Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Flash memory to use?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I have question where I couldn't find an answer in the forums. Everybody talks about the speed of harddisk drives: 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM. Could USB Flash memory be an alternative? i see in the specifications f.i. Transcend JetFlash 110 that this stick is able to read at 12 Mb per sec. Isn't that faster than harddisks? So why not use this instead of your harddisk? I assume that using a harddisk for the operating system and the VDJ software would suffer less than also being used for tracks.

To complicate... what if I use two of these devices? On any notebook there are at least 2, and mostly 4 USB ports. So like using 4 x 1 Gb Flash memory could do the trick? On 4 Gb I would have more than enough music to choose from in a set.

Inviato Tue 30 May 06 @ 2:29 pm
Flash memory is nowhere near quicker than an internal harddrive (and even external is mostly limited by the connection, e.g. USB). Flash memory may be quicker to access files, but by such a small amount you wouldn't be able to measure it. It also has a much more limited lifespan and is more expensive. You're better off getting an external USB2 / Firewire harddrive than a flash alternative, if you can afford the space.

Inviato Tue 30 May 06 @ 5:52 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
4x 1GB flash = 1x external usb/firewire 250GB disk (in price). and you won't notice the difference when using 7200RPM disk or flesh card :)

Inviato Tue 30 May 06 @ 7:17 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)