Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: samples improvements - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

i don\'t think the samples we have now are all that useful.

each sample takes too much room and we\'re limited to only 12.

why not have samples setup in 3 columns

column 1: list of samples with scrollbar
display: all, most common, vdj default,
sort: alphabetically, newest, most used,

column 2: loading pannels
12 rectangles to load any sample from column 1 into a pannel. funciton keys at top of keyboard executes them
sample volume

column 3: sample options.
sample master volume
sample master bpm: active, A, B, none
Sound Card
Preset settings

here is a rough sketch i drew with ms paint.

DJ Shahar

Inviato Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 12:42 pm
pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Nice ideas.

I also don't like how it's today. But different people have different needs.
Since i have done a lot of radio in the past i like that way to handle samples/Jingles. At the moment i'm working on a small program to give me that when working with VDJ. The program can control both VDJs samples channels and it's owns.

One thing that i'm testing is not to have 12 hardcoded "fader-channels". I think 4-6 is enough. When do you need to play 12 samples at the same time ? The way i'm testing is that you assign a sample to one of 4-6 "mixing channels" just like an X-Fader assign. It can also autoselect the first free fader, or be assigned to a fader Cue to be autoloaded when the fader is free. This way you can have unlimited number of samples ready for use.

But what you do need is more "LOAD" buttons. So i'm testing a lot of diffent ways here, with bank-load etc.

Another reason for reducing the fader-channels is since i'm also working on a small MIDI controller for it. This to get a little old NAB Cartridge Machine feeling ;-). But the program will work without it also.

I hope to be able o have the first available BETA during the X-Mas holidays..

Inviato Sun 07 Dec 08 @ 5:49 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Pern, a radio type cartridge is what i'm looking for with multiple choice carts, i use quite a few drops in the night depending on the situation, so a plug in that i could select from for any given "jingle" would be great.

Inviato Sun 07 Dec 08 @ 6:47 am
Yes, the goal is to develop a really good Multiple "Cartrige Machine" Player to use with VDJ.

Easy to use and fast jingle/sample find/load even with 1000's of jingles is my most important goals.

This functionality isn't for everyone, but if you are used to handle jingles/Drop-Ins like this. Then you really miss not to have it.

The core problem with the sample section in VDJ from my point of view is that it's mainly designed for live-remixing. A "Jingle" player is a complete different thing. The perfect solution should be that you could choose in VDJ to have a LIVE-REMIX or JINGLE sampler.

This is not a std VDJ-plug in. But a Windows program that runs in the background. It controls the VDJ sampler via MIDI. Just press a key, like F12 to bring it to the screen top. Search, select and load the samples you want to use. The press the key again the to hide the window or to show a small cartridge like player window in the bottom of the screen.

The reason for not doing it as a VDJ plugin is that it would limit me to much regarding functionality.

It can play almost any audio file as a jingle/sample. Including VDJs. You can assign any kbd combination to trigg all players functionality etc. And later i will also add MIDI in. This so you can controll it via any MIDI controller also.

Inviato Sun 07 Dec 08 @ 8:30 am
sounds like i'm getting a great christmas box after all, i can't wait.... cheers

Inviato Sun 07 Dec 08 @ 12:05 pm
I've made some modifications to the new sampler wish

with this version you can have a sample library and you can search for a specific sample. drag and drop where ever you want it.

master volume of samples on the right

Preset..

Save - saves the current sample list to a file with bpm, vol, etc.
Load - opens a browser window to load a preset sample list.

this is similar to DMX scene

Inviato Sat 13 Dec 08 @ 1:01 pm
here we have a detail of the sample

the function key used to execute a sample may be changed right on the sample.

this way, you can adjust even 7 samples with specific bpm, and volume, then execute them all with 1 button.

This idea just came to me right now. and i very much hope you all like this idea.

Inviato Sat 13 Dec 08 @ 1:07 pm
it would also be nice to be able to connect to virtualdj.com with virtual dj pro 5.xx and download all the samples with one click directly to the samples library.

Inviato Sat 13 Dec 08 @ 6:30 pm
update..

next to the search is a sort button.. clicking on the \"S\" will display the sort order menu

S : Standard / Alphabetical
F: Frequency of use (highest use on top)

Inviato Sat 13 Dec 08 @ 6:52 pm
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
djkz wrote :
update..

next to the search is a sort button.. clicking on the \"S\" will display the sort order menu

S : Standard / Alphabetical
F: Frequency of use (highest use on top)

I like it djkz; I need a search field too because I have got many VST effects into my folder.

Inviato Sun 14 Dec 08 @ 6:34 am
i'm always looking to improve what i do. a niche.. a reason for clients to prefer me over others.

and having a sample library is a huge niche.

i believe samples and video effects are going to be the next big thing in the dj world.

if vdj improves out of the ordinary elements and maintains the dj necessities, then it will continue to be steps ahead of the competitors.

Inviato Sun 14 Dec 08 @ 7:23 pm
not knocking anybody's efforts here but this looks as though its getting way to complicated all that is needed is a simple cart machine or page that can be brought up quickly, push the the sample and it plays, easy! as for samples being the next best thing they have and i have been around since the sun came up, they have always been part of what i do, they are great for "events" that happen off the cuff throughout the night,

years ago i used a programme that was basically crap but had one good thing going for it and that was it's multiple jingle page's, all you had to do was hit the jingle button, select page, each page could be assigned it's own title say like digi effects, tv themes, movies, etc etc. and the good thing was it always opened at the last page that was used, an example of this could be when the police used to do a "walk through" a bar, i would hit the theme to a well known police series, the punters and even the coppers used to fall about everytime i hit it and both were disappointed if i didn't play it, lol. that programme was quick and simple and worked.

i've shown this since the beginning of the year when i asked about increasing the jingle page and is based on that software but my effort doesn't look half as good (i'll try and remember what it was and show you) simple little squares with the name in the box, now with this you could change all those sample box's to jingles and you have 36 jingles to play with... hope that helps Pern.

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 5:16 am
@tayla

This would be really easy for the dev team to add to VDJ if they wanted to do it.

Writing a small app like i do to create this functionality is also easy. The problem comes when i want to stream the sound to a Soundcard output. There are some problems when using ASIO for VDJ and Directsound/WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) . There are also some issues when using ASIO and Directsound together on VISTA.

So to have a program to work 100% it must support ASIO/Direct Sound and WASAPI. But i'm working on it ;-)

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 5:35 am
Jeez it's being staring me in the face how that jingle software was set out, when looking at the above image, right i'll try and explain, the top line where the play squares are you assigned each one with a theme and give it a name, now these were always constant at the top of the page no matter which one was selected.

hit a theme and a page came up with multiple same size squares each with it's own little jingle inside that you could play, now if you wanted to change to a different type of jingle all you did was hit a different themed square at the top of the page and away you went, simple but brilliant.

now if you want to get complicated or flash you could make it where each square or theme could be "colourised".

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 5:46 am
thanks for the reply Pern, did the above then was interupted by a phone call thats why it looks out of sync with the rest of the replys... can't wait for the finished programme,

p.s. i will try and hunt that other software down and give a link or show an image, never know it may help.

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 5:58 am
found it, think my memories of it have faded with time, lol.

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 6:03 am
i think these samples are still use full to me so dnt even think about removing them :P..
hehehe...

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 7:26 am
this whole thread is about improving not removing.

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 7:32 am
improving.. with a library and better control

don't forget about the "scene" preset. that's especially good.

and no.. other programs are no good, because then we would have to switch back and forth between vdj and the other program.

let's also not forget the downfall of asio.. only one program can use the sound card.

is it me.. or did this thread just get a whole lot more interesting?

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 11:38 am
BishPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think for me this thread got interesting-er, when I thought of the ideas and work u guys are doin and maybe marrying it up with something like the Korg Nanopad???

Inviato Thu 18 Dec 08 @ 6:31 am
42%