Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: MARATHON or ODYSSEY flight cases -- which is the best? (Hercules RMX/Steel)

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

djrxmxPRO InfinityMember since 2010
http://www.sixstardj.com/maflremacato1.html

or

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ODYFZGSRMX

Guys,
Anyone here prefer the quality of one over the other. I've never owned a flight case before. I got my Hercules DJ Control Steel this year, and now I need a professional gig case in line with this (Marathon/Odyssey) design. Which should I get?
I will say that I think that at least from the pictures I've seen, the Marathon looks more impressive and robust.

Any opinions helpful. Thanks.

Rick "Rxmx" Ashmun

Inviato Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 3:51 pm
lcmxr6PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Odyssey case is ballin! I would highly highly recomend it, im very happy with this purchase, well worth the money

Inviato Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 4:58 pm
djrxmx wrote :
http://www.sixstardj.com/maflremacato1.html

or

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ODYFZGSRMX

Guys,
Anyone here prefer the quality of one over the other. I've never owned a flight case before. I got my Hercules DJ Control Steel this year, and now I need a professional gig case in line with this (Marathon/Odyssey) design. Which should I get?
I will say that I think that at least from the pictures I've seen, the Marathon looks more impressive and robust.

Any opinions helpful. Thanks.

Rick "Rxmx" Ashmun

I say go with the oddyssey for 20 bucks more your getting a better quality. I bought the oddyssey collapsable table from oddyseey and it looks well built the case is the next on my list. Just my 2 cents.

Inviato Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 5:01 pm
Interesting feedback, Icmxr6 and island sjoa...

There's a good chance I will end up doing what you guy say, but if you look at both cases fully opened with corresponding gear ready to go, the Marathon just seems to have a aesthetic, better look to it (including but not limited to) how the angle of the unfolded tray set extends. With the Odyssey it doesn't have as much of that style. I know I am being knit picky, what can I say, he he. But once again, I might end up going with, based on what you guys have shared, the Odyssey....

See pics for reference.

Inviato Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 5:34 pm
They are both great cases, but I like the Marathon better. I don't need the variable sliding tray. What, one more centimeter, and the laptop is on the floor? Cute drunk chicks know how to push, move, tip, spill, and just destroy stuff. I also don't need the extra 15 pounds. I have had both in my hand, and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in quality.

Inviato Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 7:38 pm
@ A man and his music,

Very interesting, and thanks for confirming the difference in weight. Yeah, the Odyssey case is double the weight. Is their a specific reason as to why the Odyssey is much much heavier?

In your opinion the craftsmanship is the same? Or do you know of the Odyssey being built possibly better than the Marathon. I am also curious if the Marathon case has a little compartment below the tray for the midi controller, like the Odyssey does.

Once again, as alluded to before, I like the look of the Marathon, but I for sure what the best craftsmanship....

Thanks thus far.

Inviato Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 8:05 pm
If I'm correct the odyssey is made out of MDF board which is more solid wood than the Marathon which is made out of Plywood. Thats where the weight difference is but it is 20 bucks cheaper which I say is 20 bucks more music to add to your library to.

Inviato Sat 20 Nov 10 @ 4:31 am
nice! I bought my flightcase at..........

Sorry no license users can not leave links

edited byAMAHM

Inviato Sat 26 Oct 13 @ 2:10 pm
Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I don't see why mdf would have a benefit over plywood. most high end speakers use plywood. If it weighs more, it will tend to get beat up more, from the extra effort it takes to move it around. I had an oddessy coffin a few years ago it got the job done, but it seemed a bit heavy vs it's level of protection. I wouldn't expect that it would have faired well on a flight. I've never used anything from Marathon, so I can't comment on their quality.

Inviato Sat 26 Oct 13 @ 4:10 pm
What's the worst that could happen? You drop it down a flight of stairs? It's not like you are dropping it from 100 feet. At it's worst, you may drop it 4 feet. I don't know if it will make that much difference, between cases, so I went with the one that weighed less. I believe the protection comes from the corners and edges, which are all metal. What's the chances you are going to drop it, where the wood surface, is going to land on a sharp, wood piercing spike?

Inviato Thu 31 Oct 13 @ 3:30 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
They are both great cases, but I like the Marathon better. I don't need the variable sliding tray. What, one more centimeter, and the laptop is on the floor? Cute drunk chicks know how to push, move, tip, spill, and just destroy stuff. I also don't need the extra 15 pounds. I have had both in my hand, and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in quality.

Thanks AMHA because the extra 15 lbs does matter when you use public transportation. I wanted to pick it up today but I ran out of time. I will be picking it up tomorrow and posting in the setup thread.

Inviato Wed 13 Aug 14 @ 1:37 am
djfourmoney wrote :
A Man and His Music wrote :

Thanks AMHA because the extra 15 lbs does matter when you use public transportation. I wanted to pick it up today but I ran out of time. I will be picking it up tomorrow and posting in the setup thread.

Well I got my case. I had to get the Odyessy because Hollywood DJ had it in-stock and Six Star who I called a few weeks back, said they had the Marathon case in stock, didn't.

They tried to sell me a case for the Denon MC3000.

Wasn't interested and went to Hollywood DJ and picked up the Odyessy. That 15lbs extra is a factor because I don't have a car and took the bus/subway from where I live all the way to Downtown LA.

I didn't have to carry it far, but I did walk about 1/2 mile or so with it and now my back brothers me.

Oh well; it also cost me $10 more than the Marathon case... #SMH

It does look great and I see what you mean about the variable sliding laptop shelf, pushed out a little too far and I can see how an overzealous party goer can knock off the laptop by crashing into it.

The key is moderation as always...

Inviato Fri 15 Aug 14 @ 5:08 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)