Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Dual Deck & Clone (Instant Double) modes with DDJ-SZ

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi all,

First, thanks for all the community that helps to use this wonderful DJ software.
I use VDJ since... around 15 years ago.

Second thing : please, excuse me for my bad english, I'm from France.

Here is my issue :

I moved from my Pioneer DDJ-SX (White Edition) to a DDJ-SZ.
I was really happy with my SX, but I lost some functions with the SZ... Or maybe I did not find it.

Dual Deck mode
During some of my sets, I used to use the Dual Deck button, to control simultaneously 2 decks (1&3 or 2&4) : play, loops, etc.

I am not able to use this mode, now that I'm DJing with the SZ.
There is no dedicated button, and it seems that nothing is mapped to activate this function.

The DDJ-SX2 has no dedicated Dual Deck button : you have to click on Deck 1 & 3 buttons to enable it.

I suppose it would possible to map the same on the SZ.
Could someone please help me on mapping this function from the SX2 ?
Or is there any script able to do it ?

Clone mode
Always on the DDJ-SZ, is it possible to have the Dual Deck function (also called Instant Doucle in Serato) ?
On the SX, there is a dedicated Load button that can be used for mapping the clone function to the selected channel.
(For me, it has never worked...)

On the SZ, there is only the browser knob per deck to load a track.
Any help for this action, too, please ?

Thanks for your help. :D

Inviato Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 11:11 am
For clone:
Change the "BROWSE_LOAD" key mapping form "browser_enter" to "doubleclick ? clone_from_deck : browser_enter"

For dual deck functionality:
The dual deck functionality on Pioneer units is firmware controlled. In other words it's the device that sends "Dual" or single (per deck) messages.
I don't remember if SZ has dual deck functionality or not, but since it's a newer model than SX and an older model from SX2 my guess is that it should have the dual functionality implemented the same way as SX2 does. Hold down deck 1 and deck 3 buttons at the same time.
If that doesn't turn on "dual" functionality then the unit does not support this mode.
It IS possible to emulate this mode in VirtualDJ by remapping the device, but you must remap almost all the keys, and the code is not simple.
However if the device does not offer dual mode and you wish to try remapping it let me know and I will give you some guidelines on how to proceed

Inviato Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 1:29 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
For clone:
Change the "BROWSE_LOAD" key mapping form "browser_enter" to "doubleclick ? clone_from_deck : browser_enter"

For dual deck functionality:
The dual deck functionality on Pioneer units is firmware controlled. In other words it's the device that sends "Dual" or single (per deck) messages.
[...]

First, I want to thank you, PhantomDeejay for your answer.
I really appreciate.

I will give a try with the script you sent me for the Clone option.
Hope it will work. It will be more efficient than using it with the GUI (that is not always present, depending of the skins).

Regarding the Dual Deck mode, there is no mention of this possibility on the Pioneer official website, and no dedicated button on the controller.
I guess it's not implemented within, even if the SX is older than the SZ.
That's why I believed that mapping a sort of script, inspired from the SX2 that has no dedicated button, would be a possible workaround.

And you are maybe right : adding this functionnality may need to remap most of the buttons...
But maybe that would be a good idea to implement it with some other functions to enhance the experience with the SZ within VDJ ?
For the SX, I used an addon called Pioneer DDJ-SX VDJ8 Performance Mapper, that can be download from the VDJ site, section Download / Plugins & Add-ons / Others
Then maybe creating an addon called Pioneer DDJ-SZ VDJ8 Performance Mapper could be a good thing ?

One last thing : could you please explain me what's the difference between the actions clone_deck and clone_from_deck ?

Many thanks.

Inviato Sun 24 Feb 19 @ 6:20 pm
1) Regardless of the mapper, the "Dual Deck" option for SX is firmware implemented. This means that when dual mode is active the device itself sends MIDI messages for both decks at the same time. Which means that the mapper does not need any special mapping to handle that.

In a nutshell, changing the mapping to handle dual deck operation turns a simple mapping like "play" to a much more complex mapping like: action_deck 1 ? var_equal '$DualDeckL' 1 ? deck 1 play & deck 3 play : play : action_deck 2 ? var_equal '$DualDeckR' 1 ? deck 2 play & deck 4 play : play : action_deck 3 ? var_equal '$DualDeckL' 1 ? deck 1 play & deck 3 play : play : action_deck 4 ? var_equal '$DualDeckR' 1 ? deck 2 play & deck 4 play : play

2) clone_from_deck clones the song from the other deck to this deck, while clone_deck clones the song from this deck to the other deck.
Basically the 2 actions do the same thing, but they have different direction (so it depends on which deck you want to press the clone button to get the desired behavior)

Inviato Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 10:44 am
Thank you again, PhantomDeejay.
I still have not taken time to try the mapping for deck cloning.
My bad...

Regarding the Dual Deck function, it looks like it has never been implemented in the SZ/RZ families.

Why did they not add this feature, when they add it to th SX/RX families ??

Inviato Fri 15 Mar 19 @ 3:18 pm
FigDj1PRO InfinityMember since 2017
My 2 cents. On the DDJ-SZ2 press both buttons at the same time for dual deck control. 1 and 3 on the left or 2 and 4 for the right.

Inviato Fri 15 Mar 19 @ 6:53 pm
FigDj1 wrote :
My 2 cents. On the DDJ-SZ2 press both buttons at the same time for dual deck control. 1 and 3 on the left or 2 and 4 for the right.

It has been probably implemented on the second iteration of the DDJ-SZ.

But I have read here and there that for some DJs, it was a showstopper to buy the first SZ because Dual deck was one of the missing functions, and they went for the SZ2...
But for my part, I couldn't afford to pay for the SZ2... :(

Inviato Mon 03 Jun 19 @ 10:38 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)