Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Installing Virtual DJ to an external hard-drive?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

iPengoPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hi,

I was wondering about the feasibility of installing Virtual DJ to an external hard-drive. I currently don't own a laptop and am looking to DJ at events using another person's laptop. The Virtual DJ that I have has been custom mapped to the midi controller and is also custom skinned with extra effects. I want to keep all these settings intact when using my friend's laptop.

Is it possible to copy or install Virtual DJ to an external hard-drive and then run the program from that on my other persons laptop?

Inviato Tue 12 May 09 @ 7:31 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
It can be done, yes. Does this person already use VDJ themselves?

There are a few more changes than simply copying the files however.

Can you trust the other persons laptop will be up the task and performing well? I would never feel confident gigging using a machine I hadn't tested thoroughly myself.

Inviato Tue 12 May 09 @ 7:53 pm
SBDJ wrote :
It can be done, yes. Does this person already use VDJ themselves?

There are a few more changes than simply copying the files however.

Can you trust the other persons laptop will be up the task and performing well? I would never feel confident gigging using a machine I hadn't tested thoroughly myself.

It's a temporary solution if anything. He does use VDJ yeah (is this a problem) and his laptop is high spec. How would you suggest going about doing this?

Inviato Tue 12 May 09 @ 9:56 pm
So assuming he has a legal license, wouldn't it be easier to just copy your effects to his machine and run with his install?

Failing that, you'll need to make some registry changes before you use it and after you use it.

Inviato Wed 13 May 09 @ 7:19 am
I don't think he has a legal license, nor is his version compatible with the advanced mapper and some of the extra addons. Pretty useless really!

I'm not really sure which registry changes would be necessary to make this work. Is there a link to some guidance on this?

Inviato Wed 13 May 09 @ 8:40 am
Sounds about right to me. I've not tested this, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work :)

The only problem you might get is if someone has hardcoded paths in a plugin or mapper. I don't think any of us are stupid enough to do that tho :)

Inviato Wed 13 May 09 @ 10:57 am
Haha!

Also, what about patches and stuff? I got a patch for Virtual DJ to fix a loop-in/out problem. Presumably that will all be sorted?

Thanks for all your help so far man!

Inviato Wed 13 May 09 @ 11:14 am
So did it work? What did you have to do to make it work? I recently purchased an external because my internal was full. I have used an external in the past to store my library and I have a laptop in my rig but here is my idea. I have a PC at my job that I would like to listen to my music on and build playlists for gigs and such. Also I am a trainer at a gym and would like to bring my music along to use during my classes. It would be nice if I could just plug my external in to the gym computer boot up VDJ and run without having to install my copy of VDJ on the gyms PC. I still plan to use my laptop for my gigs but these situations would be nice and convenient. Also in the case of a PC crash at a gig it would be nice to have everything I need on the external.

Inviato Thu 04 Apr 13 @ 8:13 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)