Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: nas / playlist / browsing...

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

greetings all. i've been a long time fan of virtuadj, particularly due to its handling of music videos (my preference). prior to version 2021 i was using 7.4. i've always used a nas drive (connected to my router) as my main storage device - wirelessly i might add - with external usb drives for backup and portability (and files synced to all units). i recently upgraded my laptop so decided to (finally) try the new version thus i installed 2021 and imported and re-indexed my xml database. reading playlists on version 7 was almost instantaneous i.e. i click on a playlist and it would be very quickly displayed/listed in the browser area. with 2021 when i click on a preferred playlist, depending on the content/number of files/videos (for example one that hosts over 6000 videos) it would take up to one minute of "browsing" before it shows me the contents. i am pretty sure it's due to the fact that these files are on the wirelessly accessed nas drive, because when i connect one of my backup usb storage units to my laptop, access is a fraction of the abovementioned time. i know (think) the new software keeps track of files via the xml database(s) stored in the \virtualdj folder of each device. version 7 kept one 'universal' xml database and as far as i could tell, efficiently made use of it. it seems as if every single time the playlist folder is selected, it re-reads the list of files - not as i would think, the database already in memory. any suggestions as to why it is like that or am i confirming what i wrote re: wireless access, and any ways to 'fix' it?

Inviato Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 2:04 pm
what columns are you displaying in the browser window

Inviato Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 2:07 pm
artist / title / length / bpm

where're my manners? apologies. thanks for the reply.

Inviato Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 2:09 pm
I had the same problem when I recently upgraded my laptop, and the fix was remapping the network drive to the same drive letter as it previously was.

Inviato Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 6:54 pm
Also if you changed the name of the volume when initially mapping the network drive on your old laptop, it will have to be the same name as well.

Edit.

Also depending on the type of network attached storage device you are using, you may need to go into your Windows optional features and turn on samba network sharing

Inviato Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 6:55 pm
thanks for the reply. the network names (drive letter, volume, etc) are all the same as previously - i ensure that so i can swap out the nas drive with one of the backup drives (for portability i.e. using my laptop away from home). i will look into the "samba" option. i have a western digital mycloud 4tb nas.

Inviato Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 7:22 pm
wonder if it has to do with computing the new stems

Inviato Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 7:51 pm
i am hoping it's an issue with the software (no offense to atomix), and will be sorted out when another update comes through the pipeline.

Inviato Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 8:39 pm
wickedmix wrote :
wonder if it has to do with computing the new stems

as for stems computing, i don't think so. stems are read after the playlist is "browsed", a track is selected, and then placed on a deck... and that is if you have the stem computing option on/available.

Inviato Fri 03 Jul 20 @ 1:34 am
update: i connected my desktop computer (because my laptop ethernet card/component decided to f##k up) physically to the router via a network cable and am getting basically the same results... slow browser playlist load. currently scouring the web to gain some insight into network bottlenecks and ways to increase transfer speeds and efficiency.

Inviato Sun 05 Jul 20 @ 3:21 am
I have the exact same setup, only I'm using a 2tb and a 3tb MyCloud. You need to make sure in your mycloud settings page that you have network place/samba enabled(and the legacy version 2.0 I think), windows master browser and workgroup disabkled, and the network settings are set to static IP, and your router is set to associate the NAS with the selected IP address. Make sure all other crap on the NAS settings portal is off, SSH, Time Machine, etc(these use up clock cycles on an already taxed cpu), and that the "shares" (folders) on the Nas you want to access are set to public or guest access, you can leave them assigned to your main admin user as well just add the guest logon option to prevent having to provide credentials upon connection. In windows activate the Samba client functions in optional features, after which you will see the drive appear in windows explorer under network, as a shared volume instead of the Twonky media server BS, and the WD device that only takes you to the settings page of the NAS.

Another feature I have made full use of is the built in FTP server on the NAS. I use NOIP through my router to allow WAN access via FTP to my home network even though I have a dynamic WAN address, then forward the FTP traffic to the NAS with my music and videos on it. Then you map the FTP server as a drive letter in windows and voila not only does it autoconnect with GB speed on your local network, but you can also browse your NAS sitting on your desk at home, while you're out p[laying gigs(as long as you have a decent wifi connection at the gig)

Link detailing samba client activation on Win 10 https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/

EDIT:

After completing these steps you can also ditch ALL the WD software on your laptop. No need to use their convoluted system once you have a samba and or FTP direct connection.

Inviato Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 9:17 pm
thank you for your reply, and detailed configuration settings. as it is, i had already decided to and switched the 'main' storage from my nas drive to my external usb portable storage (backing up that now main usb drive to my nas and dual 2tb storage device pool i.e. 4tb). that configuration enables me to transport the portable drive if and when i need to play away from home ... you know, sometime in 2022 or so.

Inviato Fri 24 Jul 20 @ 1:39 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)