Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Save changes to sidelist, automix and karaoke lists as they occur
djdonnPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've had an issue where sometimes VDJ randomly crashes. When it does, any additions, changes or deletions to sidelist, automix or karaoke lists are lost. I know they're saved when VDJ is closed normally, but not when it crashes.

I just lost over an hour of creating a playlist after VDJ crashed. Not sure anyone has an answer for me, but shouldn't those lists write (or save) to the OS as soon as they're changed to prevent this kind of loss?

Inviato Tue 31 Aug 21 @ 9:07 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
There are many things lost just because of a crash.
Specially when crash guard restarts VDJ it's most of the time without database access or in read only mode
all sideview lists, all effects, all levels, all skin settings are missing and windows position auto fit at start modifies all windows size and positions, missing effects GUIs
Sure there are things needed in a way to prevent all of this kind of loss ^^

for playists I always save them from time to time and use "save_config" before to use them
this only minimize impact of common crashes (and spurious freezes recently)

Inviato Tue 31 Aug 21 @ 9:45 pm
djdonn wrote :
I've had an issue where sometimes VDJ randomly crashes. When it does, any additions, changes or deletions to sidelist, automix or karaoke lists are lost. I know they're saved when VDJ is closed normally, but not when it crashes.

I just lost over an hour of creating a playlist after VDJ crashed. Not sure anyone has an answer for me, but shouldn't those lists write (or save) to the OS as soon as they're changed to prevent this kind of loss?

Hello,
maybe the history list survives the crash, only as you have been playing the songs.

https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/interface/database/history.html

Inviato Wed 01 Sep 21 @ 11:19 am
Danny Hermans wrote :
djdonn wrote :

Hello,
maybe the history list survives the crash, only as you have been playing the songs.

https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/interface/database/history.html

Unfortunately, these were unplayed songs that were in the automix list. When I restarted VDJ, only the songs that were in the list when I first started the session were there. It was missing probably 60 songs I'd added.

Inviato Wed 01 Sep 21 @ 12:52 pm
Nicotux wrote :
There are many things lost just because of a crash.
Specially when crash guard restarts VDJ it's most of the time without database access or in read only mode
all sideview lists, all effects, all levels, all skin settings are missing and windows position auto fit at start modifies all windows size and positions, missing effects GUIs
Sure there are things needed in a way to prevent all of this kind of loss ^^

for playists I always save them from time to time and use "save_config" before to use them
this only minimize impact of common crashes (and spurious freezes recently)

Will save_config save what's currently in the sidelist, automix and karaoke lists? If yes, then I'd likely set up a script file to automatically run save_config every 30 seconds or minute while I'm in my ''practice' mode (security off, play count set to 500 seconds so it doesn't increase the play count etc) if that's possible.

Inviato Wed 01 Sep 21 @ 12:56 pm
If you're not running a beta version then VDJ shouldn't be crashing. That's what I would try and solve first.

Inviato Wed 01 Sep 21 @ 1:23 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
If you're not running a beta version then VDJ shouldn't be crashing. That's what I would try and solve first.

Not running a beta version. It's also licensed. It only happens on my desktop. Never on my laptops. I do most of my setup work on my desktop then sync files to my laptop.

Inviato Wed 01 Sep 21 @ 7:24 pm
If its connected to the Internet then Atomix should pick up the crash logs

Inviato Wed 01 Sep 21 @ 7:34 pm
Thank you Nicotux for the tip. I created a custom button per your post above, "save_config" since I have lost much work when VDJ crashes.

VDJ only misbehaves for me when I am recording samples with both Stems and EQs set.. (and maybe Gain, I have, not tested completely, for Gain)

Reported this issue, in early March:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/240065/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/VDJ_Cannot_record_sample_with_Both_Stems_and_EQ_on.html

I will now will Save/write the VDJ configuration, to disk before I attempt recording a sample with both stems and EQ adjusted.

And this does not affect a show, since not recording samples then, so the crashes for me only occur during setup/prep times.

Again thanks.

PS @DJDONN.. is there any particular activity you are doing before a crash.

Inviato Wed 01 Sep 21 @ 8:21 pm