Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Still no response on the crashes. - Page: 2

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Amen

Inviato Mon 21 Mar 05 @ 4:40 am
Well I just got the same crash while scratching with the mouse on the 2.05 trial version. The song was fully loaded and VDJ just crashed right to the desktop so I don't think the issue is with external hardware although with VDJ itself no liking the scratching.

just a heads up to the support group on this so they can hopefully get a bit of help on why and how the crash occurs.

Inviato Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 1:05 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Try to reproduce the crash by using the minimum of things (hardware,program) so as to isolate the problem. Try to build your minimal computer....

I have tried on two computers to do a crash when scratching even by using Time Code and nothing. I never use Time Strech so maybe. If there is one we need more details: i mean all you can, all you know like did awesome!! each case is specified in general

Do you usually change date into Windows or its registry? Are you sure of your drivers, chipsets, processor,ram, hard disk. A big problem in general is when your harware is too hot so be careful. Verify cable

Inviato Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 1:52 am
Another tip: create two sections: one for system (windows+virtual dj) and another for data (songs)

I use two hard disk for that in my tower computer and i advise it to you if you can otherwise divide you hard disk in two. I did that for my laptop

Inviato Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 2:10 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
My laptop configuration is just that - laptop, software, dac-2, maya44USB, TCVs.
I never experienced the crash until I got my TCVs, and where others have experience the crash with the DAC-2, I never have. And the crash has only happened to me once, and that was during my first use of the TCVs at the club. Since then I have used the TCVs on several different occasions and no crash. But, I have taken more caution on when I start my scratching and I now run the maya44 latency setting on 'highest'. These are all recommendations that have been posted since the big dicussions on the problem. And, now DJ_whiteDevil has posted that he experienced the crash with the demo 2.05.

To answer your specific watch list:

Do you usually change date [data] into Windows or its registry? No, legal user of OS and VDJ

Are you sure of your drivers, chipsets, - Yes all 100% up-to-date

processor, 2.6 Ghz full Pentium 4 no Celeron here

ram, 512Mb DDR

hard disk - 250Gb 7200 Rpm External w/Firewire 400

A big problem in general is when your harware is too hot so be careful - Use a laptop cooler even though my Sony already has good heat dispersal/cooling system.

so there's my specs -

Nuts and bolts is -- there is a problem, it seems very random, and cross multiple scenerios. I agree with dj-in-norway, and being a software developer myself; since there seems to be no pattern or specific way to reproduce the problem accross multiple users, then the problem will be very difficult in isolating and trapping. Best of Luck to the Dev Team and I hope you find the cause, because I don't like having to walk on pin needles like everyone else that has experienced this problem. Good luck.

cstoll

Inviato Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 2:11 am
Do you remember the title of the song, the quality, format, encoder....
Are you sure your hard disk is clean, i mean one piece of song here another here, ....
Do you have a "!" after the time of song in vdj? Do you have a "*" after bpm?
Do you have any problem with you usb 2 ...

I could go on like that a long time ;-)

Inviato Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 2:24 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Total agree with you - djcel

I know there are several factors involved. And, I have tried replaying the same song and looked for those unique indicators like you suggest. Please don't take my comments wrong.
I just think this is one of those weird software gliches that is going to be hard to lock down to a root cause. I am just as eager as the next to not have the crash monkey on my shoulder when I am at a gig.

peace,
cstoll

Inviato Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 6:09 am
Well I did have time stretch enabled when it crashed. it is rare that the software crashes on me yet lately I haven't played much with it.

I've only tried it on my desktop PC

Intel P4-3.2GHz
3GB PC3200 Ram
160GB Seagate hard drive (freshly formated with WinXP and VDJ installed)
sound blaster live (updated drivers yet doubt the sound card would cause a crash like this)
Radeon 7500 video card (latest drivers installed here as well)

seems like the time stretch might have something involved with this crash yet I might be wrong here too LOL.

Hope Atomix pulls through on this one!

DJ White Devil

Inviato Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 2:06 pm
3 GB doesnt sound like too much memory to me. Maybe you could put some more to see if general stability gets improved :o)

More seriously, its the first time I hear of a personal computer with that much RAM in it.

Inviato Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 5:51 pm
The timestretch defintely has something to do with it. This is not a guess, it is a fact. I have done extensive testing on this crash problem. Everyone should just be happy that the issue will soon be solved. I feel better about it already. If you notice, I haven't posted anything about VDJ crashing in quite some time.

Inviato Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 7:48 pm
hey guys

i was DJing for a party , first tim ever using virtual DJ , went great for the first hour , absolutely flawless. Then i wasnted to switch genres so i wanted to use the backspin effect. I clicked on it and it said that virtual dj had crashed and there was a smily face that said recover. It closed the program and opened it again. there was a stop in the music on a great song and that really pissed me off. After that the program crashed twice , the typical Windows 98 crash when everything stops and the sound loops. IMAGINE UR COMPUTER CRASHES WHEN 200 PEOPLE ARE DANCING TO YOUR MUSIC! that happenned twice by the way... anyway eventually everyone had a great time coz i totally avoided effects and used the song browser as less as possible. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking it could be ram but ive got 512 SD so thats doubtful

Inviato Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 11:20 am
ipod. I keep one handy as a backup. Next time you do a long set, open task manager and monitor your RAM usage.

Inviato Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 2:25 pm
Sorry but using a demo version in front of 200 people ....???

Inviato Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 3:38 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I never get any crashes with virtual dj, unless i'm abusive with the browser, plus i have never played a set longer than 2-3 hours.

But stability concerns everyone, and will continue to be upper most on everyones minds as the software is becoming more and more proffesional, which means more and more use in clubs/bars etc.

and Virtual DJ has come a long way, I only predict it will continue to do so...

Inviato Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 3:51 pm
tip for "anti crashing" is for sure to keep a lot of free resources for VDJ
go to taskmanager and turn off any services and background apps not needed for the gig, specially antivirus, spyware and more that eats a lot of memory and interfere with files running

ALSO, keep laptop COOL!!! very important.... any software will crash a over-heated laptop after some hours of intensive use...

Make sure soundcard or graphic card, or even usb (if usb device connected to vdj) dont share irq's! that will cause problems in the end...

and ... buy the software, and get the free upgrades and updates... bugfixes have been coming along for a while, and more will come. For improvement, and crash free running...

Look in next update ;)

Inviato Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 7:31 pm
Well one thing about heat from a CPU would be that the whole system will either shutdown or freeze up although the crash I experienced and I'm sure many others had this as well was VDJ crashing to the desktop.

you can re-open VDJ afterwards so I doubt that CPU heat has anything to do with it. Anything else can definatelly affect VDJ.

Best of luck on fixing this

DJ White Devil

Inviato Sun 27 Mar 05 @ 3:07 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)