Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Shouldn't "Master Tempo" option be labelled "Key Lock" ?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

ScooxHome userMember since 2018
Like the topic title says, it took me an hour to figure out, by trial and error, that unchecking the "Master Tempo" option in the Smart Play menu (which pops up after clicking a tiny round button) is what is what allows the pitch fader to not only alter playback speed but also pitch. What's the reasoning behind this?

Inviato Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 3:55 am
"Master Tempo" is by far a more popular term than "Key Lock" and therefore you should know what it means.
Also it's function is different than "Key Lock"

"Master Tempo" once engaged will return the track to it's original key, no matter the pitch adjustment.
"Key Lock" once engaged will lock the track's key to it's current value, allowing the pitch slider to be used for further tempo adjustment.
With "Key Lock" it is possible to use the pitch slider to adjust both the key, and tempo of a song at the desired values.

Inviato Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 7:30 am
Ah, I understand. Obviously this works different from what I'm used to, but now that I understand it it seems more flexible than Traktor for sure. The thing that confused me is the word "Master" which, in this context, I still don't really understand. "Master" is either the master section of the mixer or the master deck which the slave decks sync to. When the option is checked, the pitch fader changes tempo but not pitch.

If the term "Key Lock" may be understood as locking the key its current value, then perhaps something like "Use original key" would have been more revealing. You show that to any Traktor user and they probably won't be able to even guess what that option does. Maybe the term "Master Tempo" is used in other DJ software or hardware and it's possible I am not aware of it.

Inviato Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 7:50 am
It's used on all Pioneer CDJ units since 1998 :)

Inviato Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 8:06 am
Fair enough. I honestly can't guess what lead Pioneer folks to choose the term "Master tempo" when what they really mean is "Preserve original pitch" or, as many other DJ applications call it, Key Lock. Key Lock locks the key, it doesn't matter if it's the current key or the original key, either way the key is locked. Even on Pioneer forums there are users who are confused by the term Master Tempo:

Here is a thread on Pioneer DJ forums where a user is confused by the term "Master tempo", and other users reply saying it is also known as "Key Lock", and then the question is instantly solved: https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203089119-Master-tempo-help-please

And another one: https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204281706--Solved-Keylock-function-

In this other article, it says: "it’s all about the Key Lock function you use. Pioneer call it Master Tempo, but it works the same. I’m going to call it Master Tempo too, just to avoid confusion." http://daniellesden.com/blog/all/master-tempo/

So the question remains, how does the Master Tempo affect tempo? Answer: It doesn't, therefore the word "tempo" should not be in the name". It affects key, so the word "key" should be somewhere in there.

Gear/software that uses the term KEY LOCK: Deckadance, Traktor, Serato, Denon
Gear/software that uses the term MASTER TEMPO: Pioneer (CDJ & Rekordbox)

But I guess a million flies can't be wrong!

Inviato Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 10:01 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)