Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ Mac 2023 freezing- new computer MacBook Pro M1 & using MacOS Ventura - Page: 1
Hi 👋 I’ve bought a new MacBook Pro M1 custom built computer & my VDJ keeps freezing whenever I do something else like look up music or go on the web.

I’ve installed & reinstalled from VDJ website- use Mac 2023 version & login. I’ve got the pro license.

I don’t have much running in the background & I’ve updated to macOS Ventura. There’s no viruses or malware when I scan it. Message the support system & not able to help.

Hope anyone else can help me bc I don’t want my VDJ program to freeze whilst I’m DJing.

Inviato Fri 27 Jan 23 @ 12:39 am
Same issue for me while testing. The whole UI will either freeze or go choppy for 10 to 12 seconds at a time..... but that's also with VDJ in focus and not in the background.

Inviato Fri 27 Jan 23 @ 8:19 am
I've been running my 14" M1 MacBook Pro since June last year and have never had any freezing or choppiness. Everything runs smoothly including extended video output with scrolling text.

Also, have run my 15" Touchbar Mac for 5 years with CleanMyMac X with no freezing or hiccups.

I run CleanMyMac X daily and pretty sure that may have a lot to do with it.

Inviato Fri 27 Jan 23 @ 12:24 pm
Apparently VDJ support says some skins not compatible with new VDJ 2023. I like using pioneer wego 4 deck skin so it's easier to cue music. The default VDJ skin 4 deck harder to use with 2 jog wheel controller

I've reinstalled macOS Ventura & clean my Mac - some improvements but still freeze sometimes. Ooh some folders can't be read on VDJ side list too. I love love Stems 2.0 makes blending, transitioning & mash ups easier.

Inviato Fri 27 Jan 23 @ 11:09 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Zoukessa wrote :
...some folders can't be read on VDJ side list too

Please provide further details and/or an example .
Have u installed VirtualDJ from Apple store ? If so, try to install from here.. https://www.virtualdj.com/download/index.html

Inviato Sat 28 Jan 23 @ 5:31 pm
Yep I’ve uninstalled & reinstall VDJ Mac 2023 from VDJ website. I’ve also reinstalled MacOS Ventura.

It freezes if u do other activities. Only works well if only doing just VDJ & not go out of the screen.

Inviato Sun 29 Jan 23 @ 12:46 pm
Try setting skinfps to 0

That seemed to help when I had the freezes.

Inviato Sun 29 Jan 23 @ 1:18 pm
my issue is not being to read my external drive to get my music loaded into vdj can anybody say what i should do ?

Inviato Sun 29 Jan 23 @ 3:17 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Try setting skinfps to 0

That seemed to help when I had the freezes.

Skinfps is 60 atm but I’ll try with zero. Do I leave it on skin use lower GPU & auto experimental skin engine ? Thanks so much for your help

Inviato Tue 31 Jan 23 @ 10:11 am
giarcpan2 wrote :
my issue is not being to read my external drive to get my music loaded into vdj can anybody say what i should do ?

Me too. VDJ can read most of my files from external hard drive but there’s 2 files can’t & they’re all converted mp3 too.

Inviato Tue 31 Jan 23 @ 10:14 am
The Mac only has one GPU so that setting doesn't apply.

Not sure about the experemantal skin engine but you can try the different settings to see what works.

Inviato Tue 31 Jan 23 @ 10:18 am
Here is a short demo of my 14" M1 MacBook Pro video output from VirtualDJ. It was recorded on my iPhone 13 Pro. Video output is on my 42" TV. Obviously, through the Internet and coming from Vimeo there is some degradation, it is crisper in reality.

VirtualDJ skin is by Dan (djtouchdan) Project X Slider Pro Layout (available in Settings/Extensions)
experimentalSkinEngine = Auto
skinFPS = 60
videoFPS = 120
The top left is a static demo logo
The top right is my rotating globe logo. (it has a little hiccup, I do have a smooth version somewhere)
Notice the smooth Text scrolling, in experiments I found it was much smoother at 120 FPS rather than at 60 FPS.
During this recording, the VirtualDJ website was open in the Opera web browser and minimized.

Video demo

My Systems Specs;
Main System - M1 MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2022), Apple Silicon M1 Pro, 16gb, 500 gb SSD, macOS Ventura 13.2, External WD Passport Ultra 2Tb HD formatted exFat containing Music & Video databases. VirtualDJ v2023-m b7403.

Inviato Tue 31 Jan 23 @ 5:27 pm
djsh69PRO InfinityMember since 2018
Are you using Apple Stage Manager? Maybe it will make a difference disabling it …

Inviato Tue 31 Jan 23 @ 6:36 pm
I would recommend, disabling the Stage Manager when using VDJ. I have found that when using Stage Manager, running VDJ and minimizing it to the left side of the screen to bring another program to the Centre Stage, VDJ interface freezes! Restoring VDJ to the Centre Stage the VDJ interface will still be frozen (the music continues), to unfreeze it change VDJ to Full Screen or Windowed Screen then to your desired display ( I use Windowed because of the notch hiding the beat counter on Full Screen). Other programs continue running when they are parked. I prefer not to use Stage Manager when DJing with VDJ to stop any confusion.

All other times I quite happily use Stage Manager.

Inviato Tue 31 Jan 23 @ 6:47 pm
Zoukessa wrote :
Hi 👋 I’ve bought a new MacBook Pro M1 custom built computer & my VDJ keeps freezing whenever I do something else like look up music or go on the web.

Hope anyone else can help me bc I don’t want my VDJ program to freeze whilst I’m DJing.

Here is another demo using VDJ to output music videos and running various apps all from the battery. Notice the text in the background is still scrolling smoothly. I had to change the colours due to some saturation making it impossible to see, so, it has a red hue that's not normal. The normal output is perfectly fine and crisp.

Demo 2 running VDJ & various apps

Inviato Tue 31 Jan 23 @ 8:07 pm
Im curious if youre using the 13" 14 or 16" macbook pro. I know the 13 has less cores.

I have the 14" and have not had any freezing issues

Inviato Tue 31 Jan 23 @ 9:29 pm
@DJJOHNNYROX

4 posts above yours has my system specs. 🤷‍♂️

Inviato Tue 31 Jan 23 @ 10:28 pm
Les I was asking the person who started this post , I saw yours specs . I was wondering which Mac he has since He's the one having the freezing issue

Inviato Wed 01 Feb 23 @ 1:24 am
Aah, my apologies, thought you were asking me. 🤣
He maybe has the MacBook Air, I dunno.

How is yours doing? I had a lot of soul-searching for either 14" or 16". Here in the UK the difference is about £385 for that little extra screen acreage. After 47 years of DJing I am now in semi-retirement and from over 100 gigs per year for decades I now only DJ the occasional gig. As can be seen in the above videos I output to my 42" TV 90% of the time when I use it at home. But, for gigging, the fantastic XDR screen display is crystal clear even with very small characters. Cheers.

Inviato Wed 01 Feb 23 @ 2:09 am
Les , so far it's been just about flawless. I have couple hundred gig of music on the hard drive and a terabyte sd card with music videos I leave installed. This is the 3rd Mac I've had in 10 years, I've had great luck with them. I've been at this almost 40 years , ugh . I'm lucky I still get to spin a few times a month

Inviato Wed 01 Feb 23 @ 2:55 am
57%