Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Sync to MIDI timecode...

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I have a Roland MC-909 and would love it if VDJ could sync to MIDI timecode. I've looked and looked but I guess it isn't supported. I know FInal Scratch has midi timecode out, but I don't use FS, I use VDJ!

If this is a feature that I haven't found, cool, tell me where it is... otherwise this is one bit us remixer types would certainly love.

Inviato Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 5:50 am
I've noticed that sync to midi is a question dropped in other forums but no one ever answered the poster. Help, someone, please!

Inviato Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 5:51 am
cypressPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I’ve asked for this feature well over a year ago but no one seemed to take the idea onboard. I’ve since moved to Ableton LIVE as it does allow me to sync all my midi hardware and software, but doesnt support MP3 or realtime scratch abilities.
I (and other VDJ users) would def. be interested if VDJ decides to revisit this idea so we could sync VDJ with a master tempo.

Anyways fingers crossed!

Inviato Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 6:24 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
"VDJ could sync to MIDI timecode"

Sorry i don't understand what you mean. What do you call MIDI timecode?

Inviato Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 3:10 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
i think he's meaning the ability to send & sync a midi world clock signal, which would allow you to sync many other external devices together to a central source whether it is vdj or another peice of hardware.
for example you could use this to aautomatically tell a korg kaos pad what the bpm is so that it automatically syncs its effects amoungst many other things...

Inviato Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 3:35 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Full midi support, in other terms?

Inviato Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 3:37 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Dj Cel, midi timecode (MTC) is a way to synchronize audio/midi software and hardware
(sequencers, drum machines, tape decks etc)
There is a "master" device and a "slave" device.
The timecode idea is based on this (it is simillar) so its not so new technology...
The turntable (vinyl) is the "master", the dj software (Virtualdj / FS / ssl etc) is the "slave"...

I'm interested too on this subject, but mostly for rewire support, to sync with Abletton Live.

The problem i can think about to sync Vdj with other devices is that it has not just 1 master tempo to sync with, but 2 decks playing, they are not perfectly in sync each other, and the bpm calculation on vdj is not ...so perfect either.

Inviato Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 3:55 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
yeah, i'd like to see that... the more things that vdj can be fully compatable with the better

Inviato Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 3:56 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
no, full midi support would mean, amongst many other things, the ability to control any midi equipment from vdj, or for vdj to include synth capabilities to play midi sound when receiving certain midi signals.

there's a midi "bpm sync" signal that can travel thru all midi instruments so that those instruments can sync to the one that emits the signal. the demand here is simple: have vdj brodcast this midi signal through the computer midi device midi out.

related topic:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=13069

Inviato Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 3:58 pm
cypressPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I liked the rewire idea also but would be happy, if for starters VDJ could simply receive tempo, start and stop info on a midi in port.

Inviato Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 5:59 am
I've downloaded the demo version of Tracktor and am VERY unimpressed! Gheez, could NI have gotten it more wrong! I don't think so!

Well, it does support sync to MIDI but really sux at it. I'm pretty darn depressed about all this.

All I want is sync to MIDI Clock messages. If MTC is implemented you should be able to turn off start/stop and the other parts of the protocol.

This is how I would use MIDI Clock in VDJ:

I have a pattern playing on my Roland MC-909. I'm tweaking the filter and un-muting instruments... I then load a song I want to remix on both decks of VDJ. In the monitor I wait for VDJ to sync to the clock coming from the 909. Once the sync is steady I cut in deck A where appropriate. Keeping the drum track of the 909 pattern I que deck B with the next portion of the song. I then use a new pattern and some fxs (ring-mod / distortion and an LFO on some arp'd square) with a wash of a pad to transition to deck B...

Now this could go on all night! That! My friends is far cooler than jamming with your mouse! Yeah, yeah I know it takes more skill and knowledge of music and some comp experience (aka. Musician) ... but that's where we're headed!

See, if VDJ could be a friendly MIDI partner then very detailed remixes could become real-time event! I'm just not a DJ. I play my music live on the 909 and some modules and a single keyboard, BUT I really do not have two hours of my own music that will keep everyone dancing SOOO in comes VDJ. Now I can take other cool songs and make them blend seamlessly into my performance...

Ah, shoot! Someday all this stuff is gonna be so fun! Just what I've been able to do manually sinking my 909 and VDJ is something to behold!

Maybe somebody will read this and realize just how damn close VDJ is to being a first rate live performance tool and quit screwing around with the video (for now) and get their "sync on"!

Inviato Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 8:20 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)