Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Beginner! help! synthesizer and turntables etc - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

hey guys!

im 14 and want to start proper djing... using VDJ of course!!!

anyway, i need some help with what i need, trying to sound like Nick Skitz and Bexta, dance/techno sort of stuff.

i think i need a synthesiser, drum machine thing, and turntables (?)

am i right?

what is some stuff i could get that is cheap but pretty good?

please dont explain anything too technical, my brain might explode!!!!!

thanks heaps

DJ Turbo

Inviato Sat 18 Jun 05 @ 6:56 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
you want to mix music and you want to produce music..
these are two different things.

mixing goes well with vdj. for beginner you don't need more than vdj. by time you know what you missing. or maybe you don't miss a thing...
when you use vdj with a (more than one output) soundcard and a external mixer. your ready to play..

producing music is something else....
search on the net for some (trail)programmes for this.
this way you can see what producing means. it's not easy to make "the perfect song".
if you like it, you always can buy some cool stuff..

good luck

Inviato Sat 18 Jun 05 @ 7:13 am
thanks djjb,

so..... i dont need a synthesizer? then how do i get all those cool distorted sounds?

DJ Turbo

Inviato Sun 19 Jun 05 @ 12:12 pm
hi DJ Turbo wazz up man! where do you live man? just only asking if you dont mine.

Inviato Sun 19 Jun 05 @ 5:42 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey...Just download VDJ demo..all the cool sounds can come from the sample or FX section. You're just starting...play with the demo and then post :) I'm looking forward to you learning.

Inviato Mon 20 Jun 05 @ 3:38 am
hi.......lol.......i thought i would just say hi

Inviato Mon 20 Jun 05 @ 8:50 am
im from australia

go the aussies!

god dj beanie im trying to be serious here.

what i mean is all the distorted sounds. a keyboard synthesizer maybe?

i have downloaded VDJ demo and im talking tunes and stuff here.

its just sooo complicated!

thanks for your support so far!

DJ Turbo

Inviato Tue 21 Jun 05 @ 9:54 am
and i still dont get what producing music is and how it is different in the way of Nick Skitz etc.

someone PLEASE explain!!

DJ Turbo

Inviato Tue 21 Jun 05 @ 10:47 am
DJ Turbo. There are basically two types of software, one that creates music and another that is meant for live performances and DJing parties,clubs,etc. VDJ is mostly meant for the latter, live performances. While you can certainly do your fair share of production work (creating music using synthesizers for example) the other software (Abelton Live, Acid Pro, Cakewalk) provide far more options in the creation side. They include things like drumbeats and a very different interface that provides some various advantages over a live performance software like VDJ. So if you want to "create" music there is software designed for that and if you want to play at parties and get people dancing then VDJ is your thing.

Now, if you are just playing around, there are lots of things you can do with VDJ that are both creation and DJing. The various sound effects you mentioned are included in VDJ. I believe some are active in the Demo, but there are many more plug ins being created every day. Thinks like Flangers (that give you crazy different sounds), backspins, double flipper, boomerang, echo etc.. are all in VDJ. They also have a sample section where you can load various jingles, clips, beats etc. You can create a song by simply taking an instrumental verse of a song and looping it to repeat. Then you take an Acapella of another song and mix it on top and voila - MashUp.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Inviato Tue 21 Jun 05 @ 4:18 pm
cool! thanks a lot djej,

i think i kind of get it now

thanks heaps!

DJ Turbo

Inviato Wed 22 Jun 05 @ 1:23 am
another thing... can you create your own samples?

Inviato Wed 22 Jun 05 @ 1:24 am
Yes...but not drum machines/synsethizers...although you could record with another program and then play in the sample portion of VDJ.

Inviato Wed 22 Jun 05 @ 3:36 pm
how?

Inviato Thu 23 Jun 05 @ 2:08 am
umm............like id no........im tha same as u damn it

Inviato Thu 23 Jun 05 @ 2:37 am
the sample section of VDJ can play wav/mp3's/etc.. so you record a file of your drum machine or synth and you load into the sample section...press the button and it's playing on VDJ. Or, you can play that same MP3 of your drum machine on one of the decks and mix with it as well. Once it's a music file, VDJ can play it.

Inviato Thu 23 Jun 05 @ 8:01 pm
ok, ill try it out!

thanks!

DJ Turbo

Inviato Sat 25 Jun 05 @ 9:40 am
now about turntables..... do you have to actually buy the vinal versions of the songs you want or can you load the songs onto them like a computer?

DJ Turbo

Inviato Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 2:52 am
Dude, I've been following and helping you....but you have to do some work. Search the forum with your questions and you'll get plenty of answers. Yes you can play vinyl records with VDJ or you can control mp3's etc.... with time coded vinyl's. Good luck...I'm out.

Inviato Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 3:06 am
thanks for your help, but i am doing some work. i made this forum! i dont have a lot of time on the internet to do these kind of things.

now, please help,

what is the difference between scratch djs and beatmatching djs? i know know what scratching and beatmatching is, but why are they different? i was looking for some turntables and they asked for type of dj, and listed those 2.

also, which is the best software for producing music such as electronica, dance, hardcore kind of stuff? i found this good looking software called storm music studio. any better ones?

thanks heaps guys!

DJ Turbo

Inviato Wed 13 Jul 05 @ 10:00 am
Hmm..You seem confused about DJing and music composing.
Scratch DJs are mostly hiphop/rap playing djs...more of scratches than crossfades. Beatmatching DJs are more into techno or even commercial, dance, also hiphop, etc...but they are not much into scratching..it is difficult to explain this as it should be understood by experience. You are seeming to be a bit too fast with everything...i would suggest you too meet up with some club dj in your city and get some experience with turntables before you lay your virgin hands on them :)
For composing music, there are many softwares, though you must understand that not all let you do music like magic. You need a ear for it. You need to develop a taste and knowledge of music, Im just trying to make you more professional so that you know exactly what you do...
Try the demo versions of the softwares before you purchase them.
I think FruityLoops Studio is an excellent software. But it takes some time to understand the working. A lot scientific stuff there...but a very powerful software....all the best!

Inviato Wed 13 Jul 05 @ 12:03 pm
56%