Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Possible to output sound through external USB sound card instead of a Pioneer controller?
mschueyHome userMember since 2022
I'm about to purchase a Pioneer controller to use with VDJ, but would like to be able to output the sound through an external USB sound card hooked up to my laptop because I expect the sound quality to be better than the output from the Pioneer controller. But I'm wondering if it's possible, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Inviato Wed 03 Aug 22 @ 6:51 pm
it will work but you will need a software license

Inviato Wed 03 Aug 22 @ 7:17 pm
user25662979 wrote :
I expect the sound quality to be better

Why is that?

Which Pioneer unit are you planning to buy? Which audio interface?

Surely it would be better to get the Pioneer unit first and have a listen to it.

Inviato Wed 03 Aug 22 @ 7:26 pm
mschueyHome userMember since 2022
I'm debating between the DDJ 400 or the FLX6, and yes, I certainly will plug them both in to test them out. But my thought was that my external sound card output is 5.1, which would coincide with my home stereo system, but I'm now realizing that if the music is encoded in 2 channels (left / right), it really doesn't make a difference.

To that end, if you have a suggestion for either the 400 or the FLX6, let me know. I don't have the ability to try them out before I buy one of them, and who knows whether the reviews I read online are legit or not.

Inviato Fri 05 Aug 22 @ 2:05 am
Ah, so you're not talking about using a professional audio interface - just a consumer/domestic unit.

In that case, the quality will be higher from either of the Pioneer units. There's quite a big price difference between the DDJ-400 and FLX6. Also a difference in size and channel count.

My personal recommendation would be to go for the FLX6. Larger jogs and more channels.

Inviato Fri 05 Aug 22 @ 8:44 am
Yes you can.
I often combine an old Traktor Audio2 or a Focusrite scarlett 6i6 with different controllers
It's often simply because they are already setup and connected to the laptop at my desk at home
So I just put a controller on the desk, connect it, and use only the MIDI/HID part of it, combined with the soundcard that is already connected to the laptop and studio monitors

Inviato Fri 05 Aug 22 @ 9:32 am