Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Guitar Amp to SX2?
Can I hook up a guitar amp to play through my Pioneer SX2? I figured I could just use a SX2 mic input to a 1/4" plug from the guitar amp. But after some research I heard that may not work well because of low level and hi level. Its only for a best man to play 1 song for a wedding dance. TBH I have never done it. Is it even possible or applicable?

Thanks

I never use inputs other than a mic. I just hook the mac up, the XLR L & R for the speakers and rock.

Inviato Mon 20 Sep 21 @ 11:07 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Wouldn't sound good, could blow your mic preamp.
Bit of dangerous game to consider without some sort of rig protection anyway, would you be fine with me just plugging my phone in? If something goes pop that's the gig over.

Inviato Mon 20 Sep 21 @ 11:34 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002

Inviato Tue 21 Sep 21 @ 4:31 am
You should get a cheap passive D.I. box if that's something you're going to do only once.
Then you can use the MIC input to connect the Guitar amp.

D.I. box -> Direct Injection Box
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit

Inviato Tue 21 Sep 21 @ 6:31 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
If you like to get microphones and other instruments in the future you should go with my suggestion, but using a D.I Box is a great way to go with aswell with groundlifting function, or do both ;)

Inviato Tue 21 Sep 21 @ 3:28 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Or mic up his amp

Inviato Tue 21 Sep 21 @ 5:03 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
mic input won't work fine and can be dangerous

but alternatively If its for a one shot and guitar amp have a fx send or a link jackoutput it can directly plug in CD RCA because levels are similar mostly -10 dB @ 1V max aka -10 dBV

just need a 1/4" jack mono => rca adapter and a mono setup for line in in this case
https://tinyurl.com/yk6usaws
or stereo jack adapter like this https://tinyurl.com/2yhnzfkf

Inviato Tue 21 Sep 21 @ 5:45 pm
Nicotux wrote :
mic input won't work fine and can be dangerous

MIC input won't work directly, yes, but I fail to see why it won't work (or is dangerous) with a solution such as the D.I. box proposed above ?
A D.I. does just that.. converts the line level (high level) unbalanced signal to mic level (low level) balanced signal.
D.I.'s are used all the time in mixing consoles/desks to connect high level instruments on their MIC ports.
In fact, even if a mixing console has "LINE" inputs, D.I.'s are still the preferred method to connect an instrument on them since the signal is converted to balanced and travels most distance from the instrument to the console/desk (usually via snake cables) as balanced.
The only difference (in the professional stage/PA world) is that D.I. boxes are usually active ones getting their power via phantom power (+48V) from the mixing console/desk.
A passive D.I. does not require any power to work.
In general active D.I's are better, and models that can run via a simple 9V battery instead of phantom power do exist as well. They just cost more.
So, why exactly such a solution won't work or is dangerous ?

Inviato Tue 21 Sep 21 @ 9:39 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
of course yes,this is directly that can be dangerous
other solution will do
didn't imagine this precision could be needed as it was already explain above ^^

Inviato Tue 21 Sep 21 @ 10:37 pm