needed a USB C connection. Would a high temperature cause the problem though? The program was still responsive is as much as I cold load a new track etc. Just stuttered and stopped after a few seconds. It wasn't actually frozen as such.

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 7:43 pm
Computers do strange things when they're too hot, so you shouldn't rule it out.

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 7:53 pm
Can you get laptop stands with a fan on to cool it maybe??

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 7:57 pm
Yes you can, and I guess it might help a little, but it's just too damn hot at the moment.

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 8:07 pm
My Apple Mac has lived on an Akasa cooling plate for 8 years, but, even that has not been enough in these unusual temperatures,

I bought one of these last week and, blasting it onto the back of the laptop, I found my CPU core temperatures dropped by 5-7°C.

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 11:07 pm
Happened again last night, froze and lost connection with controller. The room wasn't hot so I don't think it's that. Going to try going back to an older build.

Inviato Sat 14 Jul 18 @ 9:56 am
How exactly are you connecting the RX2 (with a USB B connector) to the USB-C socket?

The ideal thing would be to try using the RX2 with some other software, to determine if the problem is VDJ or the connection.

Inviato Sat 14 Jul 18 @ 11:26 am
I have a USB b to USB c cable. No hubs or adaptors. I have been using the RX2 successfully until the last couple of weeks.

Inviato Sat 14 Jul 18 @ 12:20 pm
And it froze with 2 different cables too...

Inviato Sat 14 Jul 18 @ 5:27 pm

Inviato Sat 14 Jul 18 @ 5:35 pm
Yeah I going to try going back to a previous build and running an overnight test. The cables were amazon ones I think. I used to use a £20 USB cable on my old mac!

Inviato Sat 14 Jul 18 @ 5:47 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Over night test is only so good if you have a loose port on the hardware, I say this from experience I used to use my launchpad in upright positions likely stretching (stressing the port contacts) and while it would work, a press, nudge or bass vibration could break the connection and cause all types of hell with the operating system.
So test over night, but then test with mundane actions (play pause, hotcues, slap the crossfader about, etc) if overnight is fine and interaction causes problems, it's the port.

Inviato Sat 14 Jul 18 @ 7:27 pm
At the time of the freezes there was no interaction going on, so it could possibly have been bass. Not had chance to set the test up yet. Will also test with my old MacBook Pro as well (2014) to see if there is any difference. The ports themselves don't feel loose - feels a solid connection when they go in but who knows.

Inviato Sun 15 Jul 18 @ 6:02 am
Also these last 2 times the songs stopped completely whereas in my original post they stuttered first. They could be completely unrelated I suppose (heat causing the stutter possibly)

Inviato Sun 15 Jul 18 @ 6:04 am
I downloaded build 4451 and ran it for 5 hours in the day and 8 hours last night. No freezes at all. I waggled the cables incase a connection was loose but all seemed to be fine. I'm going to update to the latest build today and run another test to see if it the latest build that was the problem.

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 18 @ 7:45 am
UPDATE - I ran the latest build today and after about 2.5 hours (the same sort of time as happened las week) the XDJ-RX2 had frozen whilst VDJ continued. I can't remember last Friday whether it was the hardware or software that froze but obviously some kind of interruption between the two. I've again now gone back to build 4451 and began running exactly the same tracks through VDJ overnight to see what happens. If it is OK, then I'm sure there must be a problem between this hardware and the latest builds somehow. Let's wait and see what happens. As I said, a couple of weeks ago I was running fine.

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 18 @ 9:27 pm
77%