Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Problem in Win2000 - IRQ sharing slows down speed!!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This is not a problem of AtomixMP3, but it is important for anyone to know, who wants to upgrade to Win2000.

In Win2000, there is no way to change IRQ settings if the board supports ACPI. This could be a problem, if you have a lot of PCI cards in your system because Win2000 then sets almost all cards on one IRQ and let them share this. This can slow down your system speed!

My system for example:
I have installed a SCSI card to which are connected two HDD´s, two CD-ROM´s and a scanner. Then a AGP graphics card, a ISDN card and SB Live. These cards are sharing IRQ 11 with the two USB ports on the board. So I have the problem, if I work with AtomixMP3, the HDD´s, the CD´s, the SB Live and the graphics card are all working on IRQ 11!

The only solution seems to be to disable the ACPI in the BIOS before installing Win2000.

In the system setting and in the BIOS are no possibilities (or they take no effect) to change the IRQ´s.

If anybody knows any solution to change them after installing the system, please post it here!! My AMD 1GHz can not run 10% of his power, because the system itself is too slow!

mama

Inviato Thu 29 Mar 01 @ 7:43 pm
cTigerHome userMember since 2001
my w2k sometimes freezes, could it be therefore?

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 01 @ 12:37 am
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If your CPU is quite slow, it could depend on it. As I read at microsofts HP, W2k is designed for maximum hardware performance. Sharing IRQ needs a lot of system power, so it could be the reason.

If you can´t change IRQ settings in the hardware manager and you use a ACPI board, you have to think about reinstalling W2k with ACPI disabled before.

But first try a repair of W2k (Install menu) and try to disable all cards and enable them one after the other to find the wrong card.

mama

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 01 @ 7:36 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)