Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Any DJs on here make mixtapes? - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

MannasPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I am a mixtape dj and I was thinking of making an online site to sell digital copies of mixtapes. I was wondering if any djs on here would be interested. It will probably be geared toward hip-hop and reggaeton type stuff but who knows, depends on what kind of interest is shown. If i can get enough interest I may go ahead with it. Let me know if anyone would be interested.

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 7:54 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Legal?

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 8:03 pm
Just as legal as selling mixtapes.

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 8:25 pm
vidanesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
No interest in reggeaton whatsoever... Sorry mate

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 8:42 pm
Mixtapes are only legal, if you have permission from each label or artist. Yeah, I know everybody does it, and I was one of them. That still does not make it legal. Are you sending each artist a cut of your proceeds? I didn't think so.

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 9:16 pm
LoL... whatever makes the money... now days everything is legal

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 10:48 pm
It's not legal but there are ways of getting around it.

For example, on sites like mixtapekings.com, they sell mixtapes but you don't actually BUY the mixtapes - you buy a sticker that costs $7 and they give you the "free" mixtape with the purchase. This is because of the reasons stated above.

You also have to state that the mixtapes are for promotional use only. Thats how it works in the US anyway, not sure about the UK or where ever your from.

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 11:04 pm
What part of "unauthorized duplication", is so hard to understand?

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 11:13 pm
it's funny that someone who says they've done it before is getting such an attitude about it. sounds kinda hypocritical if you ask me. i'm not trying to hold anybody down. most of the big djs are putting out mixtapes. dont knock it, i'm not trying to hold you down.

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 1:17 am
Here's the deal regarding the legality of it...

Making mixtapes is actually illegal, and it's also illegal to play out vinyls or cds that aren't promo copies (you might have seen "public performance prohibited" on most releases).
That said, there are certain things that the industry accepts, things that are strictly speaking illegal, but it's understood by all that enforcing these laws would benefit nobody. I'm talking about playing records in public (record labels would normally encourage this) and making mixtapes/cds for demonstration purposes (it's just something that's been done for many years and is perfectly acceptable).

However, selling mixtapes/cds is not accepted by labels and at the moment there is a major clamp down on it. If you want proof of this, check the Z Records forum, which is home to Joey Negro. He's sick of people selling cds containing his tracks, so he's started to take action. It's mainly because, from a producers or labels point of view, why should somebody profit from your hard work when you see nothing??

If you did decide to start a service to sell mixes, I'd seriously expect to be closed pretty quickly, and more to the point you'd be possibly facing legal action. If you've got several thousands of $$ to waste, then risk it. If not, I wouldn't ;)

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 5:03 am
Mannas wrote :
it's funny that someone who says they've done it before is getting such an attitude about it. sounds kinda hypocritical if you ask me. i'm not trying to hold anybody down. most of the big djs are putting out mixtapes. dont knock it, i'm not trying to hold you down.

err yeah, most of the big djs are putting out mixes, on record labels that license the tracks for release.

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 5:08 am
Mannas wrote :

Actually, I don't have an attitude. I just happen to speak in a straight forward manner. It still says
"Custom CD's/Tapes", on the back of my business cards. Years ago, I got a great deal on 50,000 business cards, so I still have them. I use to do a lot of things that I don't do any more. I grew up. I don't make excuses for illegal behavior. I try to keep it simple. Is it right or wrong, it's not hard to make a decision. Everything I do, can be done out in the open, can stand up under the light. If I were a hypocrite, I would still be making CD's, and telling you not to. Check the definition of hypocrite out. I am not better than you. I don't even know you. My opinion of you, is based on the way you present yourself. However, if I tell you something, you will not see me sneaking around, doing the opposite. That was not aways the case, but it is now. So, that is how I present myself. As for the "big named DJ's", they have "authorization" to use those tracks, and pay a percentage to the labels. Now, I am not trying to hold you down. I'm just telling you how it is, without the sweet stuff on top.

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 8:57 am
I'm sorry Mannas, but A man and His music is definatly rite here, it is illegal and selling unauthorized mix tapes on the internet will land you into a lot of trouble. You really must weigh up whether it is worth the risk for the few hundred dollars you may make..
Think about it, Cheers.

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 12:16 pm
I make mixtapes about two every month and would be interested..

as far as it being legal or illegal who gives a shit everybody does it so sell mixtapes to everybody. music is meant to be shared. hell i sell mixtapes and my mixtapes are on other sites..check out
www.djdownloadz.com, imixtapes.com, and fastmixtapes.net.....

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 4:18 pm
DJBIGMARK wrote :
I make mixtapes about two every month and would be interested..

as far as it being legal or illegal who gives a shit everybody does it so sell mixtapes to everybody. music is meant to be shared. hell i sell mixtapes and my mixtapes are on other sites..check out

music is meant to be shared??? who are you to say it's ok to share it? how's about you share your wages with all the producers who work there arses off every month? jeez, making money in the music industry is hard enough, then there's people like you trying to make our lives ten times more difficult. do you have any idea how much it costs to make a track?? i can't wait to see the authorities slammin heavy fines on individual djs, that'll sort things out.

and for all the uk jocks who think it's cool to download and share illegally, i'd check out the new laws that are coming in. they're going all strict like the italians, where you gotta be able to proove, on the spot, that your music is legit (with receipts and emails) and if you don't then they will take your cd wallets off you there and then. and of course after that, if you fail to provide the correct receipts then you may be subject to a heavy fine. just check the italian dj last year who got fine $1million for having about 50,000 illegal downloads. worth it?? probably not.

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 5:17 pm
DJBIGMARK wrote :
check out

p.s. thanks for those links, i'll be personally reporting them to the correct authorities.

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 5:18 pm
So you think Whoo kid and all the other mixtape dj's get their music from the labels and that they have permission to use every song your dead wrong. Unti lthey come up with a better way to stop piracy then long live the mixtape dj's. Its one of the ways to get noticied in the dj biz.. I do buy music and i do download music.. I download because im to lazy to record my own albums that i have in storage therefore i see no harm because i already own the music. Also The record companies are paid out the ass and the producers or musicians of these records get peanuts. So "F" the record companies and hell yes share music until those fat pigs wake up!!!! besides half of the music today is pure garbage anayway not worth a penny of my money.. Not every rapper can be a thug or tote a gat fake ass paper gangstas..

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 10:11 pm
DJBIGMARK wrote :
So you think Whoo kid and all the other mixtape dj's get their music from the labels and that they have permission to use every song your dead wrong. Unti lthey come up with a better way to stop piracy then long live the mixtape dj's. Its one of the ways to get noticied in the dj biz.. I do buy music and i do download music.. I download because im to lazy to record my own albums that i have in storage therefore i see no harm because i already own the music. Also The record companies are paid out the ass and the producers or musicians of these records get peanuts. So "F" the record companies and hell yes share music until those fat pigs wake up!!!! besides half of the music today is pure garbage anayway not worth a penny of my money.. Not every rapper can be a thug or tote a gat fake ass paper gangstas..

sorry pal, but the whole point has gona way over your head. no-one's saying making or even distibuting mixtapes is wrong. labels and artists accept that. but making money off them is wrong!

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 10:19 pm
gotta side with Secretsoul here...

Although its fun making mixtapes, and get feedback... making money on it is a totally different game ;)

Sure the artist probably make loads of money already, but its a principle...

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 10:27 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i actually hate these discussions but i'm just dropping my 2 cents, I think that mixtapes given away for free and properly labelled "promo use only" including dj drops every so often is fine. That way the record companies get tracks out there for people to hear and possible make sales and the dj gets their name out for promotions. And with the dj drops(audio watermarks) all over the tape its prevents people from taking the music for thier own use and other duplication.

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 06 @ 10:33 pm
80%