Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 4 Channel Controller Recommendations? - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

HutsyPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Hi Guys,

Been flirting with the idea of updating my controller and moving onto a 4 channel, along with performance pads to try and encourage my creativity.

I've been using a Pioneer DDJ Ergo which has been doing me proud and I've learned a lot using it. It's still performing well so I have nothing against it, but compared to controllers nowadays, there's hardware restrictions in terms of buttons / number of hot cues etc available.

I'd still like it to be portable, so anyone have any recommendations?

Much appreciated!

John

Inviato Mon 06 May 19 @ 6:41 am
Best choice is Traktor s4mk3, but, unfortunately, it still doesn't have 100% working official mapping, There is beta mapping for this controller altough

Inviato Mon 06 May 19 @ 9:05 am
Did you look at the Pioneer range? SX3, SZ2, RZ, 1000?

I've got an SX2 and an RZ. Both portable. The SX2 is in a flight case and the RZ in a Magma "bag" case.

What's your budget?

Inviato Mon 06 May 19 @ 9:59 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
gegenava wrote :
Best choice is Traktor s4mk3, but, unfortunately, it still doesn't have 100% working official mapping,

So not a good choice then.

Inviato Mon 06 May 19 @ 1:52 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
depends on your buget.
I would say pio SX3 with a flightcase.

Inviato Mon 06 May 19 @ 4:33 pm
Cheers guys!

Will be checking them all out.

As far as budget is concerned, it mainly depends on how many years I'll get out of the unit. I am still very much a beginner, especially in terms of playing out in front of people so this jump from the DDJ Ergo, should last a very long time.

Now to dive in!

Any more suggestions still welcome whilst I take a look through the options :)

Inviato Mon 06 May 19 @ 6:07 pm
locodog wrote :
gegenava wrote :
Best choice is Traktor s4mk3, but, unfortunately, it still doesn't have 100% working official mapping,

So not a good choice then.

It doesnt support haptic and screen yet, but sx or sz doesn't have it anyway, so it still a best choice. Besides, i hardly can called any 4-channel pioneer "portable". They all huge and heavy. Size of 4-channel S4mk3 = 2-channel Pioneer RR or SX2

Inviato Mon 06 May 19 @ 6:41 pm
gegenava wrote :
They all huge and heavy

I disagree. The SX3 is 6.1kg. That's half the weight of one of my small RCF310A speakers, which I can lift above my head.

The larger RZ is 10.7kg - still less weight than one small speaker.

Even the largest controllers are still lighter and smaller than a pair of turntables or CDJs and a mixer.

We have it easy now in the days of controllers. My previous setup (two Denon HS5500s and a Xone:92 in a coffin case) weighed 40kg but I still managed to carry it in and out of venues, lift it up onto a stand and even carry it up stairs.

If you can't manage to carry 6 or 10kg then I don't think you should be in the mobile DJ business!

[edit] I just checked. The size difference (in width) between the S4mk3 and the DDJ-SX3 is 12cm - a CD case.

Inviato Mon 06 May 19 @ 7:05 pm
Anyway 4.3 kg better than 6.1 right? And 55cm better than 67. It's not very big difference, but... About RZ - it's not obviuosly portable controller at all. If there, on the market is controller, that more than half the weight, and it has absolutely THE SAME options, and moreover, when full support comes out for S4, it will get working screens and haptic engine, (rz doesn't have it) what reason to buy RZ?)

Inviato Tue 07 May 19 @ 4:56 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
IF full support comes. Until that happens the S4mk2 is a better choice by several hundred £

Recommending an unsupported controller is never best advice, I say this as a S4mk1 user

Inviato Tue 07 May 19 @ 4:22 pm
gegenava wrote :
About RZ - it's not obviuosly portable

Yes it is. I carry mine around in its case. It doesn't need to be on wheels or a sack barrow. It's not heavy! It fits easily onto my DJ stand, with room to spare for a laptop.

I like it because it's "full size" like a standalone mixer and two CD/media players. That's why Pioneer released it. People wanted a controller that was the same size as a CDJ/DJM setup. I don't want something that compromises by squeezing all the controls into a small space.

Inviato Tue 07 May 19 @ 4:49 pm
It also depends if you will be working pubs / clubs and the size of DJ boxes they have.

Out of 10 or so venues I have worked in over the past couple of years my MCX8000 only actually fits in one of them.

Inviato Tue 07 May 19 @ 5:10 pm
I do have other options if they're needed. The SX2, a Reloop Mixtour, a pair of A&H 1D's, a Vestax VCM600 etc. etc.

Personally though, I've never encountered a DJ booth that small. Seems daft to me to call something a DJ booth if it can't accomodate two turntables and a mixer. :-)

Inviato Tue 07 May 19 @ 5:16 pm
Thanks again guys.

Gonna check out all of the above, and in turn cross reference the level of VDJ support (I want full support).

To put into context - I rarely play in front of people (mainly self doubt), but I'd like something to

1) allow me to practice with more hardware functionality
2) hopefully will push me harder and
3) for the (initial) rare occasion I play out being able to shift it around easier will help

Also, as I want this to last me personally for a long time, I'll be happy to invest in a decent amount.

Cheers!

Inviato Tue 07 May 19 @ 6:58 pm
Hutsy wrote :
Thanks again guys.

Gonna check out all of the above, and in turn cross reference the level of VDJ support (I want full support).

To put into context - I rarely play in front of people (mainly self doubt), but I'd like something to

1) allow me to practice with more hardware functionality
2) hopefully will push me harder and
3) for the (initial) rare occasion I play out being able to shift it around easier will help

Also, as I want this to last me personally for a long time, I'll be happy to invest in a decent amount.

Cheers!

If you don't need very compact and light model, think Pioneer DDJ1000 is best choice now.

Inviato Tue 07 May 19 @ 7:20 pm
Just by chance, the Numark NS6II has suddenly jumped out at me.

It's not too old (if I'm correct - about a year?) seemingly decent reviews from what I've seen so far and somewhat portable too.

Anyone happen to have thoughts on that also?

Heavily considered the Pioneers so they're not out the question but even though I won't be moving it often, I need to be mindful of space at home.

Inviato Tue 07 May 19 @ 7:57 pm
1st Denon MC7000 EASILY
2nd Numark NS6 MkII
3rd Pioneer SX3

I'd switch 2 and 3 if the Pioneer was a bit cheaper.

If you're used to CDJ's
Pioneer DDJ 1000

If I remember rightly, the Traktor S4 doesn't even have a dedicated MIC channel... BIG FAIL! Which was the same failing of the Pioneer SX range until the SX3.

Inviato Wed 08 May 19 @ 1:33 am
mitchiemasha wrote :

If I remember rightly, the Traktor S4 doesn't even have a dedicated MIC channel... BIG FAIL!.

What do you mean "dedicated"? There is 4 channel, 2 of them (C D)can be use for mic, one has jack, another XLR. And there is good quality, 3ch Eq, filter and any effect you want. I've cheked it with shure blx/sm 58 system.

Inviato Wed 08 May 19 @ 2:36 pm
Dedicated means having its own controls - not using one of the mixer channels.

I agree with you though. With a four channel mixer it isn't really necessary to have dedicated mic controls, as how often will someone need to use the mic at the same time as mixing four tracks together?

99% of the time, only one track will be playing. Sometimes it might be two (if the DJ can mix and talk at the same time).

Inviato Wed 08 May 19 @ 4:34 pm
I took the plunge and got the Numark - which arrived today.

Hoping to play around tomorrow!

Was super tempted by the Denon, but the Numark is smaller, apparently built exceptionally well and I think it will last me a number of years for sure!

Hope to get on with this really well and take myself to the next level.

My dear DDJ Ergo - I thank you. You are / were a good little unit and I'm glad we had our time together. You'll be missed :(

Inviato Fri 10 May 19 @ 8:53 pm
91%