Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: max files in folder of ssd?
For those of you who have songs on an ssd or hdd whats the most song files you will put in a folder?
Im told by some its better to have lots of folders with less files than fewer folders with more files,
Any thoughts?

Inviato Thu 02 Feb 23 @ 2:03 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
it matters not. Obviously smaller numbers of file will be populate the browser window faster but the difference shouldn't be noticeable.
We're talking ms difference, between 2 files & 2000 files.

Inviato Thu 02 Feb 23 @ 5:54 am
Thanx, my mp3s are all by artist 1000s of folders and some folders might have 1 file others 100 or more but mp4 got sloppy one folder might have 5000 mixed artist files but ive never seen any lags or anything bad basically instant finding and loading, i guess ideally each mp4 artist would have their own folder like my mp3s. I do 2 club nites a week over a year now no issues.
Many thanks.

Inviato Thu 02 Feb 23 @ 11:04 am
Interesting question. I originally created my Database (all mp3s originally) in 1998 in Windows (W95 or W98 can't remember). It was originally created with the structure by Decade with subfolders like Key, Dance, Party, Heavy, etc. The idea was that changing to different DJ software would mean the structure would be familiar. The drawback was that often the same tune would need to be in different folders creating loads of duplicates.

I continued this until around 2006 when I started using video. I created a separate Video Database and started to follow a similar structure, but, I started getting lazy and began putting all my videos into each year.. Just had a quick check and in the 2013 folder, I have 1,727 music videos in the same folder. That's the most I have found in one folder.

In the last 2 years, I've changed the way I work. I subscribed to Promo Only mp3s (receiving around 250 per month), so, I have the year folder subdivided by month. But now with VirtualDJ and Virtual Folders, I have re-created my previous structure as Virtual Folders and I can have the same tune, mp3 or mp4 (video), in loads of different Virtual Folders yet only 1 copy of the tune on the hard drive, that's much more efficient.

Inviato Thu 02 Feb 23 @ 3:00 pm