Forum: General Discussion

About VirtualDJ and DJing in general

If you need extended support, contact our Support Team.
Forum Guidelines  (*) The moderators hold the rights to move or modify posts in order to keep the discussions clear or to facilitate the search.
Topic: RekordBox & VDJ Cue Points
Does anyone know if there is a way to import/export cue points from VDJ to Rekordbox or visa versa? And if not are there any plans to incorporate this feature in future VDJ updates?

I appreciate Rekordbox is different software but from my point of view I very rarely use a laptop when playing out - usually these days its USB sticks or as a last resort CD's, meaning all the cues I've added in my VDJ library have to be manually added into Rekordbox as well - not a difficult job but very time consuming !

Apologies if this has been asked before - can't find a thread if it has !

Inviato Thu 16 May 19 @ 7:31 pm
Bump !

Inviato Sat 01 Jun 19 @ 10:25 pm
not yet that i am aware

maybe rekord buddy some day

Inviato Sat 01 Jun 19 @ 10:41 pm
I think that's something you'll need to request from Pioneer.

It's typical though - Engine Prime is the same. It imports from Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox, iTunes.........but no VDJ. It's as if VDJ users don't exist.

I wouldn't wait around for Rekord Buddy. Things move v e r y s l o w l y over there. There's still no Windows version, let alone support for VDJ.

Inviato Sun 02 Jun 19 @ 8:16 am
Thanks for the replies guys - thought as much to be honest but worth asking the question - I don't fancy my chances at getting Pioneer to help out lol I may just have a look at the code if I get the time to see if it could be done - you never know !

Inviato Sun 02 Jun 19 @ 9:24 pm
This is definitely something that virtual should look into. Sometimes clubs don't have enough room for laptops and would be nice if the djs can export the files with wave form and, cue points and bpm all embedded in the file like record box does.

Inviato Fri 30 Aug 19 @ 1:14 pm
I have the same issue, hundreds of cue points in VDJ and zero in Rekordbox. A real heavy task to sync and maintain manually :-(.
Rekord Buddy software does not support VDJ so right now there is no workaround :-(
Hope someone can find or develop this feature.
Thanks

Inviato Thu 05 Sep 19 @ 8:23 pm
MrJackyPRO InfinityMember since 2015
With how easy it would be that you could save the hotcue in the tags of the audio files !!!!
virtualdj can read these cue and we know that some kind of software can save them

It is more complicated to save data such as save loops or hotcue action, but only the hotcue brands do not see what the problem is

Inviato Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 8:34 am
MrJacky wrote :
With how easy it would be that you could save the hotcue in the tags of the audio files !!!!
virtualdj can read these cue and we know that some kind of software can save them

It is more complicated to save data such as save loops or hotcue action, but only the hotcue brands do not see what the problem is

really explain to my how Atomix could profit by making is easier for you to switch to another software? They import others but they do not export just like the other software does. Its how they all retain customers.

Inviato Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 1:27 pm
I do not see what would be the problem of entering the hotcue in the audio file tags, I only see benefits.

The most important is that if the database is damaged, we would not lose the work we have done so far.

If you are afraid of losing customers because of this function, you can always be forced to have a license to save this data

Although I could import the virtualdj hotcue in tracktor, serato or recordbox, I would not change the software for anything ... I always liked more virtualdj

Inviato Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 7:10 am
VirtualDJ's hotcues can be read from the database. They are not encrypted or anything.
So if someone wants to read them it's VERY VERY easy.
What's "hard" is to convert them to be read by other software(s) since that other software(s) use closed & encrypted (proprietary) formats to store their hotcues on the tags.
So instead of blaming VirtualDJ, blame the others.

And no, saving cues on tags is a terrible idea... It means that your files tags get modified all the time. It means that your backup times would grow exponentially. And it means that either a file should be saved on the fly when you mix (making your hard drive busier) or during shut down (which means that VirtualDJ would need more time to close and in case of a crash you loose all the changes)

Inviato Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 7:25 am
Rekordbox Buddy (https://next.audio/) is an external software that helps to sync playlists, cue points and beat grids between Rekordbox, traktor and Serato. It would be great to add VDJ in a future release !

Inviato Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 2:29 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Still early days but there is, https://rekord.cloud/
Full disclosure I've been give access to beta test for them.
Full disclosure I haven't full tested to my satisfaction.
but it does have some nice features for tag editing.

Inviato Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 2:53 pm
This is the tool that may solve our issue : https://www.atgr.nl
Unfortunately it runs only on mac OS but can convert any windosw VDJ db to windows rekordbox library !
Just need to create a VM with mac OS now ...

Inviato Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 4:56 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
And no, saving cues on tags is a terrible idea... It means that your files tags get modified all the time. It means that your backup times would grow exponentially. And it means that either a file should be saved on the fly when you mix (making your hard drive busier) or during shut down (which means that VirtualDJ would need more time to close and in case of a crash you loose all the changes)

This explanation is much more reasonable.

Perhaps the most reasonable solution would be to save the information during the unload and provided that the user has activated the settings to save the tags automatically or a new option to save this information in the tags

I still think it would have its benefits

With the new SSD disk, saving a 15 or 20MB file is a matter of very little time

Inviato Tue 10 Sep 19 @ 8:25 am
Well the issue is not how much time it takes to save on a SSD.
The issue is how much times it takes to save over USB on a 4TB mechanical drive while at the same time you try to load a 400MB video file in RAM.
Also, since you mention SSD's there's a big difference between saving 200 files (per night) versus saving one file.
Not that modern SSD's wear out that easy as they used 5 years ago, but I'm just saying.

Anyway, the really important part of this conversation is that VirtualDJ hotcues are easily accessible by anyone.
So anyone with minimum programming skills can access them and do whatever he wants with them.

Inviato Tue 10 Sep 19 @ 8:36 am