Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: whats better 32bit or 64bit in 2021 for vdj? - Page: 1
i read some old posts back in 2008 or so that 32 bit was better but can only handle up to 4gb of ram

but i noticed some of the pluggins i used to use dont work in the current version of vdj.. which i found defaults at 64bit.. and i just found link to get same build but 2020 32 bit version so i can re use like showlogo milkdrop what not..

but in 2021 whats better? 32 bit or 64bit? does one run stable better... is it limited to 4gb of ram? and if so when do you use more then 4gb of ram in vdj.. is it for sorting/browsing issues i found i have if i use file folder,file date for browsing.. that you need more then 4gb of ram

just curious which version i should stick with.. as i just downgraded to get like showlogo to work as there is no 64bit version..

just curious if there is an performance improvements or not really
as i read vdj is really just 32bit from older posts

Inviato Mon 04 Oct 21 @ 8:38 pm
64bit is generally faster and better for video.

32bit has no stems and isn't getting updated any more.

If you have legacy plugins then stick with the old version but you will not get any up to date versions

Inviato Mon 04 Oct 21 @ 8:39 pm
there are alternatives to some of the plugins (and we're still limited to the 32bit ones at the club till the computer dies apparently... cheap owners so still using dinosaur win7 computer) but for Showlogo - you can just drop a logo - video or static image - into the sampler and put it anywhere on screen and resize it to your liking with transparency to boot.

and there is of course that performance boost you get from using the 64bit 2021 to take into account

Inviato Tue 05 Oct 21 @ 12:47 am
ah ok.. i wonder why they havent updated like milkdrop and showlogo... i liked how show logo worked with the transparancy the 3 different knobs... i did get that image with the sampler buttons but i didnt get it resized just full screen.. and i also finding i struggling getting scripting to work i struggling cuz its not 100% working for short cut keys i used with Auto Hot Keys.. and i can crash the video screen... i really need a scripting for dummies or like discord sever where ppl help u on the fly...

like i been running 64 bit since last year.. i had reinstalled it.. but since my area clubs are starting to open i had reinstalled virtual dj and i didnt notice there is no show logo or milkdrop... as for show logo i copied that 3 times renamed it so i could have 3 different logos running.. and worked great..
but i figured down grade now.. but then read old articles they said its all 32 bit.. 64 bit is for gamers ...

so i figured id ask.. as i use like the super hereo video dances plugins and such and that works for 64 bit..
and to be honest i dont really know what stems are

when i work bar.. i not those night clubs that play house trance techno

i play from 80s to today country reggae house pop techno rnb hiphop.. i cover many genres so i dont use alot of those fancy stuff as my bpm fluxuate in an evening too..

so i never played with stems.. or the sand box etc....

ya what performance boost you get wtih the 64 bit over the 32 bit

Inviato Tue 05 Oct 21 @ 2:36 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
milkdrop is SBDJ's project, you can get a x64 version from his site.
showlogo, not sure if that was one of Scott's too. But from what I gather it's redundant now with what can be done natively with vdj.

I posted ScriptSchool thread trying to explain script simply but also as joined up thinking.
I recently setup a discord too.
https://discord.gg/eKCMsNG48t

x64 scanning is quicker, skins are sharper [I can tell x64 just by looking at the GUI], video is clearer, video handles higher definitions better, plus x86 isn't updated anymore [excluding serious critical hotfixes] no new script actions or features, no new hardware support, no QoL tweaks.
I haven't touched x86 in over 2 years.

Inviato Tue 05 Oct 21 @ 3:34 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
milkdrop exists as a beta , showlogo...

scripting for dummies (or other) a good start https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/223743/General_Discussion/Script_School.html

stems are the ability to split songs in various musical elements and remix them
kick bass instru vocal hihat can be eared or muted separately or level adjusted

Performance boost is a an urban legend, may even be the opposite depending on systems

Inviato Tue 05 Oct 21 @ 3:34 am
ah ok so i should go back to 64 then i got both installed
and locodog helping me in the other topic i have.. and the code i did is not 100% working.. i can screw it up.. and then i asked for a request for a effect feature since scripts are missing 1.. i suggested for a if a an fx is already playing. keep it on.. not toggle it.. and when you shut off it shuts off.. right now it doesnt.. plus gonna post my codes in there and i think i found a bug for video_fx_clear

ill check out othe discord.. i have it.. and and ill check out the script school
i was reading.. https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJscript_verbs_v8_p2.html but i was getting annoyed with it.. wish there was drop down boxs and was simpler but thats me.. too much over head for programmers i bet anyways

the only reason i thought 32 bit still around i saw that the build numbers were the same 6677 or whatever hte number is.. but i can go back to 64..

ah so stems basiclly strips a song into different sections like vocals bass treble kinda thing?

you mention show logo redundant .. where is it native in vdj ..as it has the regular logo the plain.. but i dont see one where you can drag it anywhere on the screen.. set the transparancy and the 2 other options it had.. plus i was able to copy and past it a couple times and renamed it so i could have 3-4 show logos... so i could turn any of them on 1 at a time or all 4 at same time.. how do you do it natively with vdj

but i gonna post my scripts i having issues with on my other topic.. i kinda getting frustrated cuz it kinda works but if you choose a different shader or fx it will bugger up the screen or i had 1 video showing from deck 1 to the other deck
so i get frustrated... but ill post there tomorrow..

so i guess ill stick with 64 then...

Inviato Tue 05 Oct 21 @ 3:48 am
I recently created some videoskin for scriptable moving logo (they need some fixes and improvements)
I just added transparency to them, nice idea
Could now be controlled with 2d pad using mouse for position and roller for transparency from a dedicated skin or simply using global variables

stems do really extract rhythm or melody or acapella or bass line instead of low mid high frequencies
these are not simple equalizer but far most powerful tool

copy and past to get a couple times same FX can already be done but with third part plugins only

badly this is not possible with videoskins and so they have to be written specially for multiple instances

almost nothing complex is impossible with VDJ
>:'} only some basic things do not work as expected and may need complex workarounds LoL
so that don't worry, pretty sure your issues may be fix - specially with locodog when playing with multiple video fx and shaders

Inviato Tue 05 Oct 21 @ 7:23 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
By far the easiest way if you need multiple logos at various positions and transparencies would be to add them to the sampler and toggle them there or write a simple script to toggle them

Inviato Tue 05 Oct 21 @ 8:12 am
yes and make them adjustable in position and on screen on the fly with my "resize" plugin in sampler slot
Just tested this is working

Edit: fun, resize and cropZoom and reshape (un released) plugins in sampler apply to home user logo as well

bad capture examples : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnSOFuC3eKrugzLax5LmgqNk83cT?e=hg3SjG

Inviato Tue 05 Oct 21 @ 8:26 am
Ignore the 32 bit haters. 32 bit is fantastic and stable: did I say stable? yeah.. stable. 64 bit is NOT STABLE, even today 2 years later it is not 100% reliable in a gig. 32 bit will run and run and run, and will almost never have an issue. If you are like me and sick of the rollercoaster with 64 bit, use 32 and never worry again about your reputation as a dj.
After crashing many times with 3 laptops of different makes and models, all gaming laptops less than 2 years old, I dropped that 64 sh*t like a hot potato before my reputation was destroyed as a large venue party dj.

Inviato Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 1:34 pm
Yeah whatever. Been following you for a while. You have problems with pretty much everything without considering it might be you?

No issues with 64bit and I'm every bit as busy a video party DJ as u you.

Inviato Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 4:00 pm
All the stuff I write now works in 32 or 64 bit and all runs pretty much identical. 64 bit adds some instructions that are faster but that is negated because now every memory access is 64 bit instead of 32 bit. A program spends much of it's time accessing memory. Making a program run in either 32 or 64 bit is pretty easy. I need to support 32 bit because others use my underlying code. But pretty much a no brainer anyway. 64 bit gives a program a larger address space.

The issue with VDJ 64 bit is they are using DirectX 11 instead of DirectX 9. DX11 is much different than DX9. I could see it was going to be a task. But a good thing since it forced me to create a library of code that only deals with various graphics interfaces. It now supports DX9, DX9Ex, DX11, and OpenGL. An application doesn't really care which one except when e,g. in the case of VDJ you have to conform to whatever it is using. I call this library DisplayDevice. From the apps point of view is all the same thing except a few special cases. DX11 can not model DX9 but DX9 and DX9Ex can model DX11. So now that part is about as close as you can get to being about the same thing. They should have used DX9Ex for VDJ8 because DX9 had some limitations that you cannot work around. I did a post about this which was ignored and they spent about a year trying to do something with DX9 that cannot work. It is still broken today. Using DX9Ex instead of DX9 is really simple. There are just a few things to watch for which are easy. I could have told them this but hey you can;t make the horse drink can you.

So it's a major change using DX11. Anything blurry or speed improvements have nothing to with 64 bit. Most likely fixes made when they did the port.

After doing the DisplayDevice library I plugged it into the existing TM and TV. They run as 32 or 64 bit and can use DX9 or DX11. I put these up as betas. I have not updated them in quite awhile. I removed the ChromaKey from TM for this version. When I did it quite awhile ago I new it was not what I wanted but there was the problem of display cards back then and more and also would take a lot of time to do a good version of that. So now I have a new ChromaKey which is quick, good, and easy to use. That's what you want for on the fly stuff. The more advanced ChromaKey code takes a lot of input from you the user and not something most of you would be inclined to do. I have spent a lot of time working are various things to reach a goal.

I knew what I wanted to do many years ago. I knew if I did this I would be poor and have to work very hard for almost no money. I am not here to do simple plugins. I stayed because VDJ is a good platform that meets my needs for certain things. There is also a large client base. Perfect ! Except at times VDJ has been a royal pain in the ass not to mention the abuse I have taken for trying to help :) But since I was here anyway I could help but they don't want it even though it would be good. I don't really get Atomix. Makes no sense to me.

So I have been wanting to get rid of TM and TV for many years. They became tools to build a better app / plugin. I have updated them periodically but not really the way I want. I have a lot of new stuff. Years ago me and a couple of the DJs came up with some ideas on what could happen. I have a good imagination and knew it could be outstanding. Several months ago I was able to create a sample app that could show what that knew stuff could do. It was better than I had imagined it to be. Some people have complained about me not updating them in quite awhile. They think I have given up. No way. This is the last thing I will work on in my life and I am not taking short cuts. I don't know when I will have the new stuff ready.

You guys talk about limping alone with weak plugins for displaying logos. TellyMedia has always been able to display image and video logos anywhere on the screen. I guess the new advanced thing for others is to have more control over size, position, etc. Geeze, TM can be automated to display a single image or video or play up to 72 images or videos. It will do this in sequence or randomly. Always had size, position, and transparency control. TV can do fancy logos too but currently does not do video. TM and TV are being combined. It will be called TellyVisuals. TellyMedia will go away. I still work my ass off every day. I like doing it. With the new stuff logos can fly around. Everything can fly around and do stuff autonomously. I captured VDJ and made the interface fly around too :)

Inviato Sat 23 Oct 21 @ 1:13 am
gabycorreaPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2010
It's good to read you again Don, welcome !!!!
I still use TM it is wonderful !! my parties start again and I will continue using TM!!

Inviato Sat 23 Oct 21 @ 9:25 am
DJ M.C. Pimpin wrote :
ah ok.. i wonder why they havent updated like milkdrop and showlogo... i liked how show logo worked with the transparancy the 3 different knobs... i did get that image with the sampler buttons but i didnt get it resized just full screen.. and i also finding i struggling getting scripting to work i struggling cuz its not 100% working for short cut keys i used with Auto Hot Keys.. and i can crash the video screen... i really need a scripting for dummies or like discord sever where ppl help u on the fly...

like i been running 64 bit since last year.. i had reinstalled it.. but since my area clubs are starting to open i had reinstalled virtual dj and i didnt notice there is no show logo or milkdrop... as for show logo i copied that 3 times renamed it so i could have 3 different logos running.. and worked great..
but i figured down grade now.. but then read old articles they said its all 32 bit.. 64 bit is for gamers ...

so i figured id ask.. as i use like the super hereo video dances plugins and such and that works for 64 bit..
and to be honest i dont really know what stems are

when i work bar.. i not those night clubs that play house trance techno

i play from 80s to today country reggae house pop techno rnb hiphop.. i cover many genres so i dont use alot of those fancy stuff as my bpm fluxuate in an evening too..

so i never played with stems.. or the sand box etc....

ya what performance boost you get wtih the 64 bit over the 32 bit

you said (you dont know what stems are) bro its not that hard to go utube sir :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrrz35OY-r8

Inviato Sat 23 Oct 21 @ 12:55 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Yeah whatever. Been following you for a while. You have problems with pretty much everything without considering it might be you?

No issues with 64bit and I'm every bit as busy a video party DJ as u you.

\
Ya whatever know it all, with a touch of idgaf.

Inviato Sat 23 Oct 21 @ 7:21 pm
Just played that about 10 minutes ago. Spooky.

Inviato Sat 23 Oct 21 @ 10:08 pm
gabycorrea wrote :
It's good to read you again Don, welcome !!!!
I still use TM it is wonderful !! my parties start again and I will continue using TM!!

Good to hear from you Gaby :)

Best wishes to you always my friend.

Inviato Sat 23 Oct 21 @ 10:51 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Great Don !
Thank you for pushing things forward, what is vdj using videos without TV and TM ;)

Inviato Sun 24 Oct 21 @ 10:10 am
ah ok long reply i see and good info..

i guess since its a pain to really write it to fo 64 bit youd have to do a whole re write.. i dont know how its all complicated etc.. like if 32bit wasnt around then all you know is 64 bit.. but thats ok... i just got used to the apps logo one...

you mentioned TellyMedia and TellyVisual.. never knew about that program.. i only knew Logo from late in vdj7 and early 8

so ill look into this Telly Media when i get a chance

and as for stems.. ya i ment i didnt know what stems are as it was brought up in a reply.. and i have never persued it...,... but ill defently check out the link too

all good info (:

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 21 @ 2:42 am
95%