Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Does VDJ have to be in the C drive?
I'm in the process of moving certain programs off the C Drive and just leaving the very few programs that give you no choice, is VDJ one of them?, can I instead have it on the same drive as all my music (D) drive?

Inviato Sun 22 Nov 20 @ 8:59 pm
You can have it on any drive. You can change the home folder location in the registry.

I have my VDJ files and folders on D drive with my music and it's been like that for years with no issues whatsoever.

Inviato Sun 22 Nov 20 @ 9:42 pm

Inviato Sun 22 Nov 20 @ 9:55 pm
Thank you

Inviato Sun 22 Nov 20 @ 9:56 pm
(Brain Fade is real).OK, I've tried 5 times to move and install VDJ on the same drive as where my music is by cutting and pasting from the document's folder to the music folder on drive M:, I've also changed it's registry from documents to drive M:. When I start VDJ it assumes it's a new installation which loads the default easy skin, some of my virtual and filter folders and nothing else. Do I have to completely uninstall VDJ first (but make a back-up first) then reinstall to my M drive and then restore the original back-up to it?.... I'm confused to how this works, as I can easily move other programs to different drives, and they as work as intended.

Inviato Sun 19 Dec 21 @ 6:07 pm
Ok.
Here's a more detailed explanation on what you should be aware:

There are 2 different "folders" / "things" you need to consider.
The installation folder (the folder that virtualdj.exe itself sits into) and the "home" folder that's the folder that holds all VirtualDJ settings, database, skins, mappers .e.t.c.

Now assuming that you want to move VirtualDJ to drive "M" do the following:
1) Create a folder on M named "VirtualDJ App"
2) Move the contents of "C:\Program Files\VirtualDJ" inside the "M:\VirtualDJ App" folder
3) Create a folder on M named "VirtualDJ Home"
4) Move the contents of "Documents\VirtualDJ" folder inside the "M:\VirtualDJ Home" folder
5) Update the registry HKCU\Software\VirtualDJ
Set keys:
HomeFolder =M:\VirtualDJ Home
RunFolder=M:\VirtualDJ App\
RunFolder64=M:\VirtualDJ App\
6) Create a shortcut to the new executable on your desktop and enjoy...

PS: You should also be aware of these things:
A) DON'T use "M:\VirtualDJ" folder as the installation or home path directory. M:\VirtualDJ is a "special" folder for VirtualDJ that expects to find and write certain files there.
B) If a "M:\VirtualDJ" folder already exists and has a database.xml file inside it, it's ok. DON'T mess with it, nor delete it.
C) If you start VirtualDJ and you find that it saves your settings, and generally behaves as it should but most or all tracks are shown as new, then (AND ONLY THEN) you should do the following:
Close VirtualDJ, go inside the "VirtualDJ Home" folder and rename "database.xml" to "database_old.xml"
Then copy the "database.xml" file from "M:\VirtualDJ" folder inside the "M:\VirtualDJ Home" folder
Now the tracks should appear fine.

In any case, before doing anything, I would advise you to backup your current installation and mainly your databases (database.xml files)

Inviato Mon 20 Dec 21 @ 11:02 am
Almost a year later......
Just realised I never said thank you for these clear instructions. Thank You

Inviato Fri 18 Nov 22 @ 4:49 pm