Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Karaoke Gig Flow Feedback/Questions

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

gmediaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hey KJ's!
What do you do/use to streamline the process of singers picking their songs and then getting them queued up in VDJ?

I have used two tablets with the VDJ Karaoke subscription PDF on them, and had singers scrolling through them and using the acrobat "search" feature to search for keywords (artist, song title, etc.). They then sign a clipboard with their name, artist, and song title. I then take the clipboard and download their songs, etc.

It seems like there should be a more streamlined way to do this. I would really like there to be a singer-side app or even URL of some sort where they can select or type in their song info and name, and it create a queue in VDJ that you can approve or set to auto-approve if you want. If the song is not already found, you can download it or search with one-click. Probably a pipe dream, right?

a.
Other than the VDJ KJ subscription, what KJ pools do you use that works well with VDJ
b.
And is it majorly frowned on to get songs off of YouTube? I have had several instance where I could not find a song anywhere else, but it was on YouTube. I would gladly pay.

Thank you for your help!

Chris

Inviato Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 3:34 pm
gmedia wrote :
is it majorly frowned on to get songs off of YouTube?

It's illegal.

Inviato Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 4:29 pm
groovindj wrote :
gmedia wrote :
is it majorly frowned on to get songs off of YouTube?

It's illegal.

I hesitated to put anything about YouTube on there, because some people will ignore everything else I asked. Thank you for chiming in though.

Chris

Inviato Tue 15 Oct 19 @ 2:32 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
There are several providers of karaoke tracks for you to download and keep. I try to use Soundchoice over the rest.

After putting my library together I use Song List Creator from Karaosoft to build my book and then I upload it to SongbooksLive.com.
The client can search through my whole library on their phone, at home, etc.

Then, they can use ask.the.dj and request the song.

I also tell them, if they don’t want to do any of that, they can just come up and talk with me.

80% of the people come up and talk.

Inviato Tue 15 Oct 19 @ 3:28 pm
gmedia wrote :
[some people will ignore everything else I asked

Some people? You mean me?

I didn't ignore anything. You asked more than one question. I simply answered the one that stood out.

FYI I don't do karaoke.

Inviato Tue 15 Oct 19 @ 7:03 pm
groovindj wrote :
gmedia wrote :
[some people will ignore everything else I asked

Some people? You mean me?

I didn't ignore anything. You asked more than one question. I simply answered the one that stood out.

FYI I don't do karaoke.

Did you do that? Yes. :) I thanked you for chiming in :) It is a pet-peeve and trigger of mine unfortunately. I have to rely on support calls/emails/posts all day long for my day job. I number specific things I need to figure out from support, and they will give a canned answer for maybe one of them. It is possible I need counseling over it. Please tell me you relate. It would help my brain if you said "I don't do Karaoke, but I believe downloading from YouTube is Illegal." :)

Chris

Inviato Tue 15 Oct 19 @ 7:17 pm
gmedia wrote :
I believe downloading from YouTube is Illegal

No I won't say that, because it implies that I'm not sure. There's no grey area. You can't just do as you please with other people's copyrighted material.

I would've thought that anyone working as a DJ would be fully aware of basic copyright rules & regs.

Inviato Tue 15 Oct 19 @ 8:43 pm
groovindj wrote :
gmedia wrote :
I believe downloading from YouTube is Illegal

No I won't say that, because it implies that I'm not sure. There's no grey area. You can't just do as you please with other people's copyrighted material.

I would've thought that anyone working as a DJ would be fully aware of basic copyright rules & regs.

Friend, you may not know, but not everything on YouTube is copyrighted. Personally, I would not assume that every DJ knows anything particular. DJ's come from different backgrounds, countries, and on ramps into the DJ world. Thanks for your help!

Chris

Inviato Tue 15 Oct 19 @ 8:51 pm
blckjck wrote :
There are several providers of karaoke tracks for you to download and keep. I try to use Soundchoice over the rest.

After putting my library together I use Song List Creator from Karaosoft to build my book and then I upload it to SongbooksLive.com.
The client can search through my whole library on their phone, at home, etc.

Then, they can use ask.the.dj and request the song.

I also tell them, if they don’t want to do any of that, they can just come up and talk with me.

80% of the people come up and talk.

Good feedback! Thank you! I'm looking into the resources you've mentioned. I have never used Ask The DJ. I have used an SMS program for all requests, etc. I see that Ask The DJ has SMS integration and turns the request into a quick VDJ search though, nice!

I enjoy talking to people in general, but I find that it gets pretty distracting taking requests in person during any gig, but especially a karaoke gig. Generally we can't hear each other very well, it creates a traffic jam, they interfere with the person preforming, etc. I really like for the user/guest to do the leg work of picking their song, making sure it is available, and typing/writing out the artist and song name. My spelling is often terrible. If I can streamline some of the minutia stuff, I can be more social/available/friendly in other ways.

Sincerely,
Chris

Inviato Tue 15 Oct 19 @ 8:54 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
If you go the ask.the.dj route, make sure you set the options the way you want them. I turned the monitoring to always with an interval of 1 min.

Also, mapping a button on the screen or on your controller to flash when there is an unread ask.the.dj is helpful. The small indication in the browser is easy to miss.

get_askthedj_unread ? blink

Inviato Wed 16 Oct 19 @ 12:33 am
blckjck wrote :
If you go the ask.the.dj route, make sure you set the options the way you want them. I turned the monitoring to always with an interval of 1 min.

Also, mapping a button on the screen or on your controller to flash when there is an unread ask.the.dj is helpful. The small indication in the browser is easy to miss.

get_askthedj_unread ? blink

Nice! I appreciate that! I did drag the folder out of the "Lists & Advice" section to a more noticeable "Favorite" position.

I'll have to figure out how to map that on the DDJ1000. Thanks!

I have been using TellyVisuals for text requests, but looking in to ATDJ now.

Chris

Inviato Wed 16 Oct 19 @ 2:32 am
Any other KJ's want to chime in and help a brother out?

Chris

Inviato Thu 17 Oct 19 @ 8:47 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)