Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: VDJ 6 in 64bit

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I've searched the forum and found 2 other threads regarding 64 bit version of virtual dj back when in the day of 4.x when vista was an issue.

now we have windows 7 and it is far better than vista. i hear it's much more stable. personally, i've never had a problem with either.

one advantage, and the reason why i bought my laptop with a 64 bit os: 8 gigs of ram.

32 bit os only support up to 3 gigs of ram.

My wish to have virtual dj be able to take advantage of the resources i've got in my laptop.

intel dual core 2.9 ghz and 8 gigs ram.

happy holidays,

DJ Shahar Wedding DJ in Los Angeles

Inviato Wed 23 Dec 09 @ 7:00 pm
it's been six days and no reply??

Inviato Fri 01 Jan 10 @ 3:54 pm
i was jus bored iight

Inviato Fri 01 Jan 10 @ 6:21 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
gtwarro69 wrote :
i was jus bored iight

In future please don't spam threads because you are bored.

DJ kz, I doubt it's an issue for many people since I doubt many people run into the 32-bit process limitations under x86, let alone when running VDJ under x86_64 (the memory allocation is different in this scenario) - you can run VDJ as a 32-bit application under a 64-bit OS just fine after all.

The most important thing to bear in mind are drivers of course though.

Inviato Fri 01 Jan 10 @ 6:47 pm
for some reason, vdj won't load songs bigger larger than 15 minutes even though i selected load always. and the song is really 3 minutes. so the vbr is messing it up. and vdj doesn't load it completely resulting in a full analysis. i figured it is because of the 32bit limitation. windows 7 uses 1gb of ram just running windows. and with 2gb 32bit limit, that's 1gb left. the program and other progrs take up some ram too, so, vdj is very limited when running in 32bit form.

now if vdj would recognize my 8gb ram, then maybe it would load the entire song and stop pissing me off!

i'm really trying to get past this. but what do you do when vdj sees a 3 minute song as too much to preload?

i move files in my library all the time and have over 100,000 files. pre analyzing them is useless. it would be nice if vdj would analyze visible files automatically in the background.

Inviato Thu 07 Jan 10 @ 12:56 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
djkz wrote :
for some reason, vdj won't load songs bigger larger than 15 minutes even though i selected load always. and the song is really 3 minutes. so the vbr is messing it up. and vdj doesn't load it completely resulting in a full analysis. i figured it is because of the 32bit limitation. windows 7 uses 1gb of ram just running windows. and with 2gb 32bit limit, that's 1gb left. the program and other progrs take up some ram too, so, vdj is very limited when running in 32bit form.

You figure incorrectly - your memory calculations are off for a start. This might be a good place to start reading:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx

The 2Gb limit I believe you are referring to is actually per-process, not for the whole OS.

djkz wrote :
now if vdj would recognize my 8gb ram, then maybe it would load the entire song and stop pissing me off!

You can run VDJ under 64-bit windows and it will be allowed to allocate more memory due to WoW64 handling the memory allocation - 4Gb per process.

djkz wrote :
i'm really trying to get past this. but what do you do when vdj sees a 3 minute song as too much to preload?

I load much longer tracks all the time on 32-bit XP. You have a problem somewhere, again ;)

djkz wrote :
i move files in my library all the time and have over 100,000 files. pre analyzing them is useless. it would be nice if vdj would analyze visible files automatically in the background.

Why is preanalysing them useless? Just because you move a file doesn't mean it has to be reanalysed :)

Inviato Thu 07 Jan 10 @ 4:54 pm
djkz wrote :

one advantage, and the reason why i bought my laptop with a 64 bit os: 8 gigs of ram.

As I am starting to learn now.. For those using VDJ professionaly (IE: their is probably no other software being used at the time)..

the 64 bit OS has zero advantage over the 32 bit. (no matter how much ram you have)..
in fact the 64 bit version CAUSES problems..

Inviato Tue 12 Jan 10 @ 5:12 pm
just to be clear... When I say "in fact the 64 bit version CAUSES problems.."
100% honest.. not directed at VDJ but at the OS itself..

I just upgraded my Video Editing software last month.. Looking for some answers I was in a few different forums in December..
64 Bit Windows is driving EVERYONE crazy.. not just us..

don't believe me? go too the Cyberlink or Adobe Premeir Elements forums, and try and figure out which video cards are SAFE to use.. LOL

Inviato Wed 13 Jan 10 @ 12:43 am
What's interesting is that this is a request, not an opinion in regards to who thinks their 32bit OS can run it, Of course all those whom have 32bit OS are fine as they are but for those who purchased a laptop with a 64bit OS have to suffer. I my self would also like it if there was drivers for those running 64 bit OS. I currently purchased a laptop with Windows 7, the batterylife on the laptop is AMAZING! and way cheaper than purchasing something like a Mac (Im not as privilaged as others in the forum whom can afford that) but to my dismay when i came home believing id be plugging this up with my Virtual Vinyl and dj my ass off when i very quickly discovered that was not possible with my OS. Aside from all this ranting it would TRULY be helpful if there was a port to the 64bit OS

Thank in advance,
Ducky

Inviato Tue 09 Feb 10 @ 10:52 pm
Ducky,

Your issue is clearly stated in your message: Drivers. Unfortunately Atomix have no control over this. Drivers for the Virtual Vinyl soundcard will be down to Numark.

Hercules for example are already on their second (at least) iteration of their drivers that include 64bit support.

I too am coming to the conclusion that a native 64bit solution, as this stage, will be complete overkill. As Scott has stated you need to give Windows memory management more credit. The limits are "per process" and not for the entire OS.

I'm not ruling out that there shouldn't be a native version in the future. Over time operating systems and applications have managed to progress from 8, 16, 32 and now 64bit. But its never been a smooth ride!

"Back In The Day" there were huge issues with migrating from 16 to 32 bit, however the number of people using PC's back then was a fraction of what it is today and the scope of applications back then didn't include most things we take for granted today.

In my personal opinion I think Micro$oft and most PC manufacturers caught most hardware companies off guard. By this I mean the number of new machines coming with 64Bit as standard. Knowing that 99.9% applications are still 32bit they have been slow in releasing not only 64bit drivers, but stable 64bit drivers.

Selling PC's/Laptops with more than 4Gb of RAM was pointless before now. Now PC manufacturers are bumping up the memory in their machines to make them more attractive to buy and therefore have to provide 64bit to take advantage.

As Hippy pointed out it's not just VDJ that's affected, any application that will take advantage of your "hardware" will get in to trouble if the drivers aren't up to scratch.

We are still effectively in the "launch" stage of Win7, the dust still needs to settle and manufacturers need time to stablise their drivers.

It's a viscious circle that happens every time there a new OS is released, but everyone seems to forget the problems that occured last time!!!

Roy

Inviato Wed 10 Feb 10 @ 3:55 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)