Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Karaoke File Naming Convention

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

massdjsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I posted a similiar topic but here is the typical industry standard file naming convention for karaoke zip files. Since there aren't any id3 tags associated with karaoke zip files it would be nice for VDJ to implement a way to post the track Artist, Title, Album, Track in the proper field via from the file name.

Typical naming convention: Disc - Artist - Title

Example Names:

SC8995-10 - Nickelback - Far Away.zip
SC8995-12 - Three Days Grace - Pain.zip
SC8995-03 - Furtado, Nelly - Say It Right.zip

As it stand nows when these are added to the database it's a mess. As I stated this is the MOST used naming convention for karaoke. I'm very picky about my file naming and would like to be able to search my tracks easily. Thanks!

Inviato Sat 06 Dec 08 @ 3:55 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Here is your original text --
massdjs wrote :
Would it be possible to at least implement a naming convention that would use the following for us karaoke users as well since we are at the mercy filename and no id3 tag?

Filename = Artist - Title - Album

Right now it seems to be only Artist -Title

Next time just add to the other one .

Inviato Sat 06 Dec 08 @ 4:43 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Now to answer your question -- we have always had a naming convention ...

Artist - Title

And for Karaoke all three files should be named the same ...

Artist - Title.mp3
Artist - Title.cdg
------------------------
Artist - Title.zip

Add all the additional info to the MP3 - ID3Tag and then VirtualDJ will read that info.

Inviato Sat 06 Dec 08 @ 4:45 pm
massdjsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I understand that it will extract the filename that way but there are many versions of karaoke songs. Most people like to sing a specific version. So the ability to also list the album would be a nice addition as well. Most of us karaoke users have an automated naming program and they typically list:

SC8854-09 - Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA

That is the most common way for karaoke users to name their files.

Inviato Sat 20 Dec 08 @ 12:45 pm
You know, personally I stopped a long time ago keeping track of disc ID's and instead, decided on my own which version of a track I felt was better and got rid of all the rest. I've never had more than one or two people ask for a specific version (and 99% of the time they asked for Sound Choice which I tend to keep anyway). Plus, if I piss off one or two guys they can just go somewhere else, it's not the end of the world. It sure beats keeping track of several versions of the same song and I also keep a clear picture as to how many actual tracks I own. I don't lie to my customers and say I have 30,000 tracks when I really only have about 9,000 unique tracks!

That said, I still do support the notion of a customizable file naming convention. I wrote my own "karaoke manager" program to automatically batch parse my karaoke files and strip out the disc ID and rename the contents (and recompress them to an appropriate compression). It also parses through common naming typos and such to try to detect duplicate songs. As a result I've conformed to Virtual DJ's naming convention... though that was alot of work to do so! A customizable naming convention would be great for people who like to have something other than Artist - Title. I can't even count how many other audio programs have systems to read or write files in a customizable manner.

Inviato Mon 22 Dec 08 @ 2:10 am
Ok why can't the tracks be renamed to Springsteen, Bruce - Born In The Usa (SC****).zip I unsderstand why u guys are asking, but IMHO this is how the program works and all you have to do is search for Born In The * then you can see the versions and select from there.

Inviato Mon 22 Dec 08 @ 2:28 am
Hi,

I have karaoke files in CD+G format, the problem being that they are named badly.

eg:
01 - Aqua - Doctor Jones.cdg
01 - Aqua - Doctor Jones.mp3

07__BOY_MEETS_GIRL__WAITI.CDG
07__BOY_MEETS_GIRL__WAITI

SF008-11 - PEOPLE WILL SAY.cdg
SF008-11 - PEOPLE WILL SAY

I would like all the tracks to read like this,

Aqua - Doctor Jones.cdg
Aqua - Doctor Jones

Can you help?

Inviato Mon 29 Dec 08 @ 1:35 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008

Inviato Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 12:37 pm
mcdocPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Here is a very simple answer to your problem.

Replace the "Title" field in your browser with the "Filename" field.

Try it, seriously!

I had the exact same issue and sometimes have 12 to 20 versions of the same songs. I very rarely have people ask for a specific version of a song, and when they do, it is usually an old timer asking for the DK version. I usually give the singer the DK version anyway if I have it, then go for Sound Choice, followed by Chartbusters. By seeing the "Filename" field, I can see ALL of the information about each track.

Since I also name my files - Brand - Artist - Title (i.e. DK002-12 - Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife) - my "Artist" field actually becomes the Brand so it is very easy to sort by disc brand.

Another quick tip: once you actually play a file, VDJ will determine the tempo - so keep your Tempo fieild in view and once you get your search results - sort by tempo to quick pull the version you've used to the top of the heap. You can also accomplish this by typing 'Best" in the comment field of the versions you like and sort the comment field to bring them to the top.

Have fun!

Inviato Sun 18 Jan 09 @ 3:39 pm
I know that this thread is old and closed, but did anyone ever figure it out? I am suing KJ File Manager to manage my files naming them as DiscID - Artisit - Title, but NUmark Cue/Virtual DJ will not display it correctly. It displays the artisit - title as the title and the DiscID as the artist.

Inviato Tue 11 Feb 14 @ 3:25 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hope your not "suing" anybody, lol, hopefully this will be corrected in the next update, personally I've wanted this sorted years ago.

Inviato Tue 11 Feb 14 @ 3:33 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)