Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stems Engine Error on newest MacBook M2 Max
Hi!

I got a new MacBook.
M2 Max / 12-Core CPU / 38-Core GPU / 32GB Ram / 4TB / MacOS Ventura

it took me a few days to figure it out how to do the switch from my old to the new one, since I had to take care of some "third-party-stuff" which is not related to VirtualDJ.

But in the meantime I installed VirtualDJ on the brand new and empty Macbook, just to see the performance of the stems. I opened the completely blank installation of VirtualDJ and tested the stems.
Worked perfectly.

As I figured out how I could perform the switch correctly, I switched from my old to my new MacBook - the exact same MacBook on which the stems worked perfectly before - and ran VirtualDJ.

The message "Stems Engine Error" showed up.
No matter what I tried, the message keeps appearing.

Things I tried:
- Re-Installed VirtualDJ
- Updated the Ventura 13.4 (VirtualDJ is always up-to-date)
- Different settings in Options -> stemsRealtimeSeparation
- Different settings in Options -> stemsSavedStems
- Different settings in Options -> stemsFix
- Deleted the entry in Options -> videoDriver (It had "Intel Iris" in it, but automatically switched to "Apple M2 Max" as soon as I hit the cross in the right side.)
- Reset the whole software (in Options-Menu)
(by resetting the software the folder where the database and all VDJ-stuff is located changed from the documents-folder into the library-folder. It was in documents before, because I had the same installation since 2010.)

The Stems Engine still doesn't work and I don't know what to do else.
Previously separated stems do work.
Preparing stems doesn't work.

This is what the Log-File says:

--- 2023/05/23 - 15:59 (7569)
[15:59:10] Stems engine GPU failed. m1 error Failed to generate key request for 8E7270DE-CD89-4D34-A356-FF97CD69A596 with error: -42908
[15:59:10] Fallback to no stems separation (GPU not available)

Anybody any idea?

Inviato Tue 23 May 23 @ 2:09 pm
Meanwhile I used a small free program called "AppCleaner".
It seems to search for every related file & folder of an app to achieve a complete clean uninstallation.
Looked very promising, since it found a lot of folders in the Macs Library.

After that I re-installed Virtual DJ again.
It was totally reset to zero as I hoped it to be, but the "Stems Engine Error"-Warning still comes up.

The Log-File says the same thing as before:

--- 2023/05/25 - 05:18 (7555)
[05:18:55] Stems engine GPU failed. m1 error Failed to generate key request for 8E7270DE-CD89-4D34-A356-FF97CD69A596 with error: -42908
[05:18:55] Fallback to no stems separation (GPU not available)

Can someone help?

Inviato Thu 25 May 23 @ 3:26 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006

Inviato Thu 25 May 23 @ 4:17 am
Adion wrote :
Can you check if System Integrity Protection (SIP) is enabled?
https://www.kolide.com/features/checks/mac-system-integrity-protection

Also, it seems like the mac transfer utility might cause this.

Ok so it seems that during the transfer process the SIP got disabled, because it already was disabled on the old mac due to get "totalfinder" to work. ( https://totalfinder.binaryage.com/ )
I enabled it again and VirtualDJ works perfectly, so thanks for that in the first place!

Is there a way to get the Stems also running with SIP disabled, to be able to still use totalfinder?
I tried to run VDJ with Rosetta (by right-clicking the app --> Get Info) and the Stem-Engine worked even with SIP disabled. (But the ventilator of the mac turned on during VDJ was opened)
Maybe there is a way to get it running with SIP disabled?

Inviato Thu 25 May 23 @ 2:02 pm
Without SIP the rosetta version would fall back to cpu processing, which is indeed not as efficient.

Inviato Thu 25 May 23 @ 2:12 pm
Adion wrote :
Without SIP the rosetta version would fall back to cpu processing, which is indeed not as efficient.

Oh ok, I understand.

So do you think you can figure out a way to get everything working without SIP and without Rosetta?

Inviato Thu 25 May 23 @ 2:35 pm
Not very likely

Inviato Thu 25 May 23 @ 2:46 pm
Adion wrote :
Not very likely

Sad to here this.
But maybe there is some solution some day.

Nevertheless, THANK YOU very much for your help!
Solved my problem.
Have a nice time!

Inviato Thu 25 May 23 @ 2:59 pm
I went through that as well. Freaking LOVE totalfinder. But stems have to come first.

Inviato Fri 26 May 23 @ 2:07 am
christianwheel wrote :
I went through that as well. Freaking LOVE totalfinder. But stems have to come first.

Oh yes, you said it!
I mainly bought this mac for better performance overall, but a big chunk of this decision were the stems of course.
Thats why there is no question for me what has to come first, but I indeed will miss totalfinder.

Inviato Fri 26 May 23 @ 4:14 am
Sooooooo for the record, I have a MBP with a M2 Pro chip, and get the same "Stems engine error" on VDJ launch. I've checked the SIP status, and it is "enabled", but I still get the message. I don't use Stems a lot, and the few times I've messed with them, frankly, they still seem to be working just fine. I'm not so worried about the error message, but am curious what might be causing it, given that the SIP status is "enabled".

Inviato Thu 01 Jun 23 @ 1:52 pm
user23248889 wrote :
Sooooooo for the record, I have a MBP with a M2 Pro chip, and get the same "Stems engine error" on VDJ launch. I've checked the SIP status, and it is "enabled", but I still get the message. I don't use Stems a lot, and the few times I've messed with them, frankly, they still seem to be working just fine. I'm not so worried about the error message, but am curious what might be causing it, given that the SIP status is "enabled".

Can you take a look into the Log-File?
(Its in your VirtualDJ folder, just where the skin-folder is.)

There should be some information maybe, so the devs can tell something more.

Inviato Thu 01 Jun 23 @ 8:41 pm