Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is it possible to have 2 laptops where one follows the other one in case a laptop breaks down?
I am trying to figure out how to link the automix playlist of 2 laptops together. I would need the automix playlist to sync in both directions, from laptop A to laptop B and from laptop B to laptop A - so if I make a change on either laptop A or laptop B then the change is reflected in the automix on the other laptop. That way, if either laptop crashes, I can switch the channel over on the mixer and reboot the laptop that crashed. As an alternative, I could settle for just having the second laptop sync the automix list and then I would have to manually start the track on the second laptop when the first laptop fails.

Inviato Mon 19 Sep 22 @ 7:51 pm
LIMOLPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Inviato Mon 19 Sep 22 @ 7:58 pm
Laptops shouldn't crash, and if they do you shouldn't be using them for gigs.

Inviato Mon 19 Sep 22 @ 8:32 pm
You can't (easily) sync playlists between 2 laptops live.

Also the way most of us do it, is that we have the second laptop at "stand by" (just open and not in sync with the other)
If anything goes wrong with the main one we can start playing by the second one. Sure, you may not have the latest "changes" you made on your playlists, but you're still a DJ that can play tracks even if they are not part of a playlist.

PS: Personally when I use a second laptop (I rarely do the last few years) I just have a playlist open on the second laptop with 5 to 10 different tracks suited for different situations and genres.
The idea is that in case something goes wrong with main system I can pick up a song on the second system quite quickly (without having to scroll among dozens of playlists & tracks) and then restart/reboot the main. If the main still fails then (and only then) I can (and will) keep playing from the backup/stand by system.
I'm not saying that's the perfect way of doing things. That's just how I do it.

Inviato Mon 19 Sep 22 @ 10:36 pm
Yeah, that's basically how me and all the other DJs are currently doing it. I agree that laptops shouldn't crash but sometimes life has different expectations.

Inviato Tue 20 Sep 22 @ 5:32 pm
Sabelotodo wrote :
I am trying to figure out how to link the automix playlist of 2 laptops together. I would need the automix playlist to sync in both directions, from laptop A to laptop B and from laptop B to laptop A - so if I make a change on either laptop A or laptop B then the change is reflected in the automix on the other laptop. That way, if either laptop crashes, I can switch the channel over on the mixer and reboot the laptop that crashed. As an alternative, I could settle for just having the second laptop sync the automix list and then I would have to manually start the track on the second laptop when the first laptop fails.

It sounds like you are attempting to use automix as a DJ. It is a small tool used for certain occasions, not meant to do your job.

Inviato Wed 21 Sep 22 @ 9:45 pm